Mopar Muscle Showdown!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Engine Masters on Motortrend TV, channel 883 for Comcast Subscribers, tonight @ 8PM CST - Mopar Muscle Showdown!

See what the team tests on the dyno tonight.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That was a pretty good episode. Something the old Mopar guys have said for years abut the 440 vs the 426 Hemi, and appeared the proof was on the dyno.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
That was a pretty good episode. Something the old Mopar guys have said for years abut the 440 vs the 426 Hemi, and appeared the proof was on the dyno.

Yup - specifically (say it with me)........ "there's no replacement for displacement".

Depending what you're trying to do, of course. The 440 kicked the 426 Hemi's a$$ until app. 5,000 rpm, where the siamese valve breathing took over. Meaning, (say it with me)..... "the Hemi is a race engine". (high rpm)

So - why did Chrysler spend all the loot to create Generation III Hemi, when the target market was not NASCAR racing? Was it just a cynical marketing ploy to sell a bunch of new Hemis into applications that didn't matter?

Personally, I would have preferred to see a modern bigger displacement V8 without Hemi heads and the associated expense for Ram trucks. Wouldn't have had all this lifter / cam faiure nonsense either (I think). 440 is a bit bigger than what I'm thinking - it's big block territory with high fuel consumption. 6.4L (396) isn't quite enough. I'd say a 426 non-Hemi would have been just right.

The show this week was on compression ratio. What a surprise - higher compression ratio produces higher torque. *boom, tiss!* They ran two 327 Chevys, one @ 9.5:1 stock pistons, and another with 11.0:1 dome pistons with higher octane.
We know higher octane and advanced ignition timing produces more torque also (up to a point where spark is too far advanced and backfires). I personally thought it was a good idea to incorporate this into the 6.4L Hemi truck engine so it good use 89 octane for a wee more torque.

What do you guys think? (yes, I know it's too late and the Hemi is dead)