Morimoto headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Well I did some more asking and I am not happy with what I got.

Talked to JJ over at retroshop, and he asked to see this thread so he can make his own response, but I didn't get good news.

Basically Morimoto is expediting 50 headlights from all dealers. That's it. That order is set to ship out at the end of this month. The rest of which are coming via ship won't be around till March time frame. So you're reading right. Between ALL authorized dealers of Morimoto products only 50 headlights will be expedited. The rest will come later.

I asked about cost and an actual date for those who want to expedite but that info isn't available yet.

Yes I am considering canceling my order, if that's something I can even do at this point, because I have to leave for a school in April and won't be back until July time frame so I will barely get my headlights installed then have to park the truck. If that's turned into my situation I may as well wait until I get back and buy them used or maybe some coupons will work on them then.

Not the news I wanted to hear. Hopefully JJ will be able to provide more insight.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Well.....what you'd said is pretty much what I know right now.

Does it....suck? Yes.....drives me nuts.

I've presold quite a few, and.....a few delays - I know I've had a few cancellations, few change orders (to custom lights), etc........and yeah, its no fun looking at orders that are just sitting in my system. But......trust me, we want them in our hands just as much as you guys do.

As soon as I have more info, I'll send that out to the customers that have purchased from us (RetroShop). I apologize, forum time is just so limited - trying to keep up on posts.......eek!

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I'm going to install my fogs from diode dynamics and see how they look . ..

And hey .. Maybe I don't even need these $1300 lights anymore . .. And maybe will cancel

Juniorss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I did some digging on these headlights. I don't know what Morimotos relationship is to TRS but these "Morimoto" healights are made in Taiwan by Coplus...

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
So I did some digging on these headlights. I don't know what Morimotos relationship is to TRS but these "Morimoto" healights are made in Taiwan by Coplus...
Is this good or bad?

Made in Taiwan is fine IMO... I'm not expecting them to be made in Japan

RamHemi2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
687e56f0b4b1dbbcd7cc79cbe418eaaf.jpg I’ll just leave this here. From Morimoto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamHemi2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the ram that came with the quad headlights not the projectors. Apparently there’s two different set ups they use for quad and projectors. I just want to know if the ones for the ram quad will ship faster then projectors since my truck doesn’t come with DRL anyway. If it activates when I put the parking lights on that’s fine. I drive with my fogs and parking lights on now.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
"...best headlights to ever hit the market"

That's a bold statement and must surely mean they beat HID's in every way, OR they are just full of it and can't be trusted.

My take......yes, gotta have some marketing in there, but......it should state that its the best "mass produced", or something along those lines.

Coplus has been around for a bit......they make lights for many different vehicles. I actually talked to them about a year ago on some lights. In this case, the design ideas, modifications, etc came from Morimoto - sourced to Coplus to produce. Morimoto pays a nice sum to be the sole distributor of the lights. Similar to the "Raxium" (I think it was) lights for the Mustangs a few years ago. They had a 5 year contract, if I remember correctly - and after that.....the line was opened to all resellers.

I have the ram that came with the quad headlights not the projectors. Apparently there’s two different set ups they use for quad and projectors. I just want to know if the ones for the ram quad will ship faster then projectors since my truck doesn’t come with DRL anyway. If it activates when I put the parking lights on that’s fine. I drive with my fogs and parking lights on now.

That won't matter.......all of the lights are designed with the 14 pin plug, and all of the lights will come with the wiring to mate to the truck, either with the OEM projectors or with the Quads / Duals. Its simpler for production to NOT have 2 different SKUs, etc to keep up with.

RamHemi2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I did some more asking and I am not happy with what I got.

Talked to JJ over at retroshop, and he asked to see this thread so he can make his own response, but I didn't get good news.

Basically Morimoto is expediting 50 headlights from all dealers. That's it. That order is set to ship out at the end of this month. The rest of which are coming via ship won't be around till March time frame. So you're reading right. Between ALL authorized dealers of Morimoto products only 50 headlights will be expedited. The rest will come later.

I asked about cost and an actual date for those who want to expedite but that info isn't available yet.

Yes I am considering canceling my order, if that's something I can even do at this point, because I have to leave for a school in April and won't be back until July time frame so I will barely get my headlights installed then have to park the truck. If that's turned into my situation I may as well wait until I get back and buy them used or maybe some coupons will work on them then.

Not the news I wanted to hear. Hopefully JJ will be able to provide more insight.

You should be able to cancel and get a refund. You didn’t get the product in a timely manor. They have to refund the money.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
You should be able to cancel and get a refund. You didn’t get the product in a timely manor. They have to refund the money.

Yes, he can. I (referred to as JJ in this conversation) have no problem issuing refunds.....sucks, but I totally get it.

Just hoping these bad boys show up soon and we can get them out to our customers. We have a LOT pre sold here!

Pre sales.....well, I think Morimoto learned a few things on these with the XB line of headlights.......assumptions on production can be fun - and.....if a delay happens.......well, lots of people waiting, no fun on any of that!

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Is there a separate pin, or is it controlled by the computer? What I mean is, you can choose which lights to activate as DRL in alfaOBD, and it will adjust the voltage to that particular light. Say projectors with the turn signals selected = 100 % brightness, choose hi beams and the voltage to the light drops to, lets say, 50%. This is why I think it is a computer setting rather than a pin. Just my 2 cents, could be wrong.

It’s 100% a pin in the harness. When the DRLs are activated by the dealer the computer will activate that pin when the transmission is put into drive.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It’s 100% a pin in the harness. When the DRLs are activated by the dealer the computer will activate that pin when the transmission is put into drive.

There is no separate pin for DRL. The headlights and turn signal outputs are PWM controlled from the control module. Which light is on and how bright it is all programming.

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is no separate pin for DRL. The headlights and turn signal outputs are PWM controlled from the control module. Which light is on and how bright it is all programming.

So DRL's have a brightness control?

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

Here is the diagram for our harnesses. I used this diagram as well to wire my Recons to run as DRLs on my last truck with a DRL1 module.

Note PIN 4 is dedicated as a DRL. Although it needs to be activated from the dealer for that pin to actually function, it is in fact a separate pin on our harness.

11587cda7e587c49facd9eb46938dbcb.jpg

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Here is the diagram for our harnesses. I used this diagram as well to wire my Recons to run as DRLs on my last truck with a DRL1 module.

Note PIN 4 is dedicated as a DRL. Although it needs to be activated from the dealer for that pin to actually function, it is in fact a separate pin on our harness.

11587cda7e587c49facd9eb46938dbcb.jpg

Additional info from a 13 ram (same up to 2018).
- Base/premium schematics
- Base vs premium Headlamp connectors

View attachment EXTERIOR-LIGHTING-SYSTEM---BASE ++.pdfView attachment LAMP-HEADLAMP-LEFT C1 (Base).pdfView attachment LAMP-HEADLAMP-LEFT C2 (Base).pdfView attachment EXTERIOR-LIGHTING-SYSTEM---PREMIUM ++.pdfView attachment LAMP-HEADLAMP-LEFT C1 (Premium).pdf

M² Mods.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
So DRL's have a brightness control?

I'm going to go on a limb and confirm yes but it is not a measuring difference. You either get full voltage or half + or -
Sorry for not knowing the exact voltage.

When I first activated DRL's I had full brightness going to the turn signals. It was awesome however a few other folks suggested on the Alfa thread to tweak a couple settings to get the LED's to live longer with less voltage being sent.

They are dimmer but not by much. I did not measure brightness to confirm my theory. I didn't need to I was satisfied with their recommendations.

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm going to go on a limb and confirm yes.

When I first activated DRL's I had full brightness going to the turn signals. It was awesome however a few other folks suggested on the Alfa thread to tweak a couple settings to get the LED's to live longer with less voltage being sent.

They are dimmer but not by much. I did not measure brightness to confirm my theory. I didn't need to I was satisfied with their recommendations.

When they are activated I believe there are several brightness settings. If you notice when you remote start your truck they are always dimmer than when you use your turn signals.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
When they are activated I believe there are several brightness settings. If you notice when you remote start your truck they are always dimmer than when you use your turn signals.

That's correct depending on the settings of lighting approach they can dim or not turn on at all with a remote start