Mileage discrepancy.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlooDSMeaR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On been truck hunting for a few months. I found a very fully loaded 1500 sport/night. They had it listed as 38K. I was all in because the dealer was giving me more then what I paid for the truck I was trading in.
The dealer claimed it only has 16K miles on it.
I mentioned that I thought the mileage was not accurate. It didn’t line up to the amount of wear in the tires , and it just has a look of more use then 16K.

I bought it. A few days ago.
While I was waiting for my wife I was circling through the dash gauges and the oil life last reset read 40K!

Now I think my hunch has been confirmed.
Is thereA way to read the mileage out of a pcm? I’m going to go hard with the dealer because I paid to price for low mileage….

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
What does the odometer show?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I believe the mileage can be read from the ECM also. Sounds like you might want to pull a CarFax report on this VIN, if the dash mileage is less than what's reported on CarFax the dealership can get in major trouble if they didn't have you sign a form disclosing the discrepancy of mileage.
While you're at it, look build sheet using the VIN here: https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing
Check if this truck was built for Canada and the EVIC was changed. Canadian EVIC are primarily metric.

OP
OP
B

BlooDSMeaR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The millage shows on the odometer @ 16,955
What does the odometer show?

I believe the mileage can be read from the ECM also. Sounds like you might want to pull a CarFax report on this VIN, if the dash mileage is less than what's reported on CarFax the dealership can get in major trouble if they didn't have you sign a form disclosing the discrepancy of mileage.
While you're at it, look build sheet using the VIN here: https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing
Check if this truck was built for Canada and the EVIC was changed. Canadian EVIC are primarily metric.
The truck was local to the state of Oregon, I saw the car fax there were hardly any vehicle notations, it was a one owner truck registered to a corporation. There were no maintenance records. Only registration dates. The carfax build sheet matches the truck.
Could that incidentally be 40,000kms? But even that is 24,000 ish
Not a possibility, it in US miles.

Gommer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500, 2018 2500
Engine
5.7 and 6.7
Make sure you document, pictures/video, of the mileage reset for the oil life.

The mileage is not stored in the PCM/ECM, I've swapped PCM's on my truck twice and the mileage does not change. No idea how to check it, I'd imagine only a dealership could help you with that. I'm sure it's manufacturer specific.

I do know it's a federal crime, has been for decades, to alter the vehicle mileage.

EDIT: Also wanted to add, tires are probably not a great indicator of a mileage discrepancy, especially on trucks. People buy aftermarket wheels and tires for their trucks all the time, probably the #1 mod done on trucks. Then when they go to sell them, look for OEM used take-offs to put back on their trucks because you basically get nothing for the wheels/tires you added. I did this when I sold my 2020. It had 12k miles on the truck and the wheels/tires I put on it to sell it to give me the vin probably had 20.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I would send a letter to your states Attorney General office letting them know what you found and at the same time copy the dealership on that letter.
You'll hear from the dealer real quick.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
as was mentioned above
when ppl sell a vehicle, they tend to put some old tires & wheels on it
dealerships don't pay you for good tires on a trade in

I know that you can read an Odometer, whether it reads in MILES or Kilometers

etbrown4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Everyone knows it's a federal crime to alter the mileage. Just don't know who did it.

I'd demand a $5,000 refund, or tell them I'll be going to the dealer board or the authorities.

Otherwise you are entitled to return the truck and get all your money back!

OP
OP
B

BlooDSMeaR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been in contact with the dealership. For now I’m not going to blast them.
My hour meter reads 626 driving hours. Take that and x60= 37,560. That makes it really close to the 40K S is showing On the oil change life time reading.
Here in Oregon, I’m able to get $10,000 or 3x the damages, which ever is more. The dealership is aware of that. So I might be able to swing a decent refund.
The dealer has made an appointment for me to take it to Dodge to get a pcm scan done.
I will keep you guys updated.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
could it just be a trip showing and not the full milage, can't believe a dealer could be that stupid?

dtomar

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s not realistic to assume all 626 driving hours were at an average of 60 mph. I’d bet the average mph over those 626 hours is more like 30 or 40 mph.

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
It’s not realistic to assume all 626 driving hours were at an average of 60 mph. I’d bet the average mph over those 626 hours is more like 30 or 40 mph.
Yea I have over 700 drive hours and only have 31K.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Make sure you take pictures of all the data, preferably with a marker in the frame to catch date. I used to use a newspaper on such things to eliminate the thought that an electronic item could be altered. Good luck

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i just went and looked and figured mine out and for 21250 miles I am over 49mph ie 432 hours. A lot of those hours are crawling at 5-10mph offroading. so according to his miles and hours he would be at 27mph average. that seems pretty low but maybe all city miles. not sure what happened but something does not seem right whether intentional or just a glitch will be interesting to find out.

shmedley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stupid question, was the truck running or at least in the on position when you went through the gauges?
When my 14 is just in the accessory position it reads 40631 miles since reset. As soon as it's in run position the mileage is correct for the oil change. I bought the truck new.
Might be the same in a 5th gen?

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
could it just be a trip showing and not the full milage, can't believe a dealer could be that stupid?
Ever watch Steve Lehtos YouTube videos? There are some that stupid.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 72184 miles

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
So I was really interested in this so I actually pulled my hour/time. The last time I looked I thought it was over 700 hours, but it's actually 928 hours. I have 31920 miles, so that is just over 34 mph. So its total possible his hours/milage matches. I would not go by tires as my stock goodyears were crap by 20K. My oil monitor just shows the actual mileage of the truck and a percent.