Mopar or Shell Rotella oil for a 2022 Cummins?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just being a silly ***** here because I promise you I don't have a dog in this conversation but who actually Makes Mopar oil as of right now?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
They changed my oil with Mopar 15w40 synthetic.

You'd better take it back ASAP and get the required 10W-30 in there. If you start seizing your roller lifters, there's a big warranty bill and lose of use of truck coming.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You'd better take it back ASAP and get the required 10W-30 in there. If you start seizing your roller lifters, there's a big warranty bill and lose of use of truck coming.
He's not going to have any problems with the oil they used.
This is directly from the 2022 Ram Cummins diesel supplement owners manual.

In ambient temperatures above 0°F (-18°C), we recommend using 10W-30 engine oil such as Mopar®, Shell Rotella and Shell Rimula that meets the manufacturer Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CK-4 engine oil category is required. Products meeting Cummins® CES 20081 may also be used. The identification of these engine oils is typically located on the back of the oil container. In ambient temperatures below 0°F (-18°C), we recommend using 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such as Mopar®, Shell Rotella and Shell Rimula that meets the manufacturer Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CK-4 engine oil category is required.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Just being a silly ***** here because I promise you I don't have a dog in this conversation but who actually Makes Mopar oil as of right now?
Whom every gives them the lowest bid lol. I know from talking to several SM in different states over the past 10 years they all said the same thing, for non warranty oil changes they can use what ever brand of bulk oil they want that meets current oil requirements, for warranty work they have to use what ever the current flavor of oil they FCA requires, back in 2007/8 they used Mobile 1, being I see them pushing Pennzoil synthetic they maybe current supplier for warrant work oil...

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD

Agree the 2019 up engine no longer use 15w40 oil do to cam & lifter changes that now require the oil to be used be 10w30 or 5w40 synthetic oil... I just had mine service yesterday and they had to tell lube person that it was okay for me to put 5w40 oil in my 2022 truck, he thought only 10w30 could be used, it was his first time seeing anyone use 5w40 oil.

Not sure why OP did not ask why the were using or did use 15w oil when owners manual states 10w30 or 5w40 synthetic, no where do they list using 15w40 oil as okay in a 2022 Cummins and he was made aware of that fact here on Ram Forum...

Because of that the lube guy questioning my oil, it allowed us to have a nice off the record talk about oil and why they think the Hemi has lifter problems...

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Agree the 2019 up engine no longer use 15w40 oil do to cam & lifter changes that now require the oil to be used be 10w30 or 5w40 synthetic oil... I just had mine service yesterday and they had to tell lube person that it was okay for me to put 5w40 oil in my 2022 truck, he thought only 10w30 could be used, it was his first time seeing anyone use 5w40 oil.

Not sure why OP did not ask why the were using or did use 15w oil when owners manual states 10w30 or 5w40 synthetic, no where do they list using 15w40 oil as okay in a 2022 Cummins and he was made aware of that fact here on Ram Forum...

Because of that the lube guy questioning my oil, it allowed us to have a nice off the record talk about oil and why they think the Hemi has lifter problems...

Where did you service? Dealership, Quickie Lube, or Independent Shop?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Agree the 2019 up engine no longer use 15w40 oil do to cam & lifter changes that now require the oil to be used be 10w30 or 5w40 synthetic oil...
and probably by now they're is a few hot shot drivers that have put well over 100K miles on the +'19 Cummins running 15W-40 in the sump without any issues. Not saying it's okay but if the engine isn't subject to the cold the W # of the oil isn't as important.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Where did you service? Dealership, Quickie Lube, or Independent Shop?
Dealership as it was in for them to look at my AC, the vent temp would only get down to 50 degrees when it was 72 outside o_O , I was told that is acceptable output temp and if I put it on max AC with just center vents they could get it to down to 45, he did not like it when I told him Bull *hit as my 16 year old Dodge would give you 38 degree vent temp at 80 without max AC, the vent door broke years ago, he did not like me saying that, tried the my old truck had R12, sorry but it had the same R134a my 22....

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
and probably by now they're is a few hot shot drivers that have put well over 100K miles on the +'19 Cummins running 15W-40 in the sump without any issues. Not saying it's okay but if the engine isn't subject to the cold the W # of the oil isn't as important.
Have heard of 2 hot shot using that oil but they also had over 100K on the truck before using it. If my truck was under warranty I sure as heck would not be using 15w oil, I would not want to give FCA a reason to say sorry about your cam/lifter problems but you used the wrong oil...

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yeah, please don't wipe cams like us Hemi guys. Not saying you will, just don't egg it on, please.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
The new Cummins diesels are designed for use with synthetic oil according to the owner's manual. They reduce some wear on start up, and are easier to turn over in winter. Synthetic oil does not wear out. It gets dirty, but does a better job than dino oil. It is not folklore.

Last edited:

Freakydude

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
The new Cummins diesels are designed for use with synthetic oil according to the owner's manual. They reduce some wear on start up, and are easier to turn over in winter. Synthetic oil does not wear out. It gets dirty, but does a better job than dino oil. It is not folklore.
where you see synthetic oils clearly and easily surpass dino oil is in Northern states and Canada. Synthetics are better in high heat, colder colds and overall life. Plus in general they are less alkaline and flow much freer on the dry starts.
I'd like to see Dino oils run as long without damage as synthetics, that ain't ever gonna happen. Yeah standard oil is cheap but then again saving a couple bucks on my oil isn't worth it when that couple bucks ruins thousands of dollars in engine.
If your that cheap maybe you should be riding a bus?

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
I am in favor of using synthetic oil and not being cheap. I have used it for at least 10 years in all of my vehicles including a Ford 7.3.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That's not accurate, since the Ram owners manual also lists 10-30 non-synthetic oil as an acceptable oil for the current gen 6.7 motor. I debated which to use since I don't live in the snow belt. But given the price difference at Walmart between the 2 recommended oils was only $3 a gallon, I just picked up the 5-40 T-6. Won't need it for a year, but I like to be prepared.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
That's not accurate, since the Ram owners manual also lists 10-30 non-synthetic oil as an acceptable oil for the current gen 6.7 motor. I debated which to use since I don't live in the snow belt. But given the price difference at Walmart between the 2 recommended oils was only $3 a gallon, I just picked up the 5-40 T-6. Won't need it for a year, but I like to be prepared.
Nothing wrong with having an oil change or two on hand as you never know when you may need it, I also keep 2 oil filters on hand & carry one of them in the truck at all times along with as et of fuel filters just in case... I'm currently using synthetic 5w40 in my 22, I used Rotella T6 5w40 in my old 06 CTD for over 12 years without any problems...

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don't know if it's different in the USA but in Canada most Mopar oils are made by Shell / Penzoil . That's why they mention Shell Rotella .

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Might double check - I recall Cummins requires 10W-30 in the newer motors because they switched to hydraulic lifters, won't get oiled sufficiently with too viscous an oil.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Might double check - I recall Cummins requires 10W-30 in the newer motors because they switched to hydraulic lifters, won't get oiled sufficiently with too viscous an oil.
Thanks, I double checked before I posted. The change was that 15-40 non-syn was no longer an oil that was recommended. That was a recommended oil in my 18 2500 CTD. Now it's 5-40 syn or 10-30 syn/non-syn in my 22 2500 CTD.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Thanks, I double checked before I posted. The change was that 15-40 non-syn was no longer an oil that was recommended. That was a recommended oil in my 18 2500 CTD. Now it's 5-40 syn or 10-30 syn/non-syn in my 22 2500 CTD.

Thanks for looking that up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avurado