Mobil 1? Why not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine

I know you, and everyone who’s posted the same misinformation mean well. However, this is the POWER WAGON forum, and the topic is regarding the specification for the 6.4 which is different.

It’s one of the idiosyncrasies of this forum that the way it’s segmented, it’s difficult for people to realize they’ve wandered into a specific model area. I wish they’d color code the background or something. I’ve made the same type of mistake.

It diminishes the value of the forum IMO, because the signal to noise ratio is consistently degraded by unintended cross postings from people with the same brand, different truck.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know you, and everyone who’s posted the same misinformation mean well. However, this is the POWER WAGON forum, and the topic is regarding the specification for the 6.4 which is different.

It’s one of the idiosyncrasies of this forum that the way it’s segmented, it’s difficult for people to realize they’ve wandered into a specific model area. I wish they’d color code the background or something. I’ve made the same type of mistake.

It diminishes the value of the forum IMO, because the signal to noise ratio is consistently degraded by unintended cross postings from people with the same brand, different truck.
I agree 100% people think because their 3.6L takes 5w20 or 0W20 a 6.4L must too lol.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There was a guy in the heavy duty section that used his 6.4 to tow a trailer to move cars/trucks across country. He put around 450,000 miles with Mobil 1. Those miles were all towing. He retired the truck still running. That ms-12633 rating is some BS rating Pennzoil made up and Mobil 1 refused to spend the money to get the rating.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There was a guy in the heavy duty section .

nobody cares about that guy. nobody cares about his oil. they should delete every oil thread immediatly. its mostly just rumor, speculation and hear say anyways. when was the last time a oil engineer set foot on this or any other forum ? never. dump in what ever oil you want and go about your day without making useless threads

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There was a guy in the heavy duty section that used his 6.4 to tow a trailer to move cars/trucks across country. He put around 450,000 miles with Mobil 1. Those miles were all towing. He retired the truck still running. That ms-12633 rating is some BS rating Pennzoil made up and Mobil 1 refused to spend the money to get the rating.
pennzoil did not make it up it is a Chrysler spec not a pennzoil spec.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pennzoil did not make it up it is a Chrysler spec not a pennzoil spec.
Fiat has a strong business relationship with Pennzoil. Prior to this relationship, Chrysler recommended Mobil 1. The MS-12633 is a two year fleet use test program. Any top synthetic will meet the specs but it will take two years and money. Mobil 1 just called BS and didn’t play the game because they are fine without Chrysler and could care less. Not enough 6.4 engines out there to make their money back.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
nobody cares about that guy. nobody cares about his oil. they should delete every oil thread immediatly. its mostly just rumor, speculation and hear say anyways. when was the last time a oil engineer set foot on this or any other forum ? never. dump in what ever oil you want and go about your day without making useless threads
The guy wasn’t claiming anything about the oil. He was just bragging on the 6.4 and he had pics of the odometer and kept the thread going for awhile by updating his odometer. Others just asked him what oil he was using. So, point being is the 6.4 is a great engine and will run a long time on any quality oil of the right weight. Nothing was on speculation and a bunch of people cared about that guy and we were interested in what oil he used to tow over 10,000 daily for 450,000 miles with a gas engine.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And many a Hemi both 5.7 and 6.4 has died a premature death because people just threw anything in there that met the spec thinking they were all the same and they're not. CAFE mileage standards are more important to them than anything else even with the 6.4.
If it weren't for the oil threads this forum would be as dead as the Z.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well, I'm a retired lubricant application and powertrain design engineer, so there's that.

It's also true (google if you don't believe) Fiat has a vendor agreement with Royal Dutch Shell, maker of Pennzoil, and Chrysler was with Mobil.

It's also true, by many metrics (google BITOG) Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is a superior engine oil to Mobil 1 today.

It's also true Hemi Gen III engines have marginally lubricated valve trains that are subject to premature catastrophic failure that can wipe out the entire engine (search Hemi Tick in this forum or google). ALL Hemi Gen III engines.

It's also true selection of engine oils has an impact on Hemi Gen III engine longevity, in addition to duty cycle usage (i.e. - avoid idling whenever possible, shorten oil change intervals to 5,000 miles, etc.). Search Synthetic Oil Forum if you're up to reading 4,000 pages worth of knowledge and oil analysis data.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Both 2012
Engine
Hemi 5.7 & Cummins 6.7
It's simply not hard to do a little research before purchasing oil.

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Bottom line. I have been using Mobile 1 every 4-5 k on both of my Rams. Will my 36k bumper to bumper and then my 5 year unlimited miles Max Care plan be honored? This thread had got me thinking I need to switch to Penzoil.

RD Holland

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It has been discussed several times in the synthetic oil thread but I'll say it again: In 2013 the EPA mandated changes in the additives to all motor oils thus lowering some of the additive content by a significant amount in some cases. The Hemi needs a fairly large mount of MOLY(Molybdenum) which has mostly been removed from some Mobil 1 products. From what I've seen the Annual Protection is the only one that seems to have a good additive pack and unfortunately its the most expensive. Fact of the matter is if you get any startup chatter, even if its only once in a blue moon more than likely you're going to have cam/lifter problems down the road. It's not a case of if, it's a case of when depending upon how long you keep the truck.

When I bought my 2019 with the 5.7 hemi in it, I got in a new Ram and started it. It had quite a bit chatter. I asked about that and the dealer told me that there is nothing wrong about that. It is just something that happens in some of the engines when they are first started. I turned the truck off and got out and said I'd rather try another truck.

As for all this oil chatter, it just seems to make things more confusing. I don't even know if I can trust an answer I would get from a dealership on which oil to put in my 2019 Ram with the 5.7 Hemi. I already changed my oil once with Mobil 1. Don't recall which one for sure. No chatter in my engine but now I'm worried just the same.

tjbrowder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Bottom line. I have been using Mobile 1 every 4-5 k on both of my Rams. Will my 36k bumper to bumper and then my 5 year unlimited miles Max Care plan be honored? This thread had got me thinking I need to switch to Penzoil.
Really depends on whether you have a major engine failure while under warranty. FCA would most likely ask your servicing dealership for all maintenance records including receipts. If FCA sees an oil that does not have their specific approval on it, they could go the route of denying warranty. We all know that OEM's watch every penny, and if they can find a way to get out of paying, they will.

I personally don't know of any instances where this has actually happened.....simply speculation on my part. I choose to a use an oil that FCA has on their approval list because I don't have the time or desire to fight with FCA if an issue comes up. Will using the Pennzoil cause my engine to fail earlier if I had used another brand.....maybe, but I doubt it. I don't tend to keep vehicles past 100K, and I am pretty confident that the Pennzoil will get me there.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I'm a retired lubricant application and powertrain design engineer, so there's that.

It's also true (google if you don't believe) Fiat has a vendor agreement with Royal Dutch Shell, maker of Pennzoil, and Chrysler was with Mobil.

It's also true, by many metrics (google BITOG) Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is a superior engine oil to Mobil 1 today.

It's also true Hemi Gen III engines have marginally lubricated valve trains that are subject to premature catastrophic failure that can wipe out the entire engine (search Hemi Tick in this forum or google). ALL Hemi Gen III engines.

It's also true selection of engine oils has an impact on Hemi Gen III engine longevity, in addition to duty cycle usage (i.e. - avoid idling whenever possible, shorten oil change intervals to 5,000 miles, etc.). Search Synthetic Oil Forum if you're up to reading 4,000 pages worth of knowledge and oil analysis data.
Sounds like you’re qualified and you’ve convinced me that I’m probably making a mistake using Mobil 1. The fact that Pennzoil will not sell the oil to my local NAPA store that is independently owned now aggravates me even more. Either buy from Ram or some unknown internet dealer or else the needed oil is unavailable. I’m a medical provider and I have a farm which is a second full time job so making an oil change turn into a major ordeal is an unnecessary chore. My local Chevy dealer picks up my wife’s Tahoe, does all the necessary maintenance and then drops it back off at my office. It’s cost me $20 more than doing it myself. I like this Ram better than any Chevy I’ve had but at the end of the day it’s just a truck that has a job do.

tjbrowder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Sounds like you’re qualified and you’ve convinced me that I’m probably making a mistake using Mobil 1. The fact that Pennzoil will not sell the oil to my local NAPA store that is independently owned now aggravates me even more. Either buy from Ram or some unknown internet dealer or else the needed oil is unavailable. I’m a medical provider and I have a farm which is a second full time job so making an oil change turn into a major ordeal is an unnecessary chore. My local Chevy dealer picks up my wife’s Tahoe, does all the necessary maintenance and then drops it back off at my office. It’s cost me $20 more than doing it myself. I like this Ram better than any Chevy I’ve had but at the end of the day it’s just a truck that has a job do.

I get mine from Amazon....has always been in stock every time I have placed an order. I order a Wix XP filter along with the oil. Usually get the oil and filter on the way a week or two out before the change.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I get mine from Amazon....has always been in stock every time I have placed an order. I order a Wix XP filter along with the oil. Usually get the oil and filter on the way a week or two out before the change.
Looks like that’s what I’ll start doing. Still makes me mad Pennzoil won’t supply local chains. They request it but are denied. Just seems like if it’s so good they would try to push to sell more. Mercedes is made down here and now there are quite a few of those around. Many of those use 0w40 but they recommend Mobil 1 I believe.

lobo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 c.i.
0-40 Pennzoil Platinum is an expensive to produce oil made from natural gas. A fool and his money is soon parted.

cornelius967

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 G/T
Engine
HEMI 5.7 w/eTorque
Are you guys doing oil change at 3k miles or does this oil last longer? I have a new 2021. Don’t mind changing it early and often but I don’t want to be wasteful either

My rule of thumb is to change the oil when it's dirty. Oil starts out translucent (you can see through it). When it gets enough dirt and contaminants in it such that you can't see through it anymore, it's dirty and should be changed. No matter what type, kind, brand, conventional or synthetic: when it's dirty, change it.

I once took my '71 VW Camper on a three month long cross-country road trip one summer many, many moons ago. I checked the oil regularly. I did 10,000 miles on that trip and at the end the oil was still translucent. It was the color of dark maple syrup but it was still see through. Had it become dirty, I would have changed the oil at some point during the trip. But it didn't so I didn't need to change it.

Most folks check their oil to make sure it's still at the "full" mark. I check mine to see if it's dirty (and to make sure it's still at the "full" mark). I hope this helps.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like that’s what I’ll start doing. Still makes me mad Pennzoil won’t supply local chains. They request it but are denied. Just seems like if it’s so good they would try to push to sell more. Mercedes is made down here and now there are quite a few of those around. Many of those use 0w40 but they recommend Mobil 1 I believe.

you remind me of this member that used to be here. was called RBinNc or something like that. anyways he used to cry and cry it was such a hassle to find pup 0w40, even though he probly drove by one or two or three dealers every day, which would of had hundreds of qaurts on their shelves at all times. or the several places online he could of ordered it and had it on his door in three or four days. i dont see where the hassle is. i guess it could be a hassle if the person was a lazy bum.
many local dealers have reasonable prices on this oil. mine is nearly the same as buying online so i just drive over there and get it.