Morimoto XB LED Headlights INSTALLED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
That attitude will just make them more of a rarity for those of us who bought them so hopefully more people think the same way [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Limited or not you still need quality and functionality, they'll fix the issues I'm sure then everyone will have them. I'm sure most folks that bought them are disappointed with some of the issues. How could you not be, value for your dollar.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Limited or not you still need quality and functionality, they'll fix the issues I'm sure then everyone will have them. I'm sure most folks that bought them are disappointed with some of the issues. How could you not be, value for your dollar.

It’s an annoyance but it’s not the end of the world considering within a couple days they jumped right on the problem to make a fix.
If you could understand how complex the canbus systems in the rams are you’d be a lot more understanding. They are extremely complicated so I see it more as rams fault than morimotos

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
It’s an annoyance but it’s not the end of the world considering within a couple days they jumped right on the problem to make a fix.
If you could understand how complex the canbus systems in the rams are you’d be a lot more understanding. They are extremely complicated so I see it more as rams fault than morimotos

I fully understand the CANBUS systems in our trucks. It is my thought or maybe expectation though, that if you're going to design an aftermarket replacement knowing the system it needs to work with, you need to design it to work and work right. If that means spending an extra 6-12 months in testing with R&D then so be it. CANBUS isn't new in our trucks, its been a well known barrier in the lighting game for some time now.

Don't get me wrong, they are very nice lights and I'm glad there are finally legit LED solutions with quality output as it should be from the factory, as HID's are to unreliable long term. I will eventually purchase a pair, if and when they can be proven to be a direct plug and play with no issues. Until then, they simply aren't worth their price tag.

Not attacking your lights, they look great. Again, the value for the $$ just isn't there at THIS time. I don't see it as unreasonable for a person to frown at these lights and bring into question their value, when they've got a 2K price tag and essentially have issues out of the box.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I fully understand the CANBUS systems in our trucks. It is my thought or maybe expectation though, that if you're going to design an aftermarket replacement knowing the system it needs to work with, you need to design it to work and work right. If that means spending an extra 6-12 months in testing with R&D then so be it. CANBUS isn't new in our trucks, its been a well known barrier in the lighting game for some time now.

Don't get me wrong, they are very nice lights and I'm glad there are finally legit LED solutions with quality output as it should be from the factory, as HID's are to unreliable long term. I will eventually purchase a pair, if and when they can be proven to be a direct plug and play with no issues. Until then, they simply aren't worth their price tag.

Not attacking your lights, they look great. Again, the value for the $$ just isn't there at THIS time. I don't see it as unreasonable for a person to frown at these lights and bring into question their value, when they've got a 2K price tag and essentially have issues out of the box.
Can't agree more with your post. Greatly respect the first adopters, and love how lights look, but morimoto should have done more testing and delivered us better quality product, especially since they promised plug and play... And not a do it yourself Lego with a ball of harnesses and fixer-adapters hanging behind the lights exposed to elements.. Definitely don't see value for $1300 .. I'm thinking about canceling mine until bugs are worked out

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arth

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel

What's $650 among friends right? Cause these headlights aren't 2k. More like MSRP at TRS of $1350.

Lets be real here. People are balking at the price and that's fine it is a lot of money. That being said you can't build a matching set of headlights for this price ie (Switch back/sequential turn signals, bright white DRL, and lets say you drop in the M-LED projector because we are upgrading output here). Lets not forget those who are upgrading to projectors they've got to pay for the cost of a new housing too! So if you've got your own projector headlights already then you're in for $1400 plus shipping because we are assuming people don't want to get their hands ditry and will have Retroshop or somewhere do the work. If you don't have your own headlights add $850 or $625 for new housings. Hell with TYC housings we are over 2k!!!! You MIGHT be able to bring that price down a bit if you find good used housing but you won't drop below $1350.

Really though the value is already there because this fix is being provided for free. This harness that is inbound should be a simple solution that will also be plug and play. The errors that we have isn't actually hyper flashing it's the canbus system not getting the right feedback. According to TRS when they used that green Ram they ran for about a day without issue so they proceeded. A lesson learned I guess.

The other 950 that are coming will already have this fix implemented and all of the new owners won't have much to complain about.

Everything else about the headlights has been plug and play and so far is working flawlessly.

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
What's $650 among friends right? Cause these headlights aren't 2k. More like MSRP at TRS of $1350.

Lets be real here. People are balking at the price and that's fine it is a lot of money. That being said you can't build a matching set of headlights for this price ie (Switch back/sequential turn signals, bright white DRL, and lets say you drop in the M-LED projector because we are upgrading output here). Lets not forget those who are upgrading to projectors they've got to pay for the cost of a new housing too! So if you've got your own projector headlights already then you're in for $1400 plus shipping because we are assuming people don't want to get their hands ditry and will have Retroshop or somewhere do the work. If you don't have your own headlights add $850 or $625 for new housings. Hell with TYC housings we are over 2k!!!! You MIGHT be able to bring that price down a bit if you find good used housing but you won't drop below $1350.

Really though the value is already there because this fix is being provided for free. This harness that is inbound should be a simple solution that will also be plug and play. The errors that we have isn't actually hyper flashing it's the canbus system not getting the right feedback. According to TRS when they used that green Ram they ran for about a day without issue so they proceeded. A lesson learned I guess.

The other 950 that are coming will already have this fix implemented and all of the new owners won't have much to complain about.

Everything else about the headlights has been plug and play and so far is working flawlessly.
Sorry, I should've have clarified. Americans aren't the only ones who buy Morimoto products, for us Canadians its about a 2K touch with conversion shipping and duties.

Regardless of wether or not you could build these personally for more or less, with what you're paying even at your 1350, you should get a product that works with no issues. These lights were simply built with minimal testing and released to quickly. 1 day on 1 truck? that sounds like thorough testing to you? Your standards are vastly lower then some others if that's the case, which is fine but the lights still don't live up to other people standards with that price tag I don't care which way you put it.

If these were factory lights and came from the factory with the same issues you have mentioned, there would be an uproar nation wide. Whats the difference?

Fix or not, these are big dollar hype that don't meet the performance they were said to be as of yet. Fix or not. Morimoto going to pay you to install whatever fix they release? Is your time worth anything to you?

OP
OP
Arth

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Considering this is an aftermarket solution and not OEM you have no basis for comparison there since OEM's take YEARS to produce anything.

I already said it was a lesson learned so obviously i think 1 day of testing wasn't enough maybe you missed that.

You are missing the point, we are going to get a product that is going to work without issue. The first 50 of us just made sure of that. You're so hung up on today when in two weeks there won't be any issues out of the box. Not to mention Morimoto warranties these headlights too so any other defects that arise will be taken care of on a case by case basis.

Again how can you comment on performance now when in two weeks there won't be any issues?? Also morimoto isn't paying me to install the fix but they are providing it for free. My time to install this fix will probably be about 10 minutes. So what you don't have 10 minutes to spare in a day?

Finally you may be in Canada so your price tag on these is different but then so is everything else, higher apparently, so it is still a valid comparison.

Sorry, I should've have clarified. Americans aren't the only ones who buy Morimoto products, for us Canadians its about a 2K touch with conversion shipping and duties.

Regardless of wether or not you could build these personally for more or less, with what you're paying even at your 1350, you should get a product that works with no issues. These lights were simply built with minimal testing and released to quickly. 1 day on 1 truck? that sounds like thorough testing to you? Your standards are vastly lower then some others if that's the case, which is fine but the lights still don't live up to other people standards with that price tag I don't care which way you put it.

If these were factory lights and came from the factory with the same issues you have mentioned, there would be an uproar nation wide. Whats the difference?

Fix or not, these are big dollar hype that don't meat the performance they were said to be as of yet. Fix or not. Morimoto going to pay you to install whatever fix they release? Is your time worth anything to you?

Last edited:

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love the looks of these but I am actually a fan of the orange running light that dodge has.. Nothing like a seeing those orange light coming from a distance on a low lit or foggy day

I can agree with that.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love the looks of these but I am actually a fan of the orange running light that dodge has.. Nothing like a seeing those orange light coming from a distance on a low lit or foggy day

Yep, I agree with that too, the orange lights are a crisp, bright easy to identify light. Now with that said, I really like the brightness of the new F150 and Chevy/GMC trucks coming down the road too. And if these are as crisp and bright, theres something cool about almost 'never' seeing yourself coming down the road. It'll be cool to see other Ram owners take a second glance at you driving by with these. :)

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, I agree with that too, the orange lights are a crisp, bright easy to identify light. Now with that said, I really like the brightness of the new F150 and Chevy/GMC trucks coming down the road too. And if these are as crisp and bright, theres something cool about almost 'never' seeing yourself coming down the road. It'll be cool to see other Ram owners take a second glance at you driving by with these. :)

True, we are all here to stand out a little haha

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

The Morimotos are WAY brighter than the ford and Chevy DRLs on their factory housings. I can literally see where I’m going with just the DRLs on

acd118

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI VVT
It's my understanding that each model year has a exclusive program in the ECU from the factory. However, I lso believe the Alfa app and OBDLink tool can fix this. Check out the Alfa thread to see all the posts and information. Good luck

Juniorss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with the people who say that the lights shouldn't have these canbus issues. They have been working on these lights for a while and you're going to say that they didn't know about this issue? I think they are definitely a cool looking light and they are worth the money IF they function correctly.

nick00less

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
What’s even crazier is there’s a container on a ship filled with these lights already built.

Morimoto and TRS haven’t even seen the tip of the iceberg of the complaints they’re about to get.

I’ve ran 2 of TRS 2015+ harness’s on a 2017 and 2018 Ram 2500. Both trucks had issues even after their ‘engineers’ created this special harness for our ‘tricky’ canbus system.

Bottom line nothing will fix it unless you reprogram with alpha OBD.

Op I’m sorry this happened to you. But at the same time I’m not surprised from these companies either. They’re great companies but I think they jumped the gun. You spent a ton of money to get a subpar product.

What bothers me even more is seeing an uneven cutoff line. That right there is laziness in the assembly of the product.

Hope you get your lights fixed

Last edited:

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They had issues with the first set of Ford lights as well. I know I have a set on my wife's truck. Some had feedback with the radio (luckily I didn't get that) and some had poorly aimed lights (I did get that). I had to go out and adjust them.

On the Ford ones you loosened the screws for the projectors and gently twisted it to straighten it back up. Once i did that the cut off was perfectly level. I also had to adjust the high beams so they weren't pointing 20 feet in front of the truck. Again not too bad.

I will say that if they made it where you have to take them out to adjust that is annoying. I would still rather pull headlights on a Ram any day compared to an F150.

In the end it's good that they do take care of the issues. What does bug me a little is they seem to have no issue sending these out to a few to find out the initial issues. Hopefully as Morimoto grows further into this business they will get better at it.

Juniorss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What’s even crazier is there’s a container on a ship filled with these lights already built.

Morimoto and TRS haven’t even seen the tip of the iceberg of the complaints they’re about to get.

I’ve ran 2 of TRS 2015+ harness’s on a 2017 and 2018 Ram 2500. Both trucks had issues even after their ‘engineers’ created this special harness for our ‘tricky’ canbus system.

Bottom line nothing will fix it unless you reprogram with alpha OBD.

Op I’m sorry this happened to you. But at the same time I’m not surprised from these companies either. They’re great companies but I think they jumped the gun. You spent a ton of money to get a subpar product.

What bothers me even more is seeing an uneven cutoff line. That right there is laziness in the assembly of the product.

Hope you get your lights fixed

I bought a set of TRS HIDs for my truck and laughed when I saw the wiring involved. I bought a set from DDM for like $40 that has wiring like a normal aftermarket HID kit and I have had no issues

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with the people who say that the lights shouldn't have these canbus issues. They have been working on these lights for a while and you're going to say that they didn't know about this issue? I think they are definitely a cool looking light and they are worth the money IF they function correctly.

Agreed, after this many years they should have it figured out by now. If they didn't, which looks like they don't, don't release a new product.