Modifystreet headlight build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hmm. The pic's I've seen of nick00less or maybe Jimmy07 ds2 retrofit into these looked fairly straightforward, atleast mounting the ds2. I believe the ignitor maybe the issue. The h1 projector mounting points are smaller than the alpharex points. I know that the alpharex has a 3" projector, the mini h1 is 2.5" and I believe that the ds2 is 3"

Do you have the fb post?

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
Yup, my d2s almost bolted right up. Had to enlarge a few holes to be able to clock them perfectly. The igniter was a little tricky, but not bad.

OP
OP
1500ram12

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I was looking on fb and found one person who have retro d2s into these headlights. It looks like alot of work. I thought it would be pretty straight forward. He apparently does retrofit but mentioned that he will not offer this swap due to time/money.

I will probably try my hands at retrofitting a set of mini h1 I have in the garage into the oem foglight. If I can find a cheap set to cut up.

I guess if you are used to dropping projectors into halogen reflector bowls that retrofitting these might seem difficult. But I've seen installs of fx-r into oem/tyc projectors and it looks just as difficult

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
I reached put to the guy but haven't heard back.

He put alot of work into it but the mounting was crap.

Here's his post

What do you guys think of my most recent build for my shop truck?

AlphaRex 09-18 Ram “2019 Style” Headlights
Morimoto D2S 4.0’s
Profile D2S Projectors
Custom Fabricated Mounts for all 4 Projectors
x4 Morimoto Xb35 Ballasts
x4 Morimoto D2S Ignitors
x4 Morimoto 5800k D2S Bulbs
Profile Prism 18” RGB Strips for Lower DRL
Profile Prism 12” Strips for supper DRL
Profile Prism RGB Demon Eyes x4
Morimoto XBT Bluetooth Controller
Custom Paint (by me)
Custom tinted U+L DRL Lenses with ViVViD Hex+ Headlight Tint
Tinted Corner Markers
Tons and tons of custom wiring.

All 4 D2S projectors are on for low beam, shield drops on all 4 for high beams. Mounting the projectors into the AlphaRex internals was no easy task. Took a couple weeks and 4-5 different methods until I finally custom fabricated brackets, now they are mounted perfectly.

All wiring is plugged, not a single crimp or hardwire. Everything is plug-n-play with either 9006 plugs or 2/3/4 pin JST plugs. Tons of custom wiring was needed for this build.

As far as I know, this is the only AlphaRex RGB Ram build, that also has BOTH projectors upgraded.

I know for a fact that I’m forgetting something....

What are your thoughts? I am actually debating if I should reopen them and throw in some switchback DRL strips up top and bottom as my main running/turns as these RGB strips just are not bright enough for DRL/Turns. I’d still keep them too for show. — feeling relieved.

810874c6510e6c089c855cebd1338c8f.jpg

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
Yup, my d2s almost bolted right up. Had to enlarge a few holes to be able to clock them perfectly. The igniter was a little tricky, but not bad.

This was my initial thought as well as far as mounting the d2s.

The fb poster could have made the process simpler but I don’t want to assume.

How do you like the d2s? I’m planning to run mine with my xenon depot ballast and amp connector for the bulbs...

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
His post can be found in the healight junkies fb group. Search Ram.

OP
OP
1500ram12

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
They almost look like a member on here headlights that I helped out initially. His name is OnSale.

It looks like he didn't want to touch the mounting base on the projectors so he made a adapter

OP
OP
1500ram12

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Decided to order a set of morimoto 6500k bulbs. The 5500k are a little to yellow for my taste. They are whiter than a oem setup but still on the yellow side.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Hey 1500ram12, I know this is an old thread but I figured that you might know the answer to my question concerning the alpharex lights. I currently have the same version you modified, installed about about a year and a half ago. I noticed at the time that my low beam cut offs on either one or both sides are not perfectly level. That wasn’t a big deal to me at the time since I was going to have them retrofitted. Now I am just going to leave them alone, but I plan on putting some LEDs in them since one of my halogen bulbs went out and changing them is a pain that I don’t want to do every 2 years. Is adjusting the level alignment of the cut offs able to be done through the back where you replace the bulbs or is it something that requires the assembly be opened up? It’s not bad, I’m not blinding people and never been flashed, but enough that it irritates me on occasion. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
1500ram12

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Hey 1500ram12, I know this is an old thread but I figured that you might know the answer to my question concerning the alpharex lights. I currently have the same version you modified, installed about about a year and a half ago. I noticed at the time that my low beam cut offs on either one or both sides are not perfectly level. That wasn’t a big deal to me at the time since I was going to have them retrofitted. Now I am just going to leave them alone, but I plan on putting some LEDs in them since one of my halogen bulbs went out and changing them is a pain that I don’t want to do every 2 years. Is adjusting the level alignment of the cut offs able to be done through the back where you replace the bulbs or is it something that requires the assembly be opened up? It’s not bad, I’m not blinding people and never been flashed, but enough that it irritates me on occasion. Thanks.

Vertical can be done through the same hole in the fender that you'd adjust your original headlights in. Horizontal you'd have to open them. If you end up having to open them you might as well retrofit fit them. I have about $300 into this version. So it's not terribly expensive to do. This was my first true retrofit. It definitely wasn't a beginner retrofit but if you have some basic "fabricating" skills and atleast a drill and a hacksaw it's something that can be accomplished.

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
1990 5.9L 12v Cummins W250

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Vertical can be done through the same hole in the fender that you'd adjust your original headlights in. Horizontal you'd have to open them. If you end up having to open them you might as well retrofit fit them. I have about $300 into this version. So it's not terribly expensive to do. This was my first true retrofit. It definitely wasn't a beginner retrofit but if you have some basic "fabricating" skills and atleast a drill and a hacksaw it's something that can be accomplished.

Ok I get the vertical alignment for aiming the head lights. That’s not the issue. Right now the cutoff for the low beams is rolled/canted/rotated, whatever you want to call it, ever so slightly so the cut off is not level when my truck is on level ground. I know step is there and is supposed to be but I don’t thing the beam cut off is supposed to canted or rotated. I’m guessing that’s not adjustable without opening the housing up, just like the horizontal alignment? Btw are you still running these alpharexes?

OP
OP
1500ram12

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Ok I get the vertical alignment for aiming the head lights. That’s not the issue. Right now the cutoff for the low beams is rolled/canted/rotated, whatever you want to call it, ever so slightly so the cut off is not level when my truck is on level ground. I know step is there and is supposed to be but I don’t thing the beam cut off is supposed to canted or rotated. I’m guessing that’s not adjustable without opening the housing up, just like the horizontal alignment? Btw are you still running these alpharexes?

You can kinda cheat the rotation a little by the bottom mounting bolt for the headlights. But if it's off by a lot then you'd have to open them up. It seems to be a flaw with the g1 and possibly the g2 headlights. I don't recall mine being that noticeable.

Yes I'm still running them

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Ok. Thanks for clarifying for me. I was thinking that’s what would have to be done to fix it. I like your set up. If I ever find time between work, my side jobs and the kids, I’ll probably take a stab at fixing what I have or modding them like you did. Have a good one man.