More payload best coil springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorinRadd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
2011 1500. Wondering if anyone here could point me towards the best way to get more payload in my truck. I assume it’s heavy duty coil springs. Are there coil springs that are a dual rate type where they ride normal and then when loaded they use the stiffer half.

looking to double payload. But anything counts. Haul rock and soil for my job.

Do any of the popular off-road brands make cheap ones? On a budget

thank you

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Your going to blasted by the payload police for asking to double your payload, they're argument is you can't do anything to change it legally and you should buy a 3500 instead.
If your looking to keep the rear end of your truck from dragging on the ground, look into a set of TufTruck springs probably the TT -1223
https://tuftruck.com/products/ttc-1223/
Keep in mind, you might be able keep the rear end from dragging but rear axle bearing will only take so much abuse before they give out.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Air bags would be a better option imo but like stated doesn't legally change anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'll agree with you on the airbags but if he's on a budget It's probably $350 for the AirLift or Timber Grove airbags and another $350 for the WirelessOne compressor. Compared to $250 for a set of higher capacity springs, that will probably hold enough weight to overload the axle bearings.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
You can put all the springs and airbags you want on there. It won't change the load rating of the axle itself. You're always going to be limited by the weakest link, and that's the axle itself.

That said you really can't beat the AirLift 1000 helper bags for under $100.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
...And don't forget, You have to get it stopped! Brakes are factored into payload.
I said the very thing when I was talking to folks about getting my new TT.... its only 5k lbs, "oh sure your good, that's less than 8k you are rated at." some bragged about towing more. I said Great, you got 400hp under the hood to get it rolling, but what about stopping that 8K beast????

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Bearing failures on semi-floating axles are not pretty. Weight police aside…
Unless you’re changing axles, there is no way to double your payload capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Trailer brakes.

Trailer brakes stop the trailer but the tongue weight of the trailer goes onto the truck.

Also, the axle itself may or may not be the weak link. It could be tires, brakes, springs or something else. My 2014 2500 is rumored to have the same rear axle that goes on a 3500 SRW with a 7000# RAWR but I have a 6500# RAWR. My last truck had a RAWR of the exact sum total of the two rear tire ratings.

All this being said I totally agree that OP can't double his payload. Helper bags and springs are great at helping tow up near the limits of a truck but aren't a magical wand to increase anything.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
You can put all the springs and airbags you want on there. It won't change the load rating of the axle itself. You're always going to be limited by the weakest link, and that's the axle itself.

That said you really can't beat the AirLift 1000 helper bags for under $100.

Weakest link is probably the tires not axle. As stated above, you can add all kinds of things to help out, but if you are hauling a lot EVERY day, something is going to fail you. Better off to have the right tool for the job!

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Weakest link is probably the tires not axle. As stated above, you can add all kinds of things to help out, but if you are hauling a lot EVERY day, something is going to fail you. Better off to have the right tool for the job!

Ehhh, the 1500 RAWR is like 3900#. Most standard truck tires are load range C with an index of 114 - 116, so 2600-2700 lbs. Both rear tires combined exceed the weight rating on the axle. Unless you're running some complete **** SL rated tires it's not really an issue, so long as you're maxing PSI while towing.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ehhh, the 1500 RAWR is like 3900#. Most standard truck tires are load range C with an index of 114 - 116, so 2600-2700 lbs. Both rear tires combined exceed the weight rating on the axle. Unless you're running some complete **** SL rated tires it's not really an issue, so long as you're maxing PSI while towing.
That’s the axle weight rating that ram gives it based on the suspension sitting on top of it. The rating of the axle itself is far greater. You’ll run out of tire rating before you run out of axle rating, provided the suspension can handle it.