Morimoto headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've got my set installed. I have a 2018 Ram Black Express Eco. My oem headlights are quad halogen reflectors. The light output on those was miserable.

I want to start first by saying, I love the morimotos. They look badass. They look like OEM build quality. They fit really well. They DONT look like cheap aftermarket crap.

having said that.... they don't work. lol. Well, they do work - Sort of. But not really. Let's say that every function of the lights work correctly, just not all at once hahahaha

OK let me explain further.

My truck is a Canadian truck with quad headlights. So those have 2 sets of bulbs. 1 for low beams, and 1 for high beams. And because it's Canadian I have DRL enabled from the factory. The way this works is the DRL is the high beam bulb, but the trucks ECU/BCM sends a lower voltage to that bulb which makes the highbeam bulb burn much dimmer than normal high beam operation.

This is causing all sorts of grief for me. The voltage on the oem highbeam wire is telling the morimotos to actuate the highbeam flap and at the same time seems to cause the morimoto projectors to turn on.

So with my headlight switch in the off position: I get dim DRL's, and high beam lights on.
Turning the headlight switch 1 turn to parking lights: The exact same behavior.
Turning the switch to headlights on: This releases the high beam actuator flap and I get low beams. Then I can manually actuate the highbeam flap as normal.

With any headlight position I get dimmed DRL's :(

ALL THIS HAPPENS BEFORE THE BCM ******* THAT IT CANT FIND MY HIGHBEAM BULBS. THEN, THE BCM FINALLY REALIZES THE HIGHBEAM BULBS ARE MISSING...... I get the bulb out message and then things change.

Now the truck stops trying to send voltage to my highbeam bulbs for DRL's as it assumes the bulbs are burnt out. So.....

Now if my headlight switch is in the off position: I get ultra bright DRL's from the morimotos. They look freaking amazing like this by the way. Also no more headlights with highbeams on when they shouldnt be. Also the auto dimming of the DRL with the sequential turn signal works perfectly which is a really cool feature!
If I turn my switch to the parking light position: The DRL's DIM so normal operation I think(dimming)?
If I turn on the headlights: I get DIM DRL's and headlights on with no Hi beams. BUT....... highbeam toggle doesn't work :(

So far Morimotos response is to suggest I ask my dealer to disable DRL's in the BCM. I haven't tried calling my service manager yet but I'm skeptical if they will do this for me. DRL's are a legal requirement in Canada. Yes the DRL's are active with the fuse tap DRL add-on wire harness so my truck is technically road legal even if dodge disables them for me. But I have my doubts as to whether or not they will actually do it for me in the software because they might ask "what happens if I take out the morimotos?"

My OPTIONS SO FAR:

1) I am going to ask my dealer to do this for me but I'm already expecting a resounding NO. I don't suppose there are any dodge technicians on this forum in the Greater Toronto Area than can do this for me?

2) There is also the OBD Genie route, but apparently my truck has some sort of security module that requires me to go with the extra expensive version of the software fix which will be somewhere just south of 300 USD. Ouch. (dont forget I got US-CAN exchange rates to work with). It does however add a cool option in the Uconnect interface to enable disable DRL's via a check box. (thats cool) My question is, can FCA see if I've done this. Would it void my warranty?????

3) Attempt to wire in Low Voltage Disconnect relay between the OEM harness and the morimoto harness on the highbeam wire. This would trap the low voltage on the high-beam wire before it make's it to the morimoto harness. If I trigger highbeams, the extra voltage would disable the LVD and allow the full 12V to enter the morimoto harness like normal. IN THEORY

I do love the lights. I pre-ordered black friday and have waited and waited. I had hoped it would be trouble free. I suspect Morimoto didn't account for Canadian Trucks with QUAD Halogen Reflector DRL enabled in the software????? But now I'm stuck with a $1600CAN problem and I'm a little frustrated.
I know exactly what you’re talking about, and it seems this is the ONE option they didn’t take into account (a Canadian quad truck). DO NOT buy an OBD Genie. It is an overpriced one trick pony. Instead, get the AlfaOBD app from the google play store (49 USD), the OBDlink MX Bluetooth interface (~70 USD), and contact M2mods on here for the security bypass (50 USD). This will take care of your DRL location, put the on/off toggle in your radio, and allow you a multitude of options for changing settings and adding options in the BCM. No, it won’t void your warranty (any more than adding aftermarket lights), as all you’re doing is moving a factory feature to a different location that is also used by the factory.

Morgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I know exactly what you’re talking about, and it seems this is the ONE option they didn’t take into account (a Canadian quad truck). DO NOT buy an OBD Genie. It is an overpriced one trick pony. Instead, get the AlfaOBD app from the google play store (49 USD), the OBDlink MX Bluetooth interface (~70 USD), and contact M2mods on here for the security bypass (50 USD). This will take care of your DRL location, put the on/off toggle in your radio, and allow you a multitude of options for changing settings and adding options in the BCM. No, it won’t void your warranty (any more than adding aftermarket lights), as all you’re doing is moving a factory feature to a different location that is also used by the factory.

Oh my god. I'm doing exactly this. Thank you so much for replying to this. incredible! Once I do this I will post back with my results!

CumminsFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you had the LM5 sales code added to your truck, then this will mimic a Canadian truck. The instructions for a Canadian truck have the DRL fuse tap NOT being used, and the male and female blue wire connectors plugged together.

Instructions have not been updated for the new design. According to Matt from TRS which is Morimoto the fuse tap needs to be used on all lights I even bought Alpha OBD to change it my self in the codes to now avail.

CumminsFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They’re probably using a Chinese knock-off male connector to mate with the factory TE Connectivity (pink) connector, and the tolerance is off allowing water past the factory connector seal. Make sure you smear dielectric grease across the pink connector, otherwise those terminals will be corroded away pretty quick.

No I’ll attach a pic the holes in the lower part of the plug leaves the wires exposed to the elements which also exposes the unused pin holes allowing water to enter

7279423A-09AD-4AF6-9782-8F686C82E7FA.jpeg

WVRam68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I believe DeereGuy is the one that makes the 2018 security cable. X2 on everything else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CumminsFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

DRLs still will not work under factory use still need the tap done this tried all of the settings

WVRam68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
DRLs still will not work under factory use still need the tap done this tried all of the settings

Disagree, mine are connect to drl connection and work perfect, same as Arth that had factory projectors, but were plug and play for him. Check his post #1333

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is not true, and TRS is contradicting themselves when they say this- ooLM0Id.jpg
Exactly what settings are you enabling for DRLs with the alfaobd?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No I’ll attach a pic the holes in the lower part of the plug leaves the wires exposed to the elements which also exposes the unused pin holes allowing water to enter

View attachment 164064
Yeah, that’s no good either. I was referring to the corrosion on your factory pink connector and it’s mating connector. It all needs to be addressed before it’s corroded to nothing.

Last edited:

CumminsFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Disagree, mine are connect to drl connection and work perfect, same as Arth that had factory projectors, but were plug and play for him. Check his post #1333

Are you a first batch recipient

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
5.9L Magnum and 5.7L hemi
This is very disappointing to hear all these problems after waiting so long and mine still havent shipped yet, I ordered black Friday as well. I have an american truck with quads so fingers crossed it will work better. Hopefully will have mine soon and I can post my results

CumminsFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is very disappointing to hear all these problems after waiting so long and mine still havent shipped yet, I ordered black Friday as well. I have an american truck with quads so fingers crossed it will work better. Hopefully will have mine soon and I can post my results

It will be the same there is no separation of quads or projectors now they are all shipped setup for quads all the projector guys do is remove the adapter harness. Yes I thought this strange as well I thought I was shipped the wrong lights as I have projectors but I confirmed through email with Matt from TRS/Morimoto That this is the case I guess the figured less items to stock

WVRam68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any of the projector guys that wouldn't mind parting with the extra "quad" harness, let me know.

Had one of my plugs not right, but it I can get ahold of one of the harness, I'll put up just in case. Not worth warranty at this point.

Thank you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Reddington

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Canadian trucks with quads have DRL enabled which is what seems to be causing the problem here. I do not think that US customers with quads will have this issue as our DRL is not enabled from the factory. Someone did have the dealer enable it and that caused issues, but I think (and could be wrong) that those of us with quads in the US will be fine.