Might buy a new Power Wagon. Used market for trade is nuts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vykngfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took the plunge a couple of weeks ago. New truck was not in the plans but curiosity got the best of me. Practically gave me what I paid for it 4 years ago. Traded my 2017 Larimie 1500 for a 2021 Power Wagon 2500. Had the options I wanted and couldn't pass it up. Love my new PW!!

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
yeah that's a pretty good trade up if you've had it that long. Congrats. And actually finding one close to you.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What I can’t figure out is who are the buyers who are paying as much or more for used trucks than a new one costs?
While I understand where you are coming from, I don't think that is actually happening. While the value of used trucks is way up so is the cost of new ones. When I was shopping for PW's in Dec. 2019 I made up a spreadsheet of all the ones I found within a reasonable drive and what the selling price was. Found that sheet and was looking at it compared to current prices. At that time I could have bought a new '19 PW with a sticker price of $59,655 for $47,900 after all the rebates and incentives. At that same dealership today they have a PW sitting on the lot with almost the exact same sticker price of $59,565 but it's going to cost $55,900 to drive it off the lot.
A little background on this.....I went that dealer first thing Saturday morning with the intent of buying the $47,900 new '19 model but they had just sold it the night before. Wound up buying a super clean '16 with 25k miles on it for $34k that they had on the lot. So the current trade-in value for my truck is just under $44k so $10k more than I paid for it, but the cost of buying a new one is also $8k higher than it was 18 months ago. If you look at it in perspective to the cost of a new truck, my used truck is only really worth $2k more.
Don't forget taxes also.....in the above scenario that new $55,900 truck is going to cost closer to $60k OTD with taxes and title.

Last edited:

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
@62Blazer that’s an excellent analysis. The only thing I have to add is you’re my kind of person; someone with analytical skills and the ability to run the numbers.

I do think less informed buyers do get taken in the buying process more so than someone like you.

I haven’t done any research to fact check the anecdotal reports you hear in forums like this, since I’m not in the market to buy or sell.

Great work on cutting through the crap to get your latest.

PWonly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Odd market these days! Trade in and get high value, only to turn around and have to pay inflated prices on new (and used) vehicles.

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I've got 6 days to pick a color and decide on ram boxes or no ram boxes. I'm on the fence between olive green and straight black. Got a lot more information on the packages today. Just need to figure out a few other things. The level 3 package for the wagons is basically the 75th package minus the sliders and the bead lock wheels. There are two options and codes for buckets one of which comes on the level three and I'm really hoping the second option is for an addition to the level 2 package. I don't dislike a thing about the Ram Boxes but it limits me to putting a wheeler in my truck. I dunno. I'll have to decide in a few days. I have the double dark tint blitz wheels which change in the light and I think they'd go perfect with the olive green pearl.

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah I really can’t choose. The green is pretty cool though

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I loved the Ramboxes on my 2017 Rebel. I went without them on my 2021 75A Power Wagon...decided on a Softopper and ratchet bars along with some storage bins in the back for storage.

While the Rambox is a good choice...and I used to swear by them....they limit the future add ons. No topper...only a Tonneau cover. Now I can fit more inside (and go higher) The ratchet bars will keep
anything in my bed secure.

It's personal choice. I probably didn't help with your decision...sorry!

I did see a Green Olive 75A in my town a couple weeks ago. It is a sharp color.

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah I'm going to go with the green. I'm tempted to ask what a color matching topper would run me but I bet it's a ton of money. I like to toss wheelers and dirt bikes in the back on occasion so I don't think a topper would be a good idea anyways. I think I'm going to go with the ram boxes because I just toss too much stuff in mine to justify not having them. I might look at storage solutions a bit more before we finally make the order. I'm definitely going to get a diamondback tonneau this go around.

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
well they don't know the special fleet pricing for my power wagon yet so I'm impatiently waiting. The prices on them went up about 2000 bucks from last year. At least with my build. I think base price went up 1000

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
well they won't know the fleet pricing until the chip **** is figured out so screw it. I'm keeping mine!

Coats

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dude, I don't think they are going to give you special pricing. Not when they have been and are selling every truck on their lots for sticker price, if not more. They try and back you into a corner by telling you that they cannot order BUT hey look at our pre-owned trucks which are insanely priced. The "chip thing" is everyone's excuse these days on why you cannot have a vehicle ordered. Sticker on my rig was $66K and after taxes/tags it was $70K. Wait, I got $500 off for a military discount. I managed to find the only brand new PW for sale in my area of PA. Ram boxes are especially nice as the D side houses an outlet. You can literally charge batteries, laptops, tools whatever while on the move :)
PW2.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It's through a fleet program for LEO fire fighter etc. Google it. The money comes out of FCA's pocket not the dealer. https://www.fcausfleet.com/first-responder.html

Every dealer can participate they just don't have to if they don't want. My buddy just got this deal. Almost 13000 off his. That' not typical but he got a better deal because his was backed out on. I think he got the fleet deal plus whatever the dealer was willing to knock off.

Coats

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, I understand. That's is a sweet deal your buddy got for sure. If the dealers were made to be held to that program it would be even better. I have never heard of it. I bought a Challenger WB Scat in 2020 waited 4 months for it to arrive, but again only $500 off. Now I also received the Power Dollars rebate which combined with dealer rebate my $50K Challenger cost me $42K out the door. I sold it this year for $46K :) With Chevy, they were allowed to authorize invoice pricing which would have come to around $6K off of a Trail Boss 6.2. Every dealer i went to would not honor the invoice pricing because the demand was too high. They would offer $500 off. It just sucks all the way around. NO wiggle room/can't hardly order on NEW as the demand is too high and chip shortage lol On the other side USED truck prices are commanding a premium. Good luck w your new PW hunting. They are out there here and there but more than likely its gonna dig into your wallet

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
oh no I'm not arguing right now. Who knows with the lack of inventory if they would currently do it. As I said earlier, they don't even have the pricing program for 2022. I'm not counting my chickens.