Mopar or Shell Rotella oil for a 2022 Cummins?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just being a silly ***** here because I promise you I don't have a dog in this conversation but who actually Makes Mopar oil as of right now?
Shell.

Pennzoil for gassers, Rotella for diesels. You can find that on Stellantis website as well.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I've been running plain old Shell Rotella T6 in my Cummins engines for as long as I can remember. It's all that we used in every engine. I've never had one hiccup with it. Synthetic probably won't harm anything as long as it's still changed within the proper service intervals and you use the right filters. If Cummins says synthetic required in the 19+ then run it. Otherwise, plain old dino oil does the job very well and you won't see any noticeable benefit to switching to synthetic other than a lighter wallet.
You stated that you have been using plain old Shell Rotella T-6 oil for a long time, did/do you not know that Rotella T-6 is synthetic oil and has been for a very long time?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Shell Oil makes all of the Lubricants for MOPAR
Mopar buys many of their products through a Company called
Magneti Marelli

1710206372742.png

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You stated that you have been using plain old Shell Rotella T-6 oil for a long time, did/do you not know that Rotella T-6 is synthetic oil and has been for a very long time?
Yep I absolutely mislabeled it. I run T4. White bottle.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I get it but that's where we have to be careful with forums and what gets presented as the gospel. Not saying that's what you're doing at all, but it happens a lot. Believing something is one thing, but whether that is fact or not is something else. Always good to look at the facts and make the decision for yourself.

I'm not saying synthetic is bad... quite the contrary. But dino oil isn't bad either if the manufacturer designed the engine to use it. The proof is in the pudding if you look at how many engines have made it millions of miles on the old stuff.

The old saying works well here. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited:

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I believe synthetic oil is better for turbo engines due to heat generated by them. To each their own.
Our owners manuals don't say synthetic must be used because it's "better" for the turbo.
It says you can use the correct synthetic or dino oil for whatever climate truck is used. So apparently dino oil will do the job just fine. No need to spend extra $$$ needlessly because it's "believed" to be better.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Run what it tells you to run and it takes the guess work out of it. My Armada requires synthetic oil, so that's what we use. My Cummins does not, so I don't bother with the extra cost. It costs me roughly the same thing to change the oil in either of them. Both run flawlessly.