Minor accident - Calgary

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Guys,

Today morning i had an accident while reversing. Construction crew was all around in the alley and i reversed and hit the garbage container.
Pic attached.

1. How much will it cost to replace the metallic grey bumper in 2014 Dodge ram 1500? also there are few minor scratches which needs to be done.
2. Is it good to go to a auto body shop and will they fix this (or) good to go for a new bumper?
3. How much will it cost to replace the driver side rear indicator light (cover)?
4. Should i report it to the police?
5. Am thinking of doing by a local mechanic than going to a dodge dealer.

Do anyone know any shops to get this done in Calgary?

Please advice.

Car 1.jpg

Car 2.jpg

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The bumper is a painted bumper so whether you have the old one repaired if possible, or a new one ordered it will need to be painted as they come I painted from the factory, so either way will be a body shop.

The tail light is easy to replace yourself. You can buy a new one from Ram or you could try to find a used one at a junk yard for a lot less money.

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Thanks Cbsmith.

How about the few scratches on the side? how much it will cost to fix those? I watched some video and looks like is easy to change the light by myself. Any idea where i can buy them? Amazon, ebay etc....

Last edited:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
It's pretty straight forward. Just take it to a ram dealer or a good body shop and they can do all or as little of that you want them to do. You probably could go to a junk yard and even find a already painted bumper to swap yours with. Good rubbing compound could minimize your scratches, a body shop would probably try to buff it first depending on the depth of the scratches if it needs paint repair that's another ball game. Then just replace the light. No point to report to the police you dont need a accident report. You can just file a claim on your insurance and say look I backed into a dumpster pay your deductible and they will cover it as long as you have collision on your insurance. I would get quotes first we have had 2 incidents with my wifes vehicles. 1 her and another person were backing out at the same time and traded paint and it was a I'll take care of mine you take care of yours and they moved on. There was no damage to her crush bumper so just a repaint on the bumper was 550 ( peril paint) so wasent worth getting the insurance Involved for $50. The second time she took off a mirror backing out of the garage again it was just under $600 to get the mirror replaced (it had the 360° camera in it and paint matched) so I didn't want to get them involved for less than a $100.

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Called dodge crowfoot today morning and they quoted

Left rear tail light assembly $432
Bumper $585 + $500 painting (original painting)

Labor 2 hours for both bumper and tail foot assembly - $150/hour = $300/hour

But they mentioned we have to take it to a bodyshop for removal of dents as the dealer wont do that. The mgr suggested me to go to Horton Auto Body & Paint, 9815 Horton Rd SW, Calgary. If they are already going to paint my bumper, wont be easier for them to even fix the dent and fix the scratches with the same paint.

P:S: You mean $500 and $1000, because you said $50/$100

Last edited:

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am not a fan of Horton Auto Body myself. They are by far the most expensive place I have seen. I have been there for a few estimates and they are always the highest by a long shot. The last time I was there I bought a truck with a small dent in the front fender. The truck was only a couple of years old and white, he told me I had get the whole fender, door and half the truck box on the drivers side painted to blend it in. The estimate was over 3 grand. I ended up getting it fixed for 500 bucks at another shop and you could not tell it was there. I had that truck almost 10 years before I sold it and the fender still looked great. I expect a business to make money but don't expect them to screw me. Maybe they are better now. I have not had to deal with any auto body shops since and the guy who did mine packed up his shop and moved it to Saskatchewan so I don't have any recommendations for you. I would check out reviews online and go from there.

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
How do i know if 2014 Ram sport 1500 has LED light or regular lights for the tail lights? any idea?

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
How do i know if 2014 Ram sport 1500 has LED light or regular lights for the tail lights? any idea?

LED, I replaced mine 14 Sport for a little over $200. Try the advertisers here or Ebay. You can also buy the bumper on Ebay for $200 or so.. Shipping to Canada may add to the cost, however. Before I'd claim it on my insurance, I'd see if you could get that color on the bumper from an Ebay source. Here's a start, you might contact a seller that sells these and see if they can supply one painted your color.

Lasty, see if you can find a shop that will paint the bumper and take care of the issue above the tailight if you have to buy one unpainted.

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Thanks Avanti. Am assuming you are in the US. I checked the lights and is pretty much the same in Cad. Can you please let me know if this is the same tail assembly?

This one in ebay is $240 CAD including shipping inside canada.

Car light.jpg

Damaged car.jpg

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can definitely swap the brake light and bumper out yourself. There's a seller on Ebay who sells the bumpers PAINTED! You just need to send him your paint code. I THINK I only paid like 300$ for the bumper when I bought one. These are very easy parts to swap. Please don't pay thousands of dollars for a body shop or dealer to make these repairs for you.

bumper, granted it's painted white (mine was white) - but 300$ and you can have it repainted probably for another 100$. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Painted-Wh...am+1500+bumper&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

The tail light can be found on Ebay also. Or you can even buy a new aftermarket set of LED brake lights with a different look for possibly even cheaper than you could buy one factory brake light. Just up to you.

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Thanks Firemedic,Avanti, 14 hemi and all of you. I found in Ebay the lighting matches with my existing lights, so thinking of ordering it from there. For the bumper itself, am not sure whether the damaged bumper can be welded and bodyshopped and no need for new one (or) do i need a new one? i will know once i take it to the body shop.

Firemedid, i already contacted the seller in ebay about painting my dark metallic color. Waiting for his reply.

What do you guys think of Partify parts? has anyone ordered from them before? am getting a steel bumper (painted) with dual exhaust holes and park sensor for $540 or $550 CAD including shipping an all.

Any suggestions?

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Thanks Avanti. Am assuming you are in the US. I checked the lights and is pretty much the same in Cad. Can you please let me know if this is the same tail assembly?

This one in ebay is $240 CAD including shipping inside canada.

View attachment 134515

View attachment 134516

My 14 Sport is Canadian specs as it was delivered to Canada originally and the LED tail light that I ordered in the US fit perfectly.

Huongo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a similar ding in my bumper, I didnt have to pay since it wasn't my fault. The quote I got from Cochrane Image Autobody was about 1500$ They replaced the entire bumper as trying to fix the ding would have costed more and not worth the effort.