Mopars new turbo 6 cylinder Hurricane's appear to be very impressive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My dad always like the biggest small blocks - they were the most efficient use of materials and were priced as such. While gas mileage wasn't good, it wasn't horrendous as it was with the big blocks. So, I shared his enthusiasm, all the more so getting my mechanical engineering degree, that app. 400 c.i.d. V8's were the 'ultimate' engine for most of my moderate-load uses. Even with all the changes in technology and emissions, it still hold true to me.

God knows it would cost an arm and a leg fueling the old 440 big block today! I guess my point is the Hemi doesn't do anything for me literally, and figuratively. It's just marketing crap. And you really gotta watch it boosting sparkies since we all expect 200,000+ miles out of them today.

If diesels didn't have to have all the exhaust aftertreatment crap, I might have kept buying them.
I'm of the same era,good old big blocks,that wouldn't pass a gas station,but damn with a bit of chrome they were good looking engines ,lol. Still can't beat the looks of an old 454 or 440 with chrome valve covers and an aftermarket aluminium intake;)

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm of the same era,good old big blocks,that wouldn't pass a gas station,but damn with a bit of chrome they were good looking engines ,lol. Still can't beat the looks of an old 454 or 440 with chrome valve covers and an aftermarket aluminium intake;)

Remember the 455 Buick? Friend had one in an Electra Convertible. We cruised in it. Man, what a tank!

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well, spark-ignited engines never produced a lot of low rpm torque. And the Hemi's claim to fame is high rpm horsepower for racing. Hardly an appropriate fit with trucks except for the newish fad of truck racers.
The whole point of siamese valving is better high speed breathing. Hence Richard Petty's wins.
Nothing special about 426 Hemi except more displacement. Engine Masters showed how the 440 kicked the 426's a$$ up to 5,000 rpm.
Any of you running 5,000 rpm routinely? Hemi is nothing more than a marketing gimmick outside of racing.
Yes/no. The extra displacement and long stroke very likely would have helped the low end considerably. The Gen 2 426 Hemi had a large bore and short stroke by comparison. How much this would have helped, who really knows. But if you compare a Gen3 426 to the Ford 7.3 Godzilla motor they both have a similar bore and stroke combination. And the Ford engine appears to have a healthy torque curve. Again, I know this is all speculation but it would have been an easy "fix" for the Ram HD trucks.

As others said, my biggest initial concern with the Hurricane engine is the DI only configuration. I don't care what BS they post based upon my personal experience it's eventually going to be a problem. Strange FCA didn't learn from others and do a dual injector configuration.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yes/no. The extra displacement and long stroke very likely would have helped the low end considerably. The Gen 2 426 Hemi had a large bore and short stroke by comparison. How much this would have helped, who really knows. But if you compare a Gen3 426 to the Ford 7.3 Godzilla motor they both have a similar bore and stroke combination. And the Ford engine appears to have a healthy torque curve. Again, I know this is all speculation but it would have been an easy "fix" for the Ram HD trucks.

As others said, my biggest initial concern with the Hurricane engine is the DI only configuration. I don't care what BS they post based upon my personal experience it's eventually going to be a problem. Strange FCA didn't learn from others and do a dual injector configuration.

There is a cylinder pressure limit for S.I. engines that is much lower than C.I. engines. Building a C.I. long block gets you a diesel, not a gasser.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
There is a cylinder pressure limit for S.I. engines that is much lower than C.I. engines. Building a C.I. long block gets you a diesel, not a gasser.

I was just referring to direct injection only long term issues as opposed to a dual direct/port injection setup in my comments. So not sure where you are coming from here.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Remember the 455 Buick? Friend had one in an Electra Convertible. We cruised in it. Man, what a tank!
The torque monster of the big blocks,hard to beat the old 455 Buicks 510 lb-ft at 2800 rpm.It was a tire smoking engine even in heavy old Buick wagons,lol. Only downside to the Buick was it's pisss poor oiling system,both it and AMC's external oil pumps left alot to be desired,aarrgghh,lol.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The torque monster of the big blocks,hard to beat the old 455 Buicks 510 lb-ft at 2800 rpm.It was a tire smoking engine even in heavy old Buick wagons,lol. Only downside to the Buick was it's pisss poor oiling system,both it and AMC's external oil pumps left alot to be desired,aarrgghh,lol.

You could literally watch the gas gauge go down when flooring it! ha ha

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You could literally watch the gas gauge go down when flooring it! ha ha
I grew up with an uncle who bought a brand new 71 Hemi Charger with dual Carters,that thing would drain a gas tank faster then most of the old muscle cars. My dads old 428 Galaxie would eat his younger brothers Hemi to 125,then the Hemi would start to come alive,but the old man was pretty crafty,he'd get on the brakes at about 120,and then tell my uncle the race was over,lol

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Lol, have to admit that happened to me a lot. Can't tell you the times I got eat up out of the hole. I always loved running them down and they'd let off when they saw I was going to go by them and claimed they won. I'd just tell them that their girlfriend wished they would last longer too! That always shut them up! Lol

Ludville1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Sport Crew
Sure do remember the 455 Buick. Had a '71 Buick Gran Sport Stage 1 455. The engine was rebuilt with Speed Pro high compression pistons, block was bored.030 over, Kennedy-Bell C113 cam and lifters, and ****** headers. Backed by a built Turbo 400, to a 12 bolt Chevy posi unit with 3.90 gears. That car would run!