Moble 1 oil express issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim Prendergast

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ihave a new ram 15oo limited took it to a moble 1 express oil change @2100 miles at Cedar Hill Tx. I ask for mobile 1 5w-30wt. They refused to change it to that wt. Said company management said they have to by what the oil cap said..I paid cash for this truck and I will put whatever I want in it. I LEFT WITH THE HEMI ACCIDENTLY TIRES SQUEALING.I am 80 served in war been shot at now their telling me what oil wt. Ihave to use in my vehicle B S Iwill do it myself.

jpmx0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L
Wow, business must be really good if they turn away customers, rather than putting a simple annotation on your service order with something like "Customer advised against 5w-30 and waived all liability".

Obviously there should be exceptions, like if you asked to fill it with 80W-90 gear lube or something ridiculous :) But I agree and am surprised at that policy.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I worked at Walmart Auto Care, we could only change oil with what the manufacture recommends. Come to find out, another business was sued because they changed with what the customer wanted and the engine blew. The customer won the lawsuit, as they said that the business was the professionals and should have known better.
I'm not sure how a different weight would cause the engine to blow, but that is why we were told we couldn't use a different oil.

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run 5W-30 in my hemi, no problems what so ever. The cap says 5W-20. On amsoil vehicle lookup. It says to use only 5W-20, or it could mess with the MDS. The MDS in my hemi still works. Although, I drive city with my O/D off, so my MDS never kicks on anyways and freeway speeds are to fast. But Neil E is right. If for whatever reason, your engine does something funky. They don't want you coming back to them with the problem. That simple change in viscosity could cause them a lot of grief. I work on a lot of vehicles for side work. I tell the men or women to bring what ever oil they want. But it needs to be the viscosity your vehicle calls for. Just that small fear of something happening, not even related to what I did. But the customer doesn't wanna pay for it. So they blame me or a small lube joint. Not worth it in my opinion.

MikeG71

U.S. ARMY '02 - '12
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also use 5W-30 as well. I don’t have the MDS (truck is a 2500) but I’ve also had no issues.

OP
OP
J

Jim Prendergast

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Change the oil truck runs better I did it mainly for the heat in Texas I have another question never owned a Hemi always a GM man I got the Hemi with a $2,000 option 4 the e t v extra horsepower options. does anyone know what that is all I know is if I hit the pedal this thing is a tiger