Misfire, only sometimes.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Taylor513

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This has me scratching my head.. my truck skips / misfires only when it’s hot outside, like 100+ degrees. Well, living in AZ this is pretty common. It only does this when starting the truck, never while driving. Whenever it’s not hot the trucks starts like normal. My initial thought was spark plugs but talking with friends they said it could be a starter shim issue and isn’t that big of a deal. Was wondering if anyone had this same issue or any suggestions. 2015 with 99K on it. However it did it last summer as well but we had a mild summer so it didn’t do it that much.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check your stored codes
Check your plugs
Swap coil pack from a good Cyl
Ect ect ect !!! Its a process of elimination.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Misfire? Not sure about that, maybe just a hesitation? Did you get a p0300 code?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Have to replaced air filter? Hot air has less o2, it is possible it is an ai issue.

OP
OP
Taylor513

Taylor513

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Misfire? Not sure about that, maybe just a hesitation? Did you get a p0300 code?
You’re right, not necessarily a misfire. It could be described as a hesitation. I haven’t received any thrown codes and the air filter is a k&n that I check and clean if needed when I change my oil.

OP
OP
Taylor513

Taylor513

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check your stored codes
Check your plugs
Swap coil pack from a good Cyl
Ect ect ect !!! Its a process of elimination.
No stored codes, I’ll have to go through the check list of things and see if any of them make a difference. Figured I’d try here first to save time if someone has had the issue before. Only happens when the truck sits in the sun and hits a certain temp outside.

OP
OP
Taylor513

Taylor513

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was told to not really worry about it since it’s not a everyday thing but only when the truck gets baked in the sun. However it bothers me when something is off like that with my truck and I’d rather it not continue to happen

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
next time it is hot, take of the kn and see if it does this.

You truck is always adjusting for o2 levels, all trucks do, sometimes when starting when hot it hasnt had a chance to adjust. Try opening the air flow on start, then if this is the issue, you can get a different filter.

OP
OP
Taylor513

Taylor513

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So a little update.. taking off the K&N didn't see a difference. However when its hot out and I put the key to acc and then turn it off and repeat 3 times it starts just fine. I'm not a mechanic so I have no idea so I'm just speculating. Could it be a fuel pump issue?

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any chance it happens more often when you are below a half tank of fuel?

Priming the pump 3x makes me think its more fuel pump related though.

OP
OP
Taylor513

Taylor513

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any chance it happens more often when you are below a half tank of fuel?

Priming the pump 3x makes me think its more fuel pump related though.
I'm also thinking its a fuel pump issue. I haven't noticed any difference when I have a full tank vs when I'm at a quarter or less. Which I thought was strange

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I'm also thinking its a fuel pump issue. I haven't noticed any difference when I have a full tank vs when I'm at a quarter or less. Which I thought was strange
Or fuel pump relay. Had this exact issue in my old Pontiac.