Moving out to Cali!J

Discussion in 'Regional' started by Steamboat87, May 4, 2015.

1. Steamboat87

Steamboat87 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Got a job offer in Riverside, CA. Moving from Indiana. Question is are there any crazy rules for lifted trucks I should think about? I have a 4.5" lift with a hemi. nothing crazy. I understand the emissions stuff and mud flaps are mandatory. Just curious 'cause I know Cali has strict rules for vehicles.

Anyone live in Riverside? Good? Bad?

Austin

2. CC12RamLove

CC12RamLove Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Welcome to the Best Coast!

I'm sure others can provide better input but I do know they will pick and choose what they will nail you for. Sounds like you know the basics. The easy is mud flaps and head light aim. Tuners and illegal intakes will get caught during smog checks.

3. CMil527

CMil527 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015 Ram Express 1500 CC 4x4 - Black Edition
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Mud flaps are mandatory? Geez I couldn't take the job!

Steamboat87 likes this.
  4. drittal

drittal Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Mud flaps are just common courtesy.

5. CC12RamLove

CC12RamLove Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I believe there is a law for CA based on amount of tread out side if the fender and rocker panel above the axle line. Not 100% on that.

6. Ratket

Ratket Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2018 1500
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    do urself a favor and find a relative and register that thing out of state. riverside is la county. the cops have way more important things to do then mess with you. The smog is what's a bitch.. if u are complaint" have ur cats then u should be fine. I live in a county" only a few left in Cali" where I only have to smog when I buy or sell. On the plus side you will be with in 1 hour of all kinds of speed/ performance shops and a ton of ram dealers. In so cal everyone drives like a asshole, and the traffic is awful. Make sure u lock your stuff at night. Not sure how the traffic is where u are from.. but it is gonna be a eye opener. The tuner should be fine, had a Diablo on my 02 Chevy I sold and it passed smog fine. Window tint would normally be a big issue but in so cal, you will be fine. it's when you get into remote areas where they have nothing to do that u get hassled. Welcome to Cali!!!!

Fitz87gn likes this.
  7. Fubar65

Fubar65 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015 Ram Express
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Riverside is in Riverside County. I live in San Bernardino County which is the county North of Riverside. Lots of gangs in both counties that keep LEO busy so don't worry too much about mud flaps. I see a lot more lifted trucks without mud flaps than with. If you do get stopped for no mud flaps it'll be by CHP. Welcome to cali, if you have any other questions about different areas or where to live just hit me up.

8. Unit_91

Unit_91 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7

Cali's not as bad as people make it out to be, you might get a fix it ticket for flaps, but most cops will let it slide as long as you don't have half or more of the tire sticking out. But keep in mind if you get pulled over for anything they can always hit you with the flap ticket as well. I guess just mind your p's and Q's when talking to them lol.

9. DavidRam

DavidRam Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2012 RCSB
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    You don't need to worry about the lift... and I see few lifted guys with mud flaps, most go without. The only thing that will get you pulled over for a lot is a dark tint on the front windows. At least this goes for the LA area.

10. Ratket

Ratket Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2018 1500
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Cali isn't that bad, LOL we are the state of 50k epa fines for fully deleted diesels.. now granit this all depends on where you live. I'n the city u are more likely to get away with stuff. In my neck of the woods you get tint tickets left and right. Also noise pollution tickets are high up on that list. I thought river side county fell under la county- my bad. All in all you are more likely to find ur truck broke into than get hassled by law inforcment in so cal.