Modding with a laptop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nathantc

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 sxt 120
Engine
3.7 V6
ok im looking for some help here. i dont care for any of the "tuners" that i can buy. none do what im wanting to do. that said im trying to figure out how i can get into the programing with my laptop, same as i currently can do on my Freightliner. there are things i want to modify. how can this be done. pretty sure all the things i have now can do so, just need he OBD2 adapter for the commercial truck plug i got now. im sure there is some sort of software id need to download as well. just cant find any info on this, when i try all find is people talking about diablo or sct. used both in the past, not at all impressed.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You need to see if HPtuners works for your truck (it SHOULD, I just don't remember lol). If so, there you go.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
ill have to email or call them, the website seems a bit vague
What year is your truck? I know HP Tuners very well. If the truck you want to tune is the same regular cab in your profile, then yes, HP Tuners will work for you. HP Tuners will work for 2004-2010 3.7/4.7/5.7 trucks along with a few other years scattered around.

You will need to purchase an MPVI-2 along with 2 vehicle credits and then download the VCM Suite. The VCM Suite consists of the VCM Scanner and the VCM Editor.

I'd you do not have any experience with tuning please do some research before you make any changes. You can really mess things up if you don't know what you are doing.

When starting fresh, always make a copy of your stock tune and the current tune so you know that you have a running and drivable tune to fall back on.

Download some of the tunes in the repository and look over them and compare them to your stock tune to see what has changed. This can help you understand what to change and what to leave alone. Make small changes and then flash the tune to the PCM and drive the truck to see how it reacts. If you don't like it then you can go change it back.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will need to purchase an MPVI-2 along with 2 vehicle credits and then download the VCM Suite. The VCM Suite consists of the VCM Scanner and the VCM Editor.
This has probably already been asked in another thread and I am too lazy to check for myself right now, but how much would this run? And do you have to keep buying the vehicle credits or is that just a one-time per vehicle deal? I ask because of my truck (current toy) and my future plans to drop a Charger/Challenger drivetrain into my 1969 Barracuda (parked on blocks in the yard toy).

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
This has probably already been asked in another thread and I am too lazy to check for myself right now, but how much would this run? And do you have to keep buying the vehicle credits or is that just a one-time per vehicle deal? I ask because of my truck (current toy) and my future plans to drop a Charger/Challenger drivetrain into my 1969 Barracuda (parked on blocks in the yard toy).
The cost of buying an MPVI-2 and 2 vehicle credits directly from HP Tuners website is $399.97 plus tax if any is applicable for your state. The cost of the MPVI-2 is $299.99 and the credits are $49.99 each and it requires two credits to tune a 3rd Gen RAM.Once you purchase the credits for your vehicle you will not have to purchase any more credits to tune that vehicle. Once it is licensed you will always be able to tune it. If you want to tune another vehicle then you will need to purchase credits for that vehicle.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That actually sounds like a great deal when you're looking at tuning/tweaking multiple supported vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That actually sounds like a great deal when you're looking at tuning/tweaking multiple supported vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
It's not that expensive considering what you can do with it. The software download is free and each time you want to tune a different vehicle you hit the website to purchase the needed credits to license a vehicle and start tuning. It is simple.