Mix door not closing completely

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
My heater core was leaking antifreeze in the cab. I had the shop bypass the heater core. A month or so later my a/c was not blowing cold and they found a leak in my heat exchanger( also in the cab ). I have to have A/C so I said to fix it , and while they were at it to put in a new heater core. ( and they destroyed my brittle dash even more but that’s another story).
After that the A/C never blew full cold again. I took it back in but it was still fully charged.
That was at the end of an AZ summer and I have to figure out why my previously awesome A/C is now tepid.
I suspect the mix door because when I am on internal recirculate setting I can smell road fumes/oil/exhaust sometimes- and this was never the case when the a/c was working properly.

I should say that when they rechecked and said it was still fully charged the vent temp was about 10 degrees hotter than it should have been.

Can I see/ test the vent door operation without removing my dash?

Thanks for any ideas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The actuator door is at the bottom of the dash, near the transmission hump. It's tight to the floor. If you don't hear the door motor kicking in, or if it's partially moving, you can get it.

The easiest way to get it out is, pull the carpet out. Grab a 90* angle phillips screwdriver. Take a razor, and make a slit in the rubber floor mat, so it's easier to get the screwdriver under there.

I should add, this is passenger side. The motor will come down. If the plastic piece is crumbled, (common), Heater Treater makes a metal one. That might be the problem.

I'm jumping ahead on this, so you don't have to do it twice. Once the motor is down, you can move the blender door manually. If any of the above is wrong, you can fix it right there.

OP
OP
DodgeLady

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
The actuator door is at the bottom of the dash, near the transmission hump. It's tight to the floor. If you don't hear the door motor kicking in, or if it's partially moving, you can get it.

The easiest way to get it out is, pull the carpet out. Grab a 90* angle phillips screwdriver. Take a razor, and make a slit in the rubber floor mat, so it's easier to get the screwdriver under there.

I should add, this is passenger side. The motor will come down. If the plastic piece is crumbled, (common), Heater Treater makes a metal one. That might be the problem.

I'm jumping ahead on this, so you don't have to do it twice. Once the motor is down, you can move the blender door manually. If any of the above is wrong, you can fix it right there.

This is timely! I watched a video last night on this very topic- doing exactly what you describe. Thanks!
I’m thinking that I also have a recirculate door problem- because when I have the knob sitting on internal air only I can smell “ road” oders— oil, fumes etc periodically. This never used to be the case. Also at the end of last summer a/c was not blowing full cold.
I’ve got to fix this cuz it’s a showstopper for me in Phoenix! I’m a wimp! Lol!

Reactions: Mop

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is timely! I watched a video last night on this very topic- doing exactly what you describe. Thanks!
I’ve got to fix this cuz it’s a showstopper for me in Phoenix! I’m a wimp! Lol!

I did this in my '99 Sport about a year ago. Hardly took an hour. My temperature was mild on both heat and A/C. Local mechanic thought the actuator was bad. It was just the plasitc piece that acts as the hinge. I bought the metal one, and everything works like new.

OP
OP
DodgeLady

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
I did this in my '99 Sport about a year ago. Hardly took an hour. My temperature was mild on both heat and A/C. Local mechanic thought the actuator was bad. It was just the plasitc piece that acts as the hinge. I bought the metal one, and everything works like new.

It sounds like I should at least start by looking at this first before I go tearing out the whole dash! I will and I’ll keep you posted. Where did you get your new piece? Heater beater? Or something like that?

Reactions: Mop

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where did you get your new piece? Heater beater? Or something like that?

Heater Treater. it's a direct replacement for the plastic piece, that crumbles over time. Just take your time, and be careful. The door is going to be in the position that you have the heat/cold setting on. Be sure you have the door in that same position when you put the motor back in.
It's tight, and you really have to be patient.

OP
OP
DodgeLady

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
How would I reset the actuator if I wasn't careful remembering how it was to start?

If you are using the heater treater part I would call them to see if they can help. I’m sure you’re not the first to do this!
I didn’t use heater treater part.
Good luck!

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I didn't realize that a 97 used stepper motors in the HVAC system. My 98 blend door was cable driven and the rest was all vacuum actuated.

OP
OP
DodgeLady

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
I didn't realize that a 97 used stepper motors in the HVAC system. My 98 blend door was cable driven and the rest was all vacuum actuated.

My 97 is cable driven.