Morimoto xb tails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ok so I have been having a continuous issue with the passenger backup light not working intermittent.
My truck came from the factory with non LED tails so everything is working aside from the passenger backup bulb. The bulb will turn on but then it will go off then on again, off until it stops turning on and I get a backup light message.

Here is some info for you guys that are smarter with electricity.

I connected a non led bulb to my backup light and when I put the truck in reverse I read 11.45 volts across the bulb.

Now when I connect the morimotto tails and I put the truck in reverse I read 13.45 volts across the wires and when the light goes off 0 volts then back to 13.45 volts again when the light goes on.

I wired an incandescent bulb in parallel with the Moriarty tails and the voltage does not change. I am not sure if this helps, but this issue is annoying.
I will be calling Moriarty tech support this week for assistance

C Mellon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had issues with similar lights...
You need resistors...otherwise the computer doesnt read them properly.
I put in resistors that they sent me...everything works now.
I ordered the new inifinity squares from Morimoto and hopefully no issues with these... The old ones were a definite learning experience.
I didnt know anything about computers or resistors and now I do... Love the LEDs...
I was going to get the headlights but I found a different set I liked better.

Hudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So a bit of an update here folks if anyone is still interested.
Last week I visited the folks at TRS.
Showed the guys at the shop the issue, and they agreed it was a problem. On the spot they installed a capacitor in the passenger taillight and its been a week since the visit and both backup lights are working perfectly.
When I was at TRS they had an factory LED truck in there as well and they were testing the the same capacitor fix on that truck.
They were very thankful that I was willing to drive to their shop to show them the issue. They said they seen this issue on LED truck but not on non LED truck
I told them that they can have my truck anytime they want for R&D purposes like headlights and taillights as long as they leave the R&D samples in my truck

So for me the issue is fixed. I hope I helped TRS develop a fix for anyone else that has this issue

Mike Barone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
So a bit of an update here folks if anyone is still interested.
Last week I visited the folks at TRS.
Showed the guys at the shop the issue, and they agreed it was a problem. On the spot they installed a capacitor in the passenger taillight and its been a week since the visit and both backup lights are working perfectly.
When I was at TRS they had an factory LED truck in there as well and they were testing the the same capacitor fix on that truck.
They were very thankful that I was willing to drive to their shop to show them the issue. They said they seen this issue on LED truck but not on non LED truck
I told them that they can have my truck anytime they want for R&D purposes like headlights and taillights as long as they leave the R&D samples in my truck

So for me the issue is fixed. I hope I helped TRS develop a fix for anyone else that has this issue

@Hudson Did TRS indicate whether or not they would make these capacitors available for sale on their website? I am having the same issues as everyone else with my truck that had factory LED tails. If I can buy a simple wire harness to take care of it, I will gladly do so.

01Foreman400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And I just ordered a set from TRS. Hope they have worked out some of the issues. Good thing for me is I work a couple of miles from them. Guess if I have any issues I’ll be rolling up in there. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01Foreman400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hack with it! Just cancelled my ordered. I’ll stick with the factory tails and buy brighter backup bulbs.

Last edited:

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got mine three weeks ago. No issues to report. Been flawless.

torinreality

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Rebel
Engine
Supercharged 6.4
So I finally got my taillights working. I had to wire them up according to the 2500/3500 outfitting wiring diagram with a single pole single throw relay. Problem was that color codes were off on the fault circuit, reverse, and parking circuits. I had to individually find what circuit went with what color wire. It took forever with having to clear out the body control computer after every fault status. Last issue I have is the right reverse light being out which I still need to troubleshoot.

I have the OEM LED problem, and I like the idea of solving with a relay. MXBrad04, can you give a bit more information on what your harness looked like? It seems the running lights are the only lights that don't work; did you power just one wire with the relay, then?

Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is super old but worth a shot recently just broke these taillights lol do you know what brand they are? I bought then used on here. Was looking at the ones the thread is about now no chance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

VIP motoz look up c shaped led tail lights. I still love em.! Sorry for the late response!!!! I rarely get on here anymore. Life is too busy lol

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
So they finally arrived ! 4 months later . I ordered Jan 29 and they came 4/28! Hooked up and they looked like this ... however once I started the truck to check the reverse lights , I found out the reverse lights didn’t work and the passenger side light stopped working as a tail light and reverse light ..drivers side functions as it should . Both turn signals work as well as brake light. Needless to say I’m a bit irritated but almost expected something to go wrong as the whole wait time was a hassle why wouldn’t the install be as well.....probably will be going thru a bunch. Of hassle to get this rectified . Sent retrofit source a Facebook message as they aren’t open on weekend I probably will have to fall Monday. Please reply with your experience if you have one regarding these. tails . 77054457bcef7c131e3c3998b72142c0.jpg3037c361315564412affdae8bdb1141c.jpg23066672101d25429327babc1b5be87b.jpgad8ce30951b0a196785b3ddf8cd06e62.jpg

I can’t help with the lights but love the Flag in back window hope you get them working, they do look great

Ryan kelley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone still no know how to make these work on tails w: factory leds? I’ve had mine sitting in the shed for it seems like years now waiting for a fix.

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone still no know how to make these work on tails w: factory leds? I’ve had mine sitting in the shed for it seems like years now waiting for a fix.

I thought they were specifically not for trucks with stock LED? Unless there’s some work-around.

Ryan kelley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought these when they very first came out and they said nothing of only compatible with non factory led tails. I’m just going to have to sell them. They even modeled the tail lights on a ram sport model. Same truck I have.

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought these when they very first came out and they said nothing of only compatible with non factory led tails. I’m just going to have to sell them. They even modeled the tail lights on a ram sport model. Same truck I have.

Yeah, if you look now. I think they snuck in the: “only for trucks equipped with non-led lights” or something.

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Found it:

Adjustments.jpg

Kind of a lot of conditions....

Mine just started throwing an error code on the reverse lights, which, DO work.

Ryan kelley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ya they didn’t have that when it first came out. I’m going to be looking into the possibility of making these work with factory leds. If not I’m selling them.

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ya they didn’t have that when it first came out. I’m going to be looking into the possibility of making these work with factory leds. If not I’m selling them.

Have the blacks or reds?

Goose_1327

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I’d gladly take em off your hands if they are the black variant

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’d gladly take em off your hands if they are the black variant

I would be willing to maybe sell you my blacks if I can find a red set.

Smitty75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Before I say the heck with it and return these, has anyone found a fix for these with the reverse lights and running lights not working? I have a 2016 express with factory halogen tail lights. I reached out to the company I purchased them through and they said they were going to send me a new harness. Well I got a package from retrofit source (not the company I purchased through) and it was 2 new black boxes that are on the back of the tail lights that have the white wire connected to it. I installed them and still have the same problem. Any ideas on how to get these to work would be appreciated.