Move steering wheel audio controls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, Left side center -presets, up/down- search. Right center- am/fm, up/down-volume. I would like to move volume to the left side and move search to the right side. Looking to see if anyone has done this. Thank-you, Nick

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Haven’t done it. Looking at the buttons, physically look to be identical. So either swap the buttons side to side, or swap wires side to side. Don’t know if the connectors can be swapped over, but the buttons should be.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I don't believe the harness will allow for this without disassembling the radio and physically changing the harness plugs to reverse their current position.

You can however pop the buttons out themselves relatively easy without disassembling. I did this to flip the seek buttons.

The harness is very delicate do be careful either way.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Nick14

Nick14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was hoping each switch was independent. It appears I won't be able to split the pairs from the steering wheel. Nick

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I was hoping each switch was independent. It appears I won't be able to split the pairs from the steering wheel. Nick
See if you can find the steering wheel buttons kit. You may get a decent picture of the harness uninstalled. I'm not sure if the buttons are swappable side to side or if the are left right specific.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Nick14

Nick14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Found some pictures of the switches. Looks like each button has a resistor. Might have a way to do this. Nick

rixter99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 SRW
Engine
Cummins i6.7
If you unwrap the harness (very carefully), you may be able to 'switch' the wiring/connectors (from l -> r and r -> l), then switch the actual switches on the back of the bezel also...I read where 'someone' ordered the kit from 'somewhere' and thanked the person for swapping everything around like you are wanting to do...

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The switches are different probably so the radio can ID them so you would have to switch them for sure. It's not impossible that if you swapped the switches and did a reset that would be that, but unlikely. I put a left switch in the right once to replace my volume switch that failed. It didn't work and I had to buy the switch for the right. Apart from part number they looked identical.

OP
OP
Nick14

Nick14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am going to pull it apart next weekend. Two wires each side, red/black, red/brown. The pictures weren't clear enough to see the color bands, but once apart I can measure them and go from there. Nick

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
The switches are actually a Multiplexed LiN Bus (Local Information Bus).

ie both switches feed into a primary switch assy (rt front switch assy) which codes it as a message out on the bus... It's not a simple as moving wires around. You have 2 options...

1) physically swap the switch assemblies with each other (their keyed to each side, so they'd need modified to fit) and then move/extend the wiring and connectors to follow the switch assy.

2) get an aftermarket CANbus Interface module that plugs in between the radio and it's harness (usually to add extra cameras etc) that supports changing/flipping the messages from each switch assy to the radio. Look at PAC, Crux, Nav-tv, Lockpick, CustomTronix, etc.

M² Mods.
(via Tapatalk App)

Info from 2014 diagrams....0f39ae5fca7c776377ee6b65906edd2e.jpg1000344db682c6ae448fd46298feac3e.jpg

Last edited: