motor sometimes dies when coming to a stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jerryt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 04 1500 with the 5.7 hemi will some times die as I am coming to a stop. I can start it back up and it seems fine for a while. I cleaned the throttle body, but it still does the same thing. How do I fix this?
Thanks, Jerry

cliftonclendenen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
My 04 1500 with the 5.7 hemi will some times die as I am coming to a stop. I can start it back up and it seems fine for a while. I cleaned the throttle body, but it still does the same thing. How do I fix this?
Thanks, Jerry

I had this happen to me once going down my driveway. 06 4.7 4x4. Seems to be a one time only deal for me. How many times has this happened to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
It can be a few things:

Try Gumout Regane fuel system cleaner

Problem with ignition, plugs etc

Does your truck have a mass air flow sensor, Throttle Position Sensors?

need new air filter?

OP
OP
J

jerryt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Air filter is good. PO gave me a set of spark plugs with the truck. He thinks the ones in the truck have about 90k on them. My son is going to install them in 2 weeks. I could do it but since he volunteered I'll let him do it. At 75 years old I'm not as limber as I used to be. I'll give it a drink of fuel system cleaner too.
Thanks

Luis tucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It may be the fuel pump giving you a warning it's about to give out on you .my Mopar unit just up an died on me so I replaced it with a cheaper eBay one that was half the cost but only had a year warranty here I am a year later had misfire codes an stalling, hard start even when warm replaced everything in the spark and air area just to find out it was the check valve giving out on my crummy eBay fuel pump still functions but after adding an inline check valve one way i haven't had the problem since haven't stalled an no more misfire !

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
Not sure if the 5.7 have a pcv or egr valve. Motor cannot idle if they are clogged. If it stays running with throttle input then most likely it's clogged. I would start here and move down the list. This is the cheapest fix.