More info on HD recall Y97

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This the recall for the 68RFE tranny over flowing and possibly squirting fluid on the turbo, causing engine fires. Talked with the dealer today about this recall. So what he said they are going to do is , with provided parts in a kit..... REMOVE THE OE DIPSTICK ASSEMBLY AND REPLACE IT WITH A much SHORTER VENTED TUBE. YOU WILL NO LONGER BE ABLE TO CHECK YOUR TRANNY FLUID LEVELS via the current dispstick as it will be no longer there. Also the vented replacement tube, can over flow fluid from underneath the tuck, instead of on the turbo.

Not sure this is what I wish to have happen. So what happens down the road, when you want to change the fluids in the tranny?
One would think the idiot manufacturers would get past this pesky problem. In the 1998-2005 S/T Blazer/ Jimmy, GM had a recall on them and pick ups/ Suburban/ Tahoe vehicles so that the vent hose on the dorsal surface of the top of the transmission model M30 (4L60E) being rerouted away from dumping ATF fluid onto the catalytic converter. The Blazer/ Jimmy models also would puke fluid out of the dipstick tube onto the hot exhaust manifold or catalytic converter.

The unspoken fact was that uninformed (ignorant) owners would overfill the transmissions to cause the fluid puking. Sad thing was the idiot manufacturers overlooked such a glaring fuggup as to be so careless as to manufacture a vent provision which COULD puke flammable oil onto the exhaust.

This FCA recall is designed (I'm extrapolating) to take away from the owner the ability TO overfill the transmission. I also wonder how practical it would be to make a shield to divert overflow somewhere besides onto the hot Turbo.

Finally, keep in mind that trucks and SUV's do not have to adhere to the stricter safety rules as do passenger cars in the US.

OP
OP
stevenP

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
With RAMcares help, I was able to get a new tranny longer dipstick ordered for my 2022 2500 finally. All of the new recall kits now have this longer 44 inch locking dipstick. It arrived at the local dealer who called me to let me know its in. Have an appointment next week to have it installed. I doubt I would have gotten the part, without their help. Especially after the recall was performed with the short useless stick assembly. Many thanks to the RAM cares team, they were great with communication and they got this accomplished!

chopperdog45

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
I reckon I got lucky - I had to take my truck in for a warranty job and the SA mentioned the open recalls. I asked them to please order the longer dipstick and not do the trans recall until they got the longer dipstick in, and they agreed. They did the other two recalls and said they ordered the longer dipstick.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
With RAMcares help, I was able to get a new tranny longer dipstick ordered for my 2022 2500 finally. All of the new recall kits now have this longer 44 inch locking dipstick. It arrived at the local dealer who called me to let me know its in. Have an appointment next week to have it installed. I doubt I would have gotten the part, without their help. Especially after the recall was performed with the short useless stick assembly. Many thanks to the RAM cares team, they were great with communication and they got this accomplished!
We are glad that we were able to assist you with this. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you need any further assistance. Thank you

William
Ram Cares

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddo