MOD Planning Help- Cam Swap and Other

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
I cant afford to pay anyone to work on my Vehicles on my Mil salary... lol..

Heck it took me a year to save up and by the parts just for the cam swap. and this only happened once the truck was paid off... lol...
Mil? a millwright?

OP
OP
BrBlack

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And she's all done and ready to go. :head3:
The shop buttoned up a few things that were causing an issue yesterday and I'm told the test drives went well today.

Wont have much time to put it through the paces this weekend as I've got a camping trip planned. Nothing like installing a cam and putting a trailer on it right away.....

Will report back if I have a chance.

OP
OP
BrBlack

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright. Got the truck Thursday last week and 3 hours later put the RV behind it. No real time to have fun with it yet.

Initial thoughts..... AWESOME. Truck rev's way higher and pulls like a freight train above 3000rpm.
It made pulling the trailer (22ft/ 6000 lbs) a lot easier as the motor held a gear longer and the trans wasn't down shifting on every hill. Very happy in this area. Around town its been good but I've only been "light to light" in the neighborhood so far. Truck feels like it runs a bit warmer but coolant/oil temps are all normal.

The JG tune is a lot different than the HF one I had. The JG one is not as gnarly as the HF tune at low rpm (both 91) and some how the exhaust has gotten quieter. None of these are a bad thing to me. Need to address the P0420/P0430 (both rear O2 sensors) codes that the truck is throwing. AFR gauge needs to be wired to power and mounted also.

All and all I'm very pleased with it. Truck feels strong and tight. Project went way over budget as a few extras were found during install. Will have the truck back in the shop next week to have things torqued down again.

Headed out of town again this weekend with the truck and hope to do some data logs next week so JG can tweak the tune a bit.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Alright. Got the truck Thursday last week and 3 hours later put the RV behind it. No real time to have fun with it yet.

Initial thoughts..... AWESOME. Truck rev's way higher and pulls like a freight train above 3000rpm.
It made pulling the trailer (22ft/ 6000 lbs) a lot easier as the motor held a gear longer and the trans wasn't down shifting on every hill. Very happy in this area. Around town its been good but I've only been "light to light" in the neighborhood so far. Truck feels like it runs a bit warmer but coolant/oil temps are all normal.

The JG tune is a lot different than the HF one I had. The JG one is not as gnarly as the HF tune at low rpm (both 91) and some how the exhaust has gotten quieter. None of these are a bad thing to me. Need to address the P0420/P0430 (both rear O2 sensors) codes that the truck is throwing. AFR gauge needs to be wired to power and mounted also.

All and all I'm very pleased with it. Truck feels strong and tight. Project went way over budget as a few extras were found during install. Will have the truck back in the shop next week to have things torqued down again.

Headed out of town again this weekend with the truck and hope to do some data logs next week so JG can tweak the tune a bit.

Meet night in Airdrie tonight Andrew,you should bring it out,Pee-Jay should be there,you can compare trucks.

OP
OP
BrBlack

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Meet night in Airdrie tonight Andrew,you should bring it out,Pee-Jay should be there,you can compare trucks.

Why does this never fit my schedule.... Cant tonight. Have to get the bikes ready for the weekend as we leave Thursday after work.
Depending on how things go I might make next week. Want to grab that oil filter relocator from you in the hopes it lowers my oil temps a bit. And help with changes. Would love to put it up against Pee-Jay.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Why does this never fit my schedule.... Cant tonight. Have to get the bikes ready for the weekend as we leave Thursday after work.
Depending on how things go I might make next week. Want to grab that oil filter relocator from you in the hopes it lowers my oil temps a bit. And help with changes. Would love to put it up against Pee-Jay.

I'm guessing Pee-Jay will be happy to oblige ,he likes playing,lol. Remind me next week and i'll bring it with me

OP
OP
BrBlack

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Small update.
Truck runs strong but has developed a strange issue. This has only happened 3 times and at relatively slow speeds. The truck looses oil pressure and shuts off.
1- pulling up to gas pump at Esso
2- wife parking truck in front of house (up hill)
3- coming to a stop before turning right coming out of Mclean Creek.

Trucks fires right up after. Will be calling to tell the shop my experience just so it on file. Not sure if i should be worried.....

In other news i had to lengthen all of the Autometer cable for the AFR gauge. With any luck I'll have this buttoned up this week. Looking forward to having the gauge work properly so i can get some datalogging done.

OP
OP
BrBlack

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And after a months time I've finally got the AFR installed and was able to get some data logs off to JG.
Already received some revised tunes. JG mentioned I was running richer than needed. Will get these loaded into the truck tonight.

Did experience a 4th moment when the truck shut off. Again while pulling up to the gas pumps. Very low speed and truck fired up without hesitation right after.

more to come....

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
And after a months time I've finally got the AFR installed and was able to get some data logs off to JG.
Already received some revised tunes. JG mentioned I was running richer than needed. Will get these loaded into the truck tonight.

Did experience a 4th moment when the truck shut off. Again while pulling up to the gas pumps. Very low speed and truck fired up without hesitation right after.

more to come....
If you're out data logging tonight Andrew,there's a meet on,you know where,lol

OP
OP
BrBlack

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you're out data logging tonight Andrew,there's a meet on,you know where,lol

Tough timing. We're headed to BC on holidays Friday night so I'll be ******* at home. Will touch base with you when I'm back. Would enjoy making it to 1 meet before summer is over.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Tough timing. We're headed to BC on holidays Friday night so I'll be ******* at home. Will touch base with you when I'm back. Would enjoy making it to 1 meet before summer is over.
Still have that remote filter mount for you too,lol.

OP
OP
BrBlack

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not happy about this update.

Truck broke down yesterday. Turns out the heater core hoses let go as the clip that fixes them to the valve cover was broken/loose and the exhaust manifolds burnt through the hoses. All the coolant ended up on the ground and tow truck. A near by shop and work is being completed today. With tow it was another $700. :(

Thankfully it all let go while at a gas station and not Monday while I drove my family home with the RV/Bikes in tow.

The shop doing the work today will be providing me with photos so I can share this with Dale Adams. I highly doubt they do anything but I will be letting them know how choked I am.

Attachments

• IMG_4422.jpg
    IMG_4422.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4419.jpg
    IMG_4419.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4421.jpg
    IMG_4421.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: