Mobil 1? Why not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my second Hemi RAM now, first was a 2012 model. Have been a Mobil 1 fan since the early 00's, use it in every vehicle I own. Currently running 5w-20 "extended performance" with a good synthetic filter. Change it every 5k to 6k miles and haven't had a single issue.

Honestly I could probably push the extended performance stuff further than that, as it doesn't look all that terrible when changed. I just do it in that mileage range for my own peace of mind.

Found a good local oil-change place here in town with staff that actually give a darn about what they are doing and they change it for about $20 more than if I did it myself. For that price I can't complain.

michaelm_ski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
Pennzoil is good oil IF you race BUT if you do NOT change your oil as you should it eventually starts to turn into a plastic material on your valve covers and your oil pickup tube and I can tell you from not just my experience but also several vehicles I bought used . Mobile 1 I have not had any problems with even going three thousand miles over my oil changes I would say if you can afford the Mobile 1 go with it and if you want the Pennzoil make sure you change it religiously on time .

SnaefellMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Talked to dealer today..he said mobile 1 does not void warranty and has some customers who request it over pennzoil (the recommended) any input? Even seen a guy who claims the hemi tick is more with mobile 1 to story's of being able to void warranty??? Any ideas? Need and oil change..just drove to Kentucky for a new toy!View attachment 244657
Can't help with your question, but nice bike!

tjbrowder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I ran the Pennzoil 0W40 SRT oil in my Hellcats (2016 narrow body and 2018 widebody Challys), my 2017 Scat Pack Charger and now in my truck. No issues whatsoever. Can get it on Amazon or the dealer...so no problems getting it whenever I need it.

Use whatever keeps you happy.....your truck, your money, your decisions.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Power wagons which this is about take 0W40 and mobil1 does not meat the ms-12633 or the new ms-A0921, which apparently has superseded the ms12633. MS6395 is not the spec the oil 0w40 for a 6.4 needs to meet.

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9

eddie046

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll add my "****-head" comment here...

"The MOTOR gained 15 hp"...

My PW has an ENGINE... any other truck without one surely has an very long extension cord or a huge battery bank. The "motor" description has been a pet-peeve since I got called out for saying it during an A&P (airframe & powerplant) training class back in the early 80's when I was more ignorant than today!
Sorry guys, I had to say it.
Amen, learned that in the Navy many decades ago. Engines use either internal or external combustion and convert it to energy. Motors are electrical, pneumatic or hydraulic.

oilslick

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 1500 4x4 Bighorn Built to Serve edition
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
Let's NOT forget the oil filters boys!!! LOL!!! They're not all made the same.

:33:

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a lifetime warranty and don't want any trouble with it being honored in the event of an engine failure. Therefore, I run Penzoil 0W40 on a 5,000 mile change interval. No other oil is certified to meet the proper MS-12633 spec set forth by Ram. Amsoil claims their Signature Series 0W40 can be used where 12633 is called for. However, as good as Amsoil is at the end of the day it's not an API certified oil so beware.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a lifetime warranty and don't want any trouble with it being honored in the event of an engine failure. Therefore, I run Penzoil 0W40 on a 5,000 mile change interval. No other oil is certified to meet the proper MS-12633 spec set forth by Ram. Amsoil claims their Signature Series 0W40 can be used where 12633 is called for. However, as good as Amsoil is at the end of the day it's not an API certified oil so beware.
while they do say mopar 0w40 is recommended too.
68171066PC

tjbrowder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
while they do say mopar 0w40 is recommended too.
68171066PC
Same as the Pennzoil 0w40. It’s blended and packaged by SOPUS (Shell Oil Products US). Pennzoil is a brand of SOPUS.

Scotts26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Amsoil SS 0W40 meets MS-12633. I doubt a company who made their name in high performance lubricants would lie about that but I guess you never know. My personal experience leads me to trust Amsoil products more than Penzoil.

API certification doesn’t really mean anything. Mopar doesn’t mention anything about oil being API certified. Amsoil likely doesn’t want or need to pay the fees to get API certified or the licensing fees to use the API trademarks.

Edit: After some research Amsoil oils aren’t API certified due to phosphorus content. Apparently if Amsoil reduced the phosphorus content to meet API cert it would reduce the performance of the oil.

Last edited:

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has been discussed several times in the synthetic oil thread but I'll say it again: In 2013 the EPA mandated changes in the additives to all motor oils thus lowering some of the additive content by a significant amount in some cases. The Hemi needs a fairly large mount of MOLY(Molybdenum) which has mostly been removed from some Mobil 1 products. From what I've seen the Annual Protection is the only one that seems to have a good additive pack and unfortunately its the most expensive. Fact of the matter is if you get any startup chatter, even if its only once in a blue moon more than likely you're going to have cam/lifter problems down the road. It's not a case of if, it's a case of when depending upon how long you keep the truck.

Ram Vendetta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Talked to dealer today..he said mobile 1 does not void warranty and has some customers who request it over pennzoil (the recommended) any input? Even seen a guy who claims the hemi tick is more with mobile 1 to story's of being able to void warranty??? Any ideas? Need and oil change..just drove to Kentucky for a new toy!View attachment 244657
Yeah ok, and you have that in writing? Of course not because it’s bogus BS.

Ram Vendetta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The thing is it doesn’t meet the spec. Which has been discussed many times in this forum. Considering all the oil threads it’s amazing how few people are informed.

Now I don’t care what oil anyone chooses to use; if you want to give FCA a freebie to void the warranty, it’s not my battle.
Exactly, it DOES NOT meet the spec, amazing how dense people are. Have NO SYMPATHY when their warranty is DENIED.

tjbrowder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L