MoPar nightmare...what would you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gemeni06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Liter Flex Fuel V8
Don't see a lawyer yet. File a complaint of consumer fraud with your State Attorney General against RAM. Document in detail (similar to what you have already done in your post) and state why you believe RAM is committing consumer fraud against you. Be polite but firm in your letter and try to word it the way a lawyer would but don't hold back. Send your letter to both RAM and your State Attorney General at the same time. Send both letters Certified Mail Return Receipt Requested. It may work. I've done this a few times albeit not of the scale of yours. RAM needs to know that you are serious. When you file a well written complaint of consumer fraud against RAM. RAM will know you are serious.

MikeysCars

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't at this point man, if you hire a lawyer as a matter of fact they wont be doing anything at that point. So far you have no denial and they cracked it open, they own this and they know they do. They are just trying to figure out how much the dealer is going to get paid because they messed it up. You still have got no denial right? lemon law lawyer would take this case if you got a denial.
Best advice yet in my opinion.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I only read your initial post. Looking at the thread length, it looks like you're still having issues and should probably talk to our forum @RamCares rep to assist with sorting this out.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
My advice due sadly to my experience is stay away from a lawyer. That makes RAM lawyers come to a halt. If I were you I would see what the dealer would do to get you out of your truck and into a new or newer one. It bites and blows, but the sooner you get this behind you, the better you will be.

I wonder do you think the guy you bought this from knew something was not right? Sounds that way to me.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've thought that too. I'm hoping this delay isn't so they can say "Oh, well your warranty expired". They and the dealer both have records that this started well before warranty expiration and is not resolved, so if it comes to that they won't have a leg to stand on.
I personally know a mechanic who use to work at my local RAM dealership and he stated that if a warranty claim is made before it expires, they still have to honor the claim even after the warranty expires ...
Now, that's here in Canada, and I'm not sure what the rules are in the States ...

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
When they took the engine apart the first time they didn't find anything wrong with the lifters or cam, which is what was originally suspected. We opted to pay out of pocket to have new ones put in anyway, since we could find plenty on google saying that's a known issue and didn't want to have to rip the engine apart a second time (haha). The new diagnosis is the #7 cylinder is bad, which is why dealer is now saying new engine. I guess they can't fix that in their shop? Now why they didn't find that in the first tear-down is a great question.
If the cylinder wall is scored too deep then honed out of spec the piston rings need to be oversized MOPAR original parts don’t exist and therefore resort to aftermarket which isn’t covered by warranty.

“For and example “ As basic (personal) liability insurance goes they would most likely just give the vehicle a junk status and as a payoff the next owner would only be able to register the truck with a salvage title.

Work with the service manager to resolve the issue leave the lawyers out of it and have a reliable machine shop rebuild it and have the dealership complete the installation.

Or just pay out of pocket for a new engine and settle out of court in 18 months or more.

Last edited:

AwesomeLaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter V8 Hemi MDS VVT
I bought my Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi the end of May 2021. It was a private sale, but the truck was babied by the previous owner (full file of service records, all done at the dealer) and only had 47,500 miles on it. It ran great for about 800 miles, pulling a trailer, hauling feed, and all the other truck things it was supposed to do. Then a ticking noise started. I immediately took it to our local Ram dealer, who had serviced the truck all its life. They called me back a few days later to tell me that the noise was coming from the engine, and the truck would likely need a NEW ENGINE, at an expense of $15,000. Lucky me, we transferred the Mopar extended warranty, which is still good until December of this year, so the repairs SHOULD be covered. In September the dealer broke down the engine to confirm there was a faulty part (2 bad heads). We wait a few days for a Mopar rep to confirm that said part is broken and authorize the repair. We wait 2 WEEKS until the dealer can get the parts to fix it. We also replace the lifters right away on our dime, hoping to avoid that known failure down the line. They do so, and another week later the engine is reassembled and back in the truck, only its still making the same noise. The dealer again recommends a new engine and says they have a Mopar rep coming out to confirm in the next 24-28 hours. That was THREE WEEKS AGO. We have had numerous service managers at the dealership call for someone to approve the repair, and each time they are told another 24-48 hours. Now it is over 2 months since I last drove my truck, 3 weeks that the engine is out of it, and I feel like my hands are tied. Dealer and Mopar are very aware this is a vehicle that I need for work. I have not been given a loaner vehicle, since they only compensate for $175 of rental, and who rents out a 2500 truck for that price even on a daily rate? Dealer says they are waiting on Mopar. Mopar said yesterday they are waiting on dealer to diagnose issue. I had the dealer call Mopar AGAIN, to tell them AGAIN, what the issue is. Mopar tells me I should not be calling them, the dealer needs to. Meanwhile, the Mopar service rep that was AGAIN promised to be out there yesterday never showed up. Everyone is laying the blame on everything else, saying their hands are tied, while my truck is sitting engineless rusting in the dealer parking lot. So, what would you do? What are my options at this point?
A) Suck it up and spend the $15000 out of pocket and have the dealer fix the d--- engine? They even have one reserved for me if we get this repair approved before someone else claims it.
B) Keep nagging dealer and Mopar until they get it fixed?
C) Put the broken engine back in and drive it till it breaks down? (Ok, getting sarcastic here...but seriously, I need my truck back.)
D) Buy another truck to drive around until maybe, one day, this truck gets repaired, and then as soon as it is, sell it and never ever buy another Ram or Chrysler vehicle ever again?
E) Pray one of you has more options or the number of someone I can call that is actually going to get this done.

I hope someone is out there that has navigated this customer service minefield in the past with some success. Any recommendations (other than be patient) welcome.

EDIT: Second tear-down of engine revealed cylinder #7 is bad. Repair #1 also involved the replacement of both exhaust manifolds. The issue here is not in diagnosis, but in the fact that the dealer can't seem to get a Mopar Representative to even look at the truck to deny/approve the repair. This is still ongoing as of Oct 28.

Tease it in and get rid of it. But contact a lawyer and sue the previous owner too

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lawyer, lawyer, lawyer - yeah get one IF you never want the truck fixed or returned until the case is settled.
As soon as you go that route, all work will cease.

Personally, I think the problem is an incompetent dealer/tech. New engine for $15k for a tick isn't the first thing that they should go for, except that they probably were thinking ok you are out of warranty, new engine will fix it and make some nice $$$$.
Then they found out that you had the extended warranty and were saying crap, now I have to do something - very doubtful that both heads were bad.
One of the prior posts about how to diagnose the sound was spot on.

Tick is also very vague, is it a light tick, deeper knock noise, definitely one cylinder tick, etc.

Have you looked at #7 cylinder and had explained/personally taken a picture of what is wrong with it - can only be a handful of things wrong with the cylinder - and most damage is pretty self explanatory.

Go take pictures and be shown what is wrong. Hint, if the piston top has dings in it, then something went through or fell onto the piston. ALSO take a corresponding picture of the cylinder head for #7 cylinder.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And what are you going to sue the previous owner for, unless you have evidence of fraud or that he was aware of an issue and hid it.
Which since it ran flawlessly for 800 miles is going to be a hard prove. Unless you have a work order complaining about a tick.

Hitech Redneck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017, 2020
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I can relate. The truck in my profile pic is at a dealer 900 miles from home with a failed cp4 injection pump. I'm out about 200 in fuel, 2k from the load I was headed to pick up, several days hotel, rental car and fuel to get home, and so far 2 weeks loss of use (which equates to another 4k lost gross income).

Thankfully just a side gig for me.

I contacted Ram on the advice of the dealership service manager and opened a case. Parts are expected Tuesday. I recommend you call the 800 number to Ram customer service if you haven't already. I don't think the fact you bought it used/private sale matters here.

Erutan409

Reaction score
Guess what ?
The warranty will not/does not pay the dealer unlimited hours of doing whatever to diagnose a problem. They also don't get paid for repairs that didn't fix the problem.
Oh yes, there can be charge-backs !

This dealer is already in the hole with technician time spent now.

And why is that ?
Nothing to date has fixed anything !

In actuality, the dealer has yet to produce a warranty claim that would be considered for payment.

Fast forward to the day an engine is replaced, road tested and vehicle returned to owner. Repair Order is closed.
Now you have a warranty claim to be submitted for payment to dealer.

The dealer Service Manager will be left to make his case ... think plea, in discussions with his Service Rep from Ram division.
You can bet that the dealer will eat a bunch of those diagnostic hours. They always do.
It's gets worse nowadays with young, inexperienced technicians and the manufacturers know this. There is one billion dollars in denied dealer warranty claims yearly in this country among all dealers and manufacturers.

This dealer has always serviced said truck and now with second owner.
There is likely a previous warranty claim with this dealer where the original owner complained of engine noise.

In judging the outcome of this claim, the Service Rep has knowledge of and access to the first reported date and mileage of the original complaint of engine noise with this particular vehicle.

It appears that the original owner elected not to fix it ; instead would sell it.
But maybe not. We don't know this.
This engine could likely have prior repair history with this same dealer and for the same problem.
This dealer might be "eating" more than we imagine. What is really going on behind the scenes is very much unknown to this owner.
There's likely a whole other story here.
In fact, there always is when delay after delay and inaction becomes week after week with no resolve.
I'd be looking behind door #3.
These computers...uhh, I mean cars are becoming more difficult to service for obvious reasons. You damn near need to be a software engineer along with being a mechanic to be as well-rounded of a shop tech that were prevalent around 2000 and before.

Speaking as a software engineer, dabbling in electronics as a hobby, I'd assert that asking typical auto mechanics to service the PCB in my 1500 '02 TIPM would be a bit of a stretch. And I'd expect them to tell me off if I ever tried; rightfully so.

I have to pull it out at some point to perform some surgery bypassing to allow my tail lights to work properly. The circuit is currently jumped to my cigarette lighter to keep it street legal.

This is a 20 year old vehicle. Our vehicles' steering columns are no longer passive. Think about that...

At some point, we're going to have to pay 200%-300%+ more for the appropriate skilled labor to fix our modern cars. The market just hasn't accepted this, yet.

It's asinine. But, this is also why I'm trying to add auto mechanics to my skill-set on my weekends and pseudo follow in my male lineage's footsteps.

I feel so bad for people who don't have all those layered skill-sets to really fend for themselves.

Bricknhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Crew Cab,
I suspect that all manufacturer/dealership/customer relations are similar and this is not specific to just FCA.

Adam E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had to contact my state's CPA and the attorney general's office. over a dispute I had with Frontier Airlines.
They didn't budge for the BBB and my local news never got back to me.
When I received an email from the assistant attorney general saying a rep from Frontier would be reaching out to me with a resolution they did the very next day.

The only issue is they move at the speed of government.
I think it took about a month for them to get back to me.

Like other's have said with December approaching fast an lawyer may be your best bet.

seebee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've wrenched 35 + yrs as a Med Duty / heavy truck Mechanic. Went through Tech school in Phx Az. Retired as a Master ASE Cert. I know what jagman is saying about new mechanic. Same goes for parts counter people. I get a kick out of the new guys. The question they ask. I worked in new truck dealerships, Fleets large & small, leasing company's. Then the state. No government in that time. Spent a average of 3 yrs at each place. Twice at 2 different places. Sorry to say if some was posting & pay was a dollar more I was gone. Was able to stay away from flat rate all but once. Started at $ 6 an hour. with a diploma in Diesel, just short of a associate's. Any way I'm a big guy and cars & pick up are little to me. I've always been a mopar guy. I could list em. The main things about mechanics is is the heart in it. If not its a waste of time being a wrench. The last new SUV we bought is a 18 Dodge Journey. The only thing I payed for the extra coverage incase some thing happened to me. No issues at all, has a 4 cyl w/ 76.000 plus mls on clock. Had 1 tire replaced on warranty. I change the oil & filter my self. Had a Chrysler mini van before that. Loved it. Had to turn it over the State Farm after the 4th time it was hit. Had 130 + mls. I guess I've got that 6th sense being around things with wheels. I can feel them talk to me if there good or to walk away from them. Juss of the story is us older guys are cut from a different cloth then the new guys. We grew up with it in our blood I think.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly, technically, my 2016 Ram isn't that much different or that much more fancy than my 1984 Turbo Z was way back then.
A few more body components now run on the bus vs. then but really nothing earth shattering - ie. radio, climate control, etc..
Still using the same speed density system. Biggest difference is COP vs. distributor cap and wires but that's not really that fancy.

Now if you want to talk challenging for many techs, the introduction to real fuel injection, etc in 1983 in the Mopar line - but honestly Mopar was light years ahead of most of the competition in that regard back then. Even the single point in the 4 cyl. models used a rather advanced system for the time - not counting the V8 garbage injection back then.

OP
OP
S

SSEC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
UPDATE AS OF 11/5/21 FROM OP:
The dealer finally got the idea that we need something moving, and they came through for us by nagging Mopar to get out there and inspect the engine. Tuesday the guy finally showed up. Thursday they submitted the paperwork approving the engine replacement. So now things are finally moving! The new engine should arrive at the dealer any day, and then they just have to put it all back together. Maybe I'll have a truck again by the end of next week! Thanks for all the advice on here guys. I'll update when they start it back up and it runs!

cancunlsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
something needs to happen real quick, December is coming up FAST and if it goes past that you know they will argue it is out of warranty and you will have a whole other issue to deal with.