Moving and getting a garage :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
But I have a question.

Here’s the setup:
30x35 footprint
12 to 14ft ceilings

It’s heated/cooled and attached to the house. It’s pretty much the perfect garage for me.

I’m planning on installing a nice 2-post lift as well.

But even with the abundant space inside I want to keep the majority of the floor nice and open.

What kind of shelving do you guys use to store the non-car related things you’ve accumulated?

Just looking for storage methods/options here and I wanna see what you guys have!

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Two post lifts require a certain amount of concrete thickness and strength, make sure your garage pad meets those requirements before you buy one.

I built my garage and added a shelf down the entire one side of my garage for junk. I believe it is 3 1/2 feet down from the ceiling and about 4 foot deep. I added 4x4 posts in the ceiling joists to hang all thread from for the leading edge (I didn't want support posts) and then it is screwed to the wall studs back and sides. I also have a few heavy duty garage shelves on the floor for stuff I need to get to easily. Sorry I don't have any pictures at work.

OP
OP
rwhjr

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Two post lifts require a certain amount of concrete thickness and strength, make sure your garage pad meets those requirements before you buy one.

I built my garage and added a shelf down the entire one side of my garage for junk. I believe it is 3 1/2 feet down from the ceiling and about 4 foot deep. I added 4x4 posts in the ceiling joists to hang all thread from for the leading edge (I didn't want support posts) and then it is screwed to the wall studs back and sides. I also have a few heavy duty garage shelves on the floor for stuff I need to get to easily. Sorry I don't have any pictures at work.
Will have to look into slab thickness and what’s needed thanks for a heads up.

If it is good enough then I’ll be a happy camper. If not then what another recommended option to get a full-size truck up high enough to get under?

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My brother has a four post lift in his garage that works well.

It spreads out the load more than a two post so it requires less from your concrete pad.

OP
OP
rwhjr

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My brother has a four post lift in his garage that works well.

It spreads out the load more than a two post so it requires less from your concrete pad.
Yeah they just stink for the fact that you can’t use it to get the car up and unload the suspension, right?

So if I wanted to be able to get the wheels off and change out my front struts....won’t happen on a 4-post?

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes you can. My brothers has center trays that move around that allow you jack the car up from underneath.

You have to put the car in the air first then go under and set the tray jacks but it is pretty easy.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just get a four post with bridge jacks and you will be able to take the wheels off. The 4 post will be in the way still for some jobs but, for 90% of the things you will want a lift for, it will be great. Especially for periodic maintenance. Just drive up and lift the truck. No messing with pads and spacers, and shake testing the truck like you have to do with a 2 post.

Another nice thing with a four post is that if you have the garage space, you can store a car or quads or really anything and park a car under it.

If you have 12 foot ceilings that is going to be a tight fit working under the truck though. My truck is 7ft tall and I just have bils @2.8 and 35s.

I am excited to see how you set yours up. I am in the same boat right now, trying to decide if I want a four post or a two post for my shop. FYI you can cut a piece of concrete out and have a section poured thicker to accommodate a 2 post. I had this done at my last house so I could lag my j-head bridgeport mill down.

Last edited:

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^^I did not know you could that with your pad to accommodate a two post lift. Makes sense though.

I ended up having about a quarter of my garage floor cut out and re-poured. Interesting thing though, it was cheaper to buy a whole cement truck load than to get a truck with a lighter load. So I split the cost with my neighbor and we poured him a concrete pad for a large shed with the left over from mine.

I guess this is a pretty common practice when it comes to really heavy metal working equipment.

Looking at the specs on Bendpak lifts, a lot of two posts only require a 4in slab. Some other brands don't even require special concrete and support 9k pounds. So if you choose the right lift, you might be good to go without having to worry about the floor at all.

OP
OP
rwhjr

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah so the more thought I put into it I’d really prefer a 2 post because it’s much less restrictive (and blocks a lot less of my possible work areas on the truck).

Looks like most lifts (Bendpak for ex) are requiring 4” slab thickness and aren’t most residential garage slabs at least 4”?

I guess I’ll have to wait until we move in and figure out a way to check because a 4 post and having to buy/use bridge jacks (which get in the way) seems like it would have to be my last resort if I absolutely can’t run a 2 post.

What’s the best way to check slab thickness?

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
The shelving has 2 funtions in our garage. First is the obvious to hold stuff, the other is to brace the 28' wall from the usual 00+mph winds we get in the winter. 2x6 frame and main supports then 2x4 like a stud wall. Then 3/8 OSB. All but 1 2x6 was left over from the garage build (also got a 12' workbench on a another wall too)

View media item 28032
Everything was great when we had the 2 Jeeps, but to get the truck in during heavy snow and hail threats, I had to loose a shelf and the storage space below it.
View media item 28033