Most bang for buck out of 4.7?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaveyGMagnum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum v8
So I just got a new to me 2002 1500 4.7 (formerly owned 96 and 99 5.9 magnum trucks) and I’m looking for what mods can get me the most useful power (mainly torque down low if possible) truck currently has a K+N filter in the stock box, and ~130k miles, everything else hardware looks bone stock. Here’s my mod wish list, in what I think should be order of completion, feel free to tell me what to change.
1. SCT 3200 programmer and tuning license
2. Electric fan conversion
3. used and polished HO cams
4. Stainless steel headers (wish I could find some long tubes for the tq bump, but having a hard time finding anything except shorties, so I might build my own (have a waterjet machine at my disposal and I’m pretty experienced in tig welding) unless someone has very good firsthand experience with the JBA or Gibson SS bolt on units.
5. Aftermarket Y pipe and high flow cat, or true dual pipes (and cats)
6. Electric exhaust cut out, with pressure switch on WOT, to bypass quiet exhaust (I like quiet most of the time but if I put my foot all the way in it, I wanna hear it sing…)

Pros and cons of this plan? I’m up in VT, right on the Canada border so I’m thinking my homebrew E-fan idea won’t harm a thing… thinking I’ll swap to a 190 T-stat too if I can find one, with the fans kicking on at 200*F, which will give me a 10* window (since it’s cold af here in winter) to run the heater solo.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just be aware the 4.7 doesn’t survive over heating. No room for error with the Egan in the summer.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do you actually have the HO cams? If so, good compliment used to be the HO intake manifold but they're hard to find these days (just like the cams). Just as good or better (and what Air Ram sells currently as an upgrade) is the 2008+ intake. Just needs the TB adapter since the 08+ is fly-by-wire. 4.7's also like gears, like 4.56's. Another mod that'll will help offset highway mileage loss with those gears (or just better mileage all around) is the TCM mod; you have a 45RFE which means 3 (4 if you count 2P but for this purpose we aren't) fwd gears plus overdrive. The 545 TCM (same trans, different programming) enables the 5th gear (2nd OD).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio