Mind Boggling - Truck Will Only Start When Cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charles LLeaf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Greetings, Dodge friends.

I own a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 (Hemi) 4x4 and, over the past number of months, I've been having a lot of trouble with the engine starting up.

In the morning, it starts just fine. However, if I hit the road and turn it off for a short time, it will not start again. I have changed the spark plugs, the oxygen sensor and the fuel pump. The only way I can get it to start (say, at the gas station after fueling up), is to spray some starter fluid into the air hose that sits above the motor. And, every once in a while, the starter fluid doesn't work - especially if I allow the truck to idle for a time, then shut it off. This is when it's at its worst.

Even though my truck is fuel injected, it seems to flood out and won't start. Is this even possible? It also seems to be running rich.

I am at a total loss here on what it could be and would greatly appreciate any ideas you might have on my hair pulling issue.

Much thanks,
Charles

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you think it's flooding out, it might be a fuel pressure regulator or a plugged return line. You'll need to check the fuel rail pressure.
I actually had a bad sending unit in a work van, the mechanic and service manager were completely baffled how that was causing too much fuel pressure. They even replaced the pressure regulator twice.

OP
OP
Charles LLeaf

Charles LLeaf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did change out the fuel pump which is inside the gas tank. The pump is brand new. I was thinking the pressure regulator is on that new pump but maybe I'm wrong. In any event, I will check the fuel line and try to figure out exactly where the pressure regulator is at.

Thank you, friend, for your thoughts. It is pointing me in a different direction and I appreciate it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I took a quick look on RockAuto.com your correct that the fuel pressure regulator which is also part of the fuel filter, which is on the top of the fuel pump assembly. The regulator assembly is individually replaceable.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It is also possible for injectors to stick open and flood the engine, but that is usually a problem on all starts not just warm.

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Greetings, Dodge friends.

I own a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 (Hemi) 4x4 and, over the past number of months, I've been having a lot of trouble with the engine starting up.

In the morning, it starts just fine. However, if I hit the road and turn it off for a short time, it will not start again. I have changed the spark plugs, the oxygen sensor and the fuel pump. The only way I can get it to start (say, at the gas station after fueling up), is to spray some starter fluid into the air hose that sits above the motor. And, every once in a while, the starter fluid doesn't work - especially if I allow the truck to idle for a time, then shut it off. This is when it's at its worst.

Even though my truck is fuel injected, it seems to flood out and won't start. Is this even possible? It also seems to be running rich.

I am at a total loss here on what it could be and would greatly appreciate any ideas you might have on my hair pulling issue.

Much thanks,
Charles
Do you still have converter in the exhaust they tend to plug up and tps could be bad do you have erratic shifts?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Let me make an Edumacated guess

What Series size is your Battery
In other words, How big is your Unit

OP
OP
Charles LLeaf

Charles LLeaf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you still have converter in the exhaust they tend to plug up and tps could be bad do you have erratic shifts?

The original converter is still in place. Shifting (automatic) is smooth.

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The original converter is still in place. Shifting (automatic) is smooth.
Converters do plug and cause those issues usually power loss as well. You can check them with heat gun,YouTube it if you want

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If your Battery Group or Series size is less than Group Size 65,
It is too small, if less than 65

1000 CCA is good, but is it a Group 65 or larger

What your Ram calls for ..
Cold Cranking Amps 770