Mopar V6 efan conversion and towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
So it looks like I will be towing a trailer in the near feature. I am guessing the weight will be around 5,000 lbs. Its a long haul. Has anyone towed with their efan conversion? If so, how were the temps for trans and coolant? Actual numbers would be appreciated.

My efan is tuned. So, it comes on at 190*. I have a 170* t-stat and AGS delete. My v6 fan is a Mopar one. I am wondering if I will be fine or?

Thanks

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you remove your clutch fan? If your clutch fan is still on, then no worries. V6 efan is larger than v8 efan to allow clutch fan removal and still keep temps where needed. With no clutch fan, you'll probably be fine if you're not going through mountains. Then again, it is winter time too, so lower temps to begin with. If you're concerned, throw the clutch fan back on.

I haven't personally towed with my v6 efan and clutch fan removed, just going by what I recall seeing others experiencing over the years with the setup.

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Did you remove your clutch fan? If your clutch fan is still on, then no worries. V6 efan is larger than v8 efan to allow clutch fan removal and still keep temps where needed. With no clutch fan, you'll probably be fine if you're not going through mountains. Then again, it is winter time too, so lower temps to begin with. If you're concerned, throw the clutch fan back on.

I haven't personally towed with my v6 efan and clutch fan removed, just going by what I recall seeing others experiencing over the years with the setup.
Clutch fan and v6 fan wont both fit :(
I did keep the efan and clutch fan just in case. It is a thought.
Ya, from the ones I saw they had the lower cfm e-fans from Amazon. I wondered if that was why? I used a cfm checker (forget actual name) and the Mopar v6 e-fan is 3250 cfm. I think (not confirmed) Amazon e-fan is half that.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Clutch fan and v6 fan wont both fit :(
I did keep the efan and clutch fan just in case. It is a thought.
Ya, from the ones I saw they had the lower cfm e-fans from Amazon. I wondered if that was why? I used a cfm checker (forget actual name) and the Mopar v6 e-fan is 3250 cfm. I think (not confirmed) Amazon e-fan is half that.
I had no idea the clutch fan didn't fit with the v6 efan lol. Good to know I suppose.

Definitely leaning more towards you should be good, especially only towing 5k.

May want to have a spare tstat just incase. I've had pretty consistent "luck" with my jet 180s going bad around 36k miles. I dont understand why more people don't have this issue with longevity. That's in this ram and two previous 300C's. That remind me, I'm probably around 36k on my current one lol.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I had no idea the clutch fan didn't fit with the v6 efan lol. Good to know I suppose.

Definitely leaning more towards you should be good, especially only towing 5k.

May want to have a spare tstat just incase. I've had pretty consistent "luck" with my jet 180s going bad around 36k miles. I dont understand why more people don't have this issue with longevity. That's in this ram and two previous 300C's. That remind me, I'm probably around 36k on my current one lol.
Through those s hitty Jet thermostats over your shoulder as far as you can,they'll only bite you in the ass.I went through 3 of them in less then 6 months,replaced them with a garden variety Stant thermostat 5 years ago,and haven't had any issues with it since.Alot of guys are using the high flow Milodon thermostats,but i never had much luck with them either.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Through those s hitty Jet thermostats over your shoulder as far as you can,they'll only bite you in the ass.I went through 3 of them in less then 6 months,replaced them with a garden variety Stant thermostat 5 years ago,and haven't had any issues with it since.Alot of guys are using the high flow Milodon thermostats,but i never had much luck with them either.
Glad it's not just me then. I believe I did get my last tstat from moes though, so I may be ok now. Don't recall what brand it was, but pretty sure it wasn't a jet.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I towed the same or slightly heavier without the clutch fan, stock stat, no tune and with AGS, the fan will run non stop when in traffic but never overheated. This was in the summer. Trans never went over 203 on big hills, coolant never went over 212.

Limiting factor was the grille, the Big Horn/sport grille has limited cooling capacity due to limited air flow - hit it towing on 95 degree day with decent humidity. Still didn't over heat but couldn't cool below 212 degrees.
Honey comb flows much more air.
Wishbone is in between those two.

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I towed the same or slightly heavier without the clutch fan, stock stat, no tune and with AGS, the fan will run non stop when in traffic but never overheated. This was in the summer. Trans never went over 203 on big hills, coolant never went over 212.

Limiting factor was the grille, the Big Horn/sport grille has limited cooling capacity due to limited air flow - hit it towing on 95 degree day with decent humidity. Still didn't over heat but couldn't cool below 212 degrees.
Honey comb flows much more air.
Wishbone is in between those two.
Sounds like I should be good then. Thanks for your feedback.