Morimoto XB LED Headlights INSTALLED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick00less

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
I bought a set of TRS HIDs for my truck and laughed when I saw the wiring involved. I bought a set from DDM for like $40 that has wiring like a normal aftermarket HID kit and I have had no issues

I’m running a amazon HID kit with zero resistors/anti flicker capacitors on my ‘tricky canbus’ 2018 2500 and my kit is bright has hell in my stock projectors. All for only $40. Whatever harness they create will be hit and miss. My 2014 had zero issues with their harness but my 2017/2018 had multiple issues.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seems nothing but problems with all morimoto products. Hid ballasts burn out fast, harnesses cause canbus problems, and now problems with their new headlights. What do you expect for headlights that are made in the Philippines? Probably cost the RFS $100/pair.

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm running Ebay $40 HID's in my projectors since I bought my truck 6 months ago and not a single issue. $40 has the Canbus system figured out, $1,350 does not.

ctdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s an annoyance but it’s not the end of the world considering within a couple days they jumped right on the problem to make a fix.
If you could understand how complex the canbus systems in the rams are you’d be a lot more understanding. They are extremely complicated so I see it more as rams fault than morimotos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But it's not like the CANBUS system changed. They designed these for 4th gen Rams which has been around several years. They could have and certainly SHOULD have checked these lights with all the model years they are purported to support. The fact that there are wires hanging out the back of these lights, the fact that you need to remove them to adjust them and in some cases you need to fuse tap for the DRL's all smack of poor engineering. There's no reason Morimoto couldn't have engineered these to be a direct, bolt on, plug and play system. It's not like the variations in the Ram snuck up on them.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
But it's not like the CANBUS system changed. They designed these for 4th gen Rams which has been around several years. They could have and certainly SHOULD have checked these lights with all the model years they are purported to support. The fact that there are wires hanging out the back of these lights, the fact that you need to remove them to adjust them and in some cases you need to fuse tap for the DRL's all smack of poor engineering. There's no reason Morimoto couldn't have engineered these to be a direct, bolt on, plug and play system. It's not like the variations in the Ram snuck up on them.

Each year something gets tweaked which causes a issue for adding hid/led lights. My 2010 had no problems running cheap ebay leds in the lows and fogs. Had issues running morimoto hid's tho. Kept blowing ballast. My 2015 when I tried adding led fogs would shut down immediately until I added a canbus adapter. Ran diode dynamics hid's with canbus adapter with zero issues. My 2018 have had zero issues so far adding anything led to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WVBiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dislike those super bright lights. I do believe they are about to become illegal in most states. Great for drivers, suks for the folks who view them on the highway. blinds my eyes after dark. Your due for a pocket of marbles if you run those lights.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I dislike those super bright lights. I do believe they are about to become illegal in most states. Great for drivers, suks for the folks who view them on the highway. blinds my eyes after dark. Your due for a pocket of marbles if you run those lights.
You're right, lots of headlights are super bright and blinding nowadays. It's bright like this from the factory .... Many many new cars have bright stock lights, and I doubt that the government will run require all of these new cars to have their lights adjusted

predat-r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I love the looks of these but I am actually a fan of the orange running light that dodge has.. Nothing like a seeing those orange light coming from a distance on a low lit or foggy day
That's what I use to say but let's be real. The lighting Oem has always been an issue I'm just glad to have an option after a few different sets, 3 to be exact. The math is there to upgrade oem it does get pricey. But it's too soon to jump on high horses and scream at each other for no real reason than to be herd. Be patient in time we will all see the outcome. Let the damn review of OP post be just that a review not a debate. It's simply a personal choice, whether it be finance or fear to invest. Granted as Ram enthusiasts we all have hit or missed on diff things. I don't wake up in tha morning thinking that another man's opinion makes my day. Or a product is perfect out tha gate. If that's the case we won't be even having convo seeing OEM is not. So OP keep us informed and aware.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's what I use to say but let's be real. The lighting Oem has always been an issue I'm just glad to have an option after a few different sets, 3 to be exact. The math is there to upgrade oem it does get pricey. But it's too soon to jump on high horses and scream at each other for no real reason than to be herd. Be patient in time we will all see the outcome. Let the damn review of OP post be just that a review not a debate. It's simply a personal choice, whether it be finance or fear to invest. Granted as Ram enthusiasts we all have hit or missed on diff things. I don't wake up in tha morning thinking that another man's opinion makes my day. Or a product is perfect out tha gate. If that's the case we won't be even having convo seeing OEM is not. So OP keep us informed and aware.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Yeah rams factory lighting is a joke. Even their projectors are junk. A retrofit is really the best way to get the best lighting. But since that costs north of 2000 dollars in most cases. 1100 dollars (what I paid) for something that has much better projectors than stock is definitely doable. People are complaining about wires they’ll never see. I can live with wires for better projectors. The aiming issue and bulb out is minor. So I don’t get the tears. Jealousy, lack of income, bias who knows. All I know is that the more people that don’t like them the more rare they will be to see and that makes me happy lol

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
You're right, lots of headlights are super bright and blinding nowadays. It's bright like this from the factory .... Many many new cars have bright stock lights, and I doubt that the government will run require all of these new cars to have their lights adjusted
A big part of the problem is the DOT mandated light pattern. It actually requires glare to illuminate overhead signs. E-code mandates minimal glare and gives very defined cutoff. I've run properly aligned E-code with 130w bulbs without being flashed because all the light is on the road where it belongs.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

nick00less

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Cheap alternative

9b939c1f8ab89a004560886c53d986ab.jpg

nick00less

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
$340 + $40 HID kit from amazon.

Win win and I just saved you $1000 dollars

nick00less

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Cheaper hardly ever means better in the automotive industry.

Expensive doesn’t always mean better either. [emoji6]

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Expensive doesn’t always mean better either. [emoji6]

But Morimoto does. Brand new products have bugs all the time. There still working bugs out of our rams. That’s what recalls are for.

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
340 for the win will get you this... No I didnt pre order the lights I did my own retrofit on my stock projectors for 300 bucks not sure why everyone doesnt...

Screenshot_20190224-225708_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190224-225755_Chrome.jpg

nick00less

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
But Morimoto does. Brand new products have bugs all the time. There still working bugs out of our rams. That’s what recalls are for.

We shall see. Morimoto has some splainin to do. [emoji1303]

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine