Motor Trend's Truck of the Year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was up in the air with the redesign. After looking at pics and seeing some great post, I really love it.

Unfortunately, it's something I have to wait for 2-3 years. I love my dodge charger scat pack, so I'm not trading it in..lol

Former owner of a 2012 Ram 1500...and future owner of a Ram 1500

basegroup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And the comments were that Cadillac could learn a thing or two from the new ram. And I totally agree. Fit and finish is way better then any America auto I’ve ever seen.

Rae Curb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We have owned silveradoes since 1999, fords before that. Also owned a Cad SRX old body style which got me hooked on that panoramic sunroof. Never owned a Ram, never even looked at one through the years. Ford is too boxy for my style, the raptor with a V6 is not something i would ever buy and silverado is old and tired with not much changes since '07 IMO (just gave the grandson the '07 with the 6.0 and 120,000 miles for his 17th birthday). There was nothing that I wanted to spend my money on but wanted/needed a new truck while I could still enjoy it.

The 2019 Ram caught my eye a few months ago, then the test drive and I was sold.

Crazy4info

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I switched to ram in 14 with a big horn. Really liked the truck. Felt I got more for my money. Then, along comes the 19’s. Was in for an oil change, and test drove a new one. That was it. Again, I felt best value out of them all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I have a bro in law who is a diehard GMC guy and he loves my new Ram.
A cousin who has 2 F150s an F250 and an F350 really likes it too!
Funny, the only people that I've heard that don't like the new truck is Ram owners.

BOB RAM 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 4X4 CREW
Engine
HEMI 6.4 with 456
I have been a chevy fan for over 40 years but I must say I surely do like my 2018 Ram .... Just wish the dealership would do a better job !!!!!

CMV157

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
RAM won as I feel they should have! Right now here is my (abbreviated) pros/cons of the big 3. RAM has innovated in the areas of suspension and interior. They also look pretty sharp. Where I feel they lack is the 5.7 HEMI. I know it's been improved upon, but that engine is dated. The new GM trucks (Silverado for sure) look really good! But the interior is light years behind RAM, and did I mention the HEMI above? Well the 5.3 is a good motor too but not against the other engines in the segment. The 6.2 is better for sure, but it's hard to come by. The Ford has innovated with aluminum and they definitely have the best engines with the 3.5 2.7 and 5.0. They hit every mark with those suckers. But the trucks are ugly boxes IMO. It's time for RAM to innovate in the engine dept and they would separate even further.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Problem with all these selections is that the authors of the article never take reliability into consideration. The Jeep Grand Cherokee is great on paper and drives nicely but it is the least reliable SUV you can buy in the USA.

At the top of my list is vehicle reliability followed by good warranty support by the manufacturer and the dealer. The rest are all nice to have's and become quite insignificant when you truck is sitting at the dealers for weeks awaiting a replacement part.

CMV157

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Problem with all these selections is that the authors of the article never take reliability into consideration. The Jeep Grand Cherokee is great on paper and drives nicely but it is the least reliable SUV you can buy in the USA.

At the top of my list is vehicle reliability followed by good warranty support by the manufacturer and the dealer. The rest are all nice to have's and become quite insignificant when you truck is sitting at the dealers for weeks awaiting a replacement part.
True. I've owned Chevy's my whole life and have found them to be very customer friendly personally. I've heard horror stories about RAM but I must say I'm on my 3rd one in over a decade and haven't had a single warranty issue out of any of them.

Old Cop 66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
70K on a ‘14 2500, not a serious problem yet, good ole’ truck..

Theo2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Idk man, I'd take my chances with a Jeep GC over a Land Rover. Pretty sure Rovers are the least reliable brand you can buy globally and IMO the lease/buy ratio for those things is telling.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
RAM won as I feel they should have! Right now here is my (abbreviated) pros/cons of the big 3. RAM has innovated in the areas of suspension and interior. They also look pretty sharp. Where I feel they lack is the 5.7 HEMI. I know it's been improved upon, but that engine is dated. The new GM trucks (Silverado for sure) look really good! But the interior is light years behind RAM, and did I mention the HEMI above? Well the 5.3 is a good motor too but not against the other engines in the segment. The 6.2 is better for sure, but it's hard to come by. The Ford has innovated with aluminum and they definitely have the best engines with the 3.5 2.7 and 5.0. They hit every mark with those suckers. But the trucks are ugly boxes IMO. It's time for RAM to innovate in the engine dept and they would separate even further.
Well said and I agree. But RAM has one other issue that they MUST face and address. Holding their parts suppliers accountable for quality.

CMV157

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well said and I agree. But RAM has one other issue that they MUST face and address. Holding their parts suppliers accountable for quality.
Agreed. And it sounds like they need to start with lifters! :) Just hoping I never have that issue.