"Mint-like?" smell coming from engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cory733

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Idk how else to describe it, but I notice the exact same smell with my 2004 Grand Cherokee 4.7 H.O. , but ONLY when opening the oil cap, there was always a minty or menthol like smell, so basically I just noticed it when changing the oil.

With my Ram, this smell is present whenever the engine has been running, I can smell it outside just walking by the hood.

Probably sounds weird but it's very obvious and am wondering if it's a warning sign of something bad happening. I've driven a Family members 2010 Hemi a lot and it never has this smell.

Just bought it two months ago, it's a 2015 Big Horn 5.7, certified by pre-owned with 60k miles.

Anyone notice this before on theirs, or know what this could be?

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you smell something sweet while the engine is hot you've likely got a coolant leak somewhere. Might be a small one from a cracked hose or worn gasket. Could even be a bad radiator cap that is allowing a little to seep out when under pressure.

Keep an eye on that coolant level and see if it drops.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
How is your coolant level?

It’s been my experience that coolant typically has a sweet smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I never thought of it as "sweet" before, but it's a good description. I knew it to be coolant from the years repairing cars and I always just thought of it as being coolant. Old timers might remember alcohol antifreeze and that had a sweet smell, too.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Sweet mint,,,,Sure would make me start looking for a coolant leak. On the 5.7, the first place I would check is the thermostat housing. They do leak after we get some miles on them. Also, the prior owner may have changed the thermostat and not reinstalled the thermostat housing properly. Hope it is simple and case solved.

OP
OP
cory733

cory733

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys, I didn't find any coolant leaks yet. I'll keep checking, have to look up where the thermostat housing is.. Also might bring it in for a recall (something with the cruise control), and I'll ask them to check for a coolant leak also while it's there.