Mickey Thompson's D38AT Or BFGoodrich ko2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fengfengfeng

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This topic is over. I still booked ko2 and installed it the day after tomorrow. Some brands are out of stock, and some brands have increased prices. I will choose the one with more users.

Bros,How about the Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 AT? I'm more concerned about tire life. The D38AT is $30 more expensive than the ko2. I mostly run the asphalt road and occasionally go out to play. The stock Goodyear Wrangler tires are firm on the sides, and I still wanted something firmer. I've heard that the ko2 does not drain well and is prone to wear and tear. D38AT is very rare in China, I don't know much about it. Would like to hear your suggestions.There are too few brands selling 275 60 20 tires in China. ko2 is still produced in 21 years. The D38AT arrives next month. And the production date is the end of 21 years. Having said that, why did BFG ko2 change to 8pr, there is no white word yet. Very mindful of this kind of cutting corners.
And the Cooper at3 xlt. It costs only $260. But I've heard it's annoying, heavier, and consumes more gas. But it looks solid. ko2 costs $320. D38AT $350. The price difference is huge. I need to choose between these three. Please guys.
SmartSelect_20220726-114038_Samsung Internet.jpgSmartSelect_20220726-113708_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Tire life depends where you operate and what the environmental affects are indigenous to your area what the pavement is made from or the ground you cover the speed the weight tire pressure suspension a lot of factors.

In general I knew from growing up being told the pavement in Hawaii was infused with local basalt and in some places coral.

Thinking back on that, anywhere the majority of the local geology is volcanic there is going to be a predominately higher wear rate with it’s ground contact.

You’re aware there are at least two different sidewall ratings for the Ko2 tires ? The thickness of the sidewall defines the strength weight and price.

(There are some alternative brands and sizes at the bottom of the link)

Last edited:

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have been using ko2's for years. Must be on about my fifth set on two different trucks. Always been very happy with them.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
KO2 quality has taken a dive. They were once the benchmark to meet but now they are junk. Sidewall issues, tread cup and wear issues.

For what you described a simple Highway all-season would work.

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
KO2 quality has taken a dive. They were once the benchmark to meet but now they are junk. Sidewall issues, tread cup and wear issues.

For what you described a simple Highway all-season would work.

Another possible issue is how long have those tires been sitting around since they were made until they were installed. I (a while ago now) went and got replacement tires put on my Silverado, and I asked about different things with the tire installer there. One of the subjects that got brought up was there is a definite issue with manufactured rubber products if they are made and not used for a long time. I am not sure if there is a scale type of thing that applies to all items, or just tires, or what. But I do know from life experience that if you leave a tire on a vehicle and do not use it often, and do not protect it from the sun, it can dry rot the rubber. How long an extension you get from protecting (i.e. bagging) it, I do not know. I am not a rubber chemist.

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Several months now on my most recent set of KO2's and no issues whatsoever. And they carry a very heavy load (just over their maximum weight rating). I monitor their air pressure regularly and keep it right at 80 psi cold.