Move Jump seat data port to lower dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bradm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
I have a 2017 3500 Laramie with the 40/20/40 jump seat front row. I recently swapped out the factory nav 8.4 unit for a 2018 to gain Android Auto and CarPlay functionality. I hate having the media hub inside the jump seat because it gets flipped up a lot when our dog is riding with us in the front seat. That makes connecting a phone a pain. I have the Jeep Compass media hub, so instead of installing it in the jump seat bin, i decided to mount it in the lower dash and move the data port there too. Here's a pic of it all put together:
IMG-0114.jpg

If you're not using the aux-in jack, you only need to supply 12v power to the media hub and then connect it to the back of the head unit with a USB Mini male to male cable. I had an old one on hand from a radio swap in my old Jeep JK. Other than the locking tab, i don't believe there is anything special about this cable other than it being odd and hard to source. I punched two small holes in the back of the drawer enclosure and used a zip tie to lock the Compass media hub in place. I then cut the factory wiring for the original lighter socket that was on the driver side of the drawer. I spliced in wire to extend its reach over to the passenger side of the drawer as well as a pigtail to provide 12 volts to the media hub. That factory lighter socket fits on either side:
20221027_203238.jpg

Then I ordered on of these USB plugs from Amazon and installed it in the hole on the driver side of the drawer. I used some hot glue around the locking ring to make sure it didn't vibrate lose over time.

20221027_203311.jpg

20221027_203249.jpg

20221102_124037.jpg

20221102_124046.jpg

I love this new setup. It is so much nicer to use. The modified phone holder at the top of the dash (I've forgotten the brand right now) means i don't have to stick the phone in one of the cup holders or find somewhere else to put it when the jump seat is folded up.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Nice mod!!
Another option for the UAQ/UAS AndroidAuto is to use a wireless adapter for the USB. I have the AAWireless module, there other manufacturers even ones that will work for CarPlay.
Although with any of the wireless modules you'll want to mod the USB power to turn off with the truck or risk them killing the battery due to waking the radio.

Athlium

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
so.. I was thinking about doing similar by moving the media hub to the 115v spot since I don't have that option in my tradesman.

can you show more photos of the cables and how you routed in the drawer?

OP
OP
B

Bradm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
so.. I was thinking about doing similar by moving the media hub to the 115v spot since I don't have that option in my tradesman.

can you show more photos of the cables and how you routed in the drawer?

I got it all installed and working great. I forgot to get pictures of the wiring just before I closed it all up. I'll try to find time to open it back up and get better pics. I'll update the original post once I do.