Morimoto XB LED Headlights INSTALLED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We shall see. Morimoto has some splainin to do. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They already explained and are sending the fix. One of the reasons I believe in them. I had opt 7 led fogs before and they literally blamed me for their bulbs failing. Bought their lights and the passenger side would flash every time it fired up until it didn’t light anymore. They replaced it then the right side failed altogether later on and they literally said I must have installed it wrong causing it to fail. How do you screw up the install on an LED bulb? You literally turn it into the socket and plug it in lol. They insulted my intelligence that day.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That looks terrible. Damn dude.

$40 amazon 5000k kit in my OEM Mopar projectors

6b9c7ccc1f26455a6f7937df8450771a.jpg

d970bc33b5dfa1c6752b34fbf4430d56.jpg

Well yeah HIDs are always the better brightness option. But not in the reliability department. Also the stock ram projectors aren’t very good. They’re not terrible but not great either. The reliability and getting my auto dim high beams to work right again is why I went with the Morimoto headlights. The only time LED is a good option is if they’re in purpose made projectors or reflectors.

nick00less

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
They already explained and are sending the fix. One of the reasons I believe in them. I had opt 7 led fogs before and they literally blamed me for their bulbs failing. Bought their lights and the passenger side would flash every time it fired up until it didn’t light anymore. They replaced it then the right side failed altogether later on and they literally said I must have installed it wrong causing it to fail. How do you screw up the install on an LED bulb? You literally turn it into the socket and plug it in lol. They insulted my intelligence that day.

Yah that would drive me nuts.

The retro fit source did the same to me. “It’s not our kit, it’s your truck”

Twice they did this. Brand new 2017 and a brand new 2018-their mopar harness didn’t work. Pulse Width Management is the reason behind the glitches. Aka canbus

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yah that would drive me nuts.

The retro fit source did the same to me. “It’s not our kit, it’s your truck”

Twice they did this. Brand new 2017 and a brand new 2018-their mopar harness didn’t work. Pulse Width Management is the reason behind the glitches. Aka canbus

And Morimoto already took full blame for their f up and are making it right. Which is more than can be said for a lot of companies.

nick00less

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Well yeah HIDs are always the better brightness option. But not in the reliability department. Also the stock ram projectors aren’t very good. They’re not terrible but not great either. The reliability and getting my auto dim high beams to work right again is why I went with the Morimoto headlights. The only time LED is a good option is if they’re in purpose made projectors or reflectors.

Oh I agree. I don’t expect these to last forever. I knew that when I bought them. They’ve lasted so far with zero issues since oct 2018.

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Haha my bad.

Love your setup. Crisp even lines. Bright output.

That looks perfect.

Yep and cheaper than those headlights just have to pull apart the factory lights... can be a little crazy but its like my 6th ones I did plus 3rd set of ram lights. That was my old 1500s that were painted to match with led pod for highs.

20180824_180900.jpg

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh I agree. I don’t expect these to last forever. I knew that when I bought them. They’ve lasted so far with zero issues since oct 2018.

Yeah I used to buy eBay and amazing hid kits all the time for my Camry and charger. Probably bought 4 or 5 kits total. My morimoto hid kit lasted over 2 years before I pulled them out for my new xb headlights. Still running strong but now sitting in my basement waiting for me to decide to sell or retrofit my stock housings. If I retrofit I will lose my auto dim feature again and bulbs only last about 4 years.

nick00less

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
And Morimoto already took full blame for their f up and are making it right. Which is more than can be said for a lot of companies.

Couldn’t agree more.

However I’ll still continue to be a skeptic until the fix is proven effective.

Once it’s fixed and everyone who paid $1300 finally gets a functioning setup then I’ll gladly praise Morimoto. For not only issuing a fix but the fix actually working. [emoji41]

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep and cheaper than those headlights just have to pull apart the factory lights... can be a little crazy but its like my 6th ones I did plus 3rd set of ram lights. That was my old 1500s that were painted to match with led pod for highs.

View attachment 156662

Yeah too scared to do that. And costs more than the Morimoto xb headlights to have someone else do it.

nick00less

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
I’m a hopeful skeptic who takes this personal because I don’t like seeing people getting taken advantage of.

However as mentioned, Morimoto is doing the right thing.

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah too scared to do that. And costs more than the Morimoto xb headlights to have someone else do it.

Its not so bad.. I did them in my grill because they were too big to fit in the wall oven lol.. you got the perfect setup can take your time and do it right without being out of headlights. Only turns out bad if you rush it but Ive done a pair in a single day as long as your just doing basic retrofit.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its not so bad.. I did them in my grill because they were too big to fit in the wall oven lol.. you got the perfect setup can take your time and do it right without being out of headlights. Only turns out bad if you rush it but Ive done a pair in a single day as long as your just doing basic retrofit.

If I do it I have to add clear corners and get rid of the chrome shroud. And I’m a perfectionist so if I screwed it up at all I’d want to throw it away. Very frustrating when I see flaws.

Sinistre1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been sitting on the sidelines waiting for this one to shake itself out.. Although I have followed this forum and more specifically, any threads having anything to do with the morimoto XB's, I actually JOINED today, for the sole purpose of expressing an opinion. I could, and likely SHOULD, have continued just reading in anonymity. That said, I don't understand the logic of some of the folks willing to die on the Morimoto sword. I understand even less their need to paint skeptics as people too harsh, critical or broke to consider these lights. Let's look at those arguments. First, I would assume nearly EVERYONE in this forum could afford a honking big ol spensive truck? No??? That said, they are probably not so hard up for cash as some would make them out to be. The argument that people are too cheap or expect too much for their money also makes no sense. Why read, follow, or post? Let's lay THAT baby to sleep. As for Morimoto being the best company since sliced bread because they are willing to "own" their mistake.. only makes them a GOOD company. Seriously, think about it. Should we EXPECT less than that?? NO! Are there worse companies in that regard? Of course. We call those bad companies... and if we are consumers with half a brain, we vote with our wallets. Sell me crap and you will likely NEVER get my business again. Insult me by saying i'm at fault for your crappy product.. same outcome. So we have established that Morimoto is a GOOD company.. with a product that was not quite ready for prime time out of the box.. and they are willing to own it.. and better still, redress the situation. Good company... so far... at best (on this single product issue... I do not otherwise know this company and have no intention of researching and doing a dissertation to support any opinions).

Now on to the demerits.. don't get it twisted. The product was NOT quite ready for prime time! Even with all of the set backs and extensions. Say what you will... this is my opinion. Is it close... i'd say fairly so, but those pushing back at the posters whose opinion was that it was not, really need to take a step back. It wasn't. Period. Ready for prime time is plug, play, and maybe adjust... and be done. Repair, modify, analyze, redress, are all indicators of its "not quite" readiness. This is VERY different from upgrades and updates. This is fundamental to the basic functioning of the product. Please stop acting like they hit this one out of the park! They didn't. That should be reserved for companies, and more importantly products, that live up to that measure.

All of that said, My opinion (obviously) is that they did in fact hit a solid triple... but are now in a run down. Play it out perfectly... they earn their run. Conservatively, but well played... they still have a solid three base hit and that is nothing to sneer at. However, a miscue at this point... Kinda really has the potential for changing the outcome.

I've followed this product from day one and read where... "you get what you pay for"... so yes they are expensive, "We keep holding back the product so that what is delivered to you will be well nigh perfect" and so on, so forth. Well... that's not what happened. Like it or not. It's a very good product in that it does address the need for more light, is more user friendly, and cost effective, than a retrofit... DIY or otherwise. But it needs work. Plain and simple.. and YES, I get it.. that work is coming... But at best it will result in a less streamlined product. Any wires more than what was originally needed to do the job is just that.. more wires than what was needed. And PLEASE, don't tell me if I don't like it I could design one myself. That's childish. Of course I can't. That's why I didn't. But I CAN say whether or not this one is, so far, all that it was cracked up to be. Close.. very close in fact... but not perfect and not about to pretend it is.

Whew... Now i'm still waiting for this to shake out because I like the idea of these lights. I CAN afford them, I LOVE the styling, and I love the apparent output (i've spent three years contemplating how to upgrade the stock crap and these are in fact the first items to even capture my interest) and I can live with the price... thinking it to be fair, for a well thought out AND EXECUTED product. This is, and should be the deciding factor (execution) in whether or not this triple is in fact an in the park home run. The over the fence run ship has sailed.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

ctdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Been sitting on the sidelines waiting for this one to shake itself out.. Although I have followed this forum and more specifically, any threads having anything to do with the morimoto XB's, I actually JOINED today, for the sole purpose of expressing an opinion. I could, and likely SHOULD, have continued just reading in anonymity. That said, I don't understand the logic of some of the folks willing to die on the Morimoto sword. I understand even less their need to paint skeptics as people too harsh, critical or broke to consider these lights. Let's look at those arguments. First, I would assume nearly EVERYONE in this forum could afford a honking big ol spensive truck? No??? That said, they are probably not so hard up for cash as some would make them out to be. The argument that people are too cheap or expect too much for their money also makes no sense. Why read, follow, or post? Let's lay THAT baby to sleep. As for Morimoto being the best company since sliced bread because they are willing to "own" their mistake.. only makes them a GOOD company. Seriously, think about it. Should we EXPECT less than that?? NO! Are there worse companies in that regard? Of course. We call those bad companies... and if we are consumers with half a brain, we vote with our wallets. Sell me crap and you will likely NEVER get my business again. Insult me by saying i'm at fault for your crappy product.. same outcome. So we have established that Morimoto is a GOOD company.. with a product that was not quite ready for prime time out of the box.. and they are willing to own it.. and better still, redress the situation. Good company... so far... at best (on this single product issue... I do not otherwise know this company and have no intention of researching and doing a dissertation to support any opinions).

Now on to the demerits.. don't get it twisted. The product was NOT quite ready for prime time! Even with all of the set backs and extensions. Say what you will... this is my opinion. Is it close... i'd say fairly so, but those pushing back at the posters whose opinion was that it was not, really need to take a step back. It wasn't. Period. Ready for prime time is plug, play, and maybe adjust... and be done. Repair, modify, analyze, redress, are all indicators of its "not quite" readiness. This is VERY different from upgrades and updates. This is fundamental to the basic functioning of the product. Please stop acting like they hit this one out of the park! They didn't. That should be reserved for companies, and more importantly products, that live up to that measure.

All of that said, My opinion (obviously) is that they did in fact hit a solid triple... but are now in a run down. Play it out perfectly... they earn their run. Conservatively, but well played... they still have a solid three base hit and that is nothing to sneer at. However, a miscue at this point... Kinda really has the potential for changing the outcome.

I've followed this product from day one and read where... "you get what you pay for"... so yes they are expensive, "We keep holding back the product so that what is delivered to you will be well nigh perfect" and so on, so forth. Well... that's not what happened. Like it or not. It's a very good product in that it does address the need for more light, is more user friendly, and cost effective, than a retrofit... DIY or otherwise. But it needs work. Plain and simple.. and YES, I get it.. that work is coming... But at best it will result in a less streamlined product. Any wires more than what was originally needed to do the job is just that.. more wires than what was needed. And PLEASE, don't tell me if I don't like it I could design one myself. That's childish. Of course I can't. That's why I didn't. But I CAN say whether or not this one is, so far, all that it was cracked up to be. Close.. very close in fact... but not perfect and not about to pretend it is.

Whew... Now i'm still waiting for this to shake out because I like the idea of these lights. I CAN afford them, I LOVE the styling, and I love the apparent output (i've spent three years contemplating how to upgrade the stock crap and these are in fact the first items to even capture my interest) and I can live with the price... thinking it to be fair, for a well thought out AND EXECUTED product. This is, and should be the deciding factor (execution) in whether or not this triple is in fact an in the park home run. The over the fence run ship has sailed.

Just my opinion.

I agree 100%!! These lights appear to be an excellent product - but not quite perfect. And I don't buy all the excuses about how complicated our CANBUS system is. The numerous CANBUS iterations were there first and Morimoto designed around it - not the other way around. They could have and should have tested on every model year these lights are supposed to fit. Clearly they didn't! That being said, I too am interested in these lights and will wait until the fix comes out and we see how well everything works for the longer term.

OP
OP
Arth

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Figured I would update this thread.

I had to make a run to Tennessee so about 12 hours of driving with the headlights on, yes it rained almost my entire visit and they performed without issue.

After talking with JJ about the adjustment stuff yes I was able to adjust the up/down of the headlight from the top without removing it. It took some convincing along with a video tutorial for me to understand but eventually I came around. As far as the left/right adjustment I have a 1500 so my clearance is a little tighter... can't get my head in the wheel well to see the adjustment but it isn't a straight shot. I don't feel the need to mess around with it at the moment but that one is still being worked out.

As far as everyone's opinion and feedback about our posts of these headlights, thank you. That's why I posted this up to give the facts and let everyone else talk about it.

As far as my stance on everything I'm done. People can stop pointing out the what Morimoto should have done or could have done it's over. We've beaten that horse to death I think. For those who are true Morimoto fans and will defend every comment or critique it's time to let it go as well. The information is out there for the 50 headlights that have been delivered now it's time to wait until we get more headlights into our hands and monitor their performance.

I've got the product I wanted and once the harness arrives that will address the minor issues that have been brought up that'll be that. With a 5 year warranty, as long as they continue to perform, I'll remain happy with my purchase. Did manage to snag a quick picture while I was there.

full

Last edited:

Sinistre1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That looks good Arth!. I'm hoping someone gets to post pics with a black Ram:) I'm Not photo shop savvy. I will say this again tho.... Definitely some sexy looking headlights... If ever such a thing existed. Lol :) Btw, just curious... did you trade out your wheels? The grill/ bumper says sport but the wheels say something else. I like the styling on them.

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's cool that Morimoto and whatever company the lights are bought from are doing the right thing, but exactly what else are they going to do, tell everyone to screw off? They don't really have a choice in the matter if they want to stay in business, so doing the right thing doesn't mean very much is some instances.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's cool that Morimoto and whatever company the lights are bought from are doing the right thing, but exactly what else are they going to do, tell everyone to screw off? They don't really have a choice in the matter if they want to stay in business, so doing the right thing doesn't mean very much is some instances.

Well for one they can just go the cheap route and recommend everyone order resistors to wire in. Or give everyone resistors for free. Instead they giving everyone a purpose made harness that is PnP