Moving out to Cali!J

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steamboat87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got a job offer in Riverside, CA. Moving from Indiana. Question is are there any crazy rules for lifted trucks I should think about? I have a 4.5" lift with a hemi. nothing crazy. I understand the emissions stuff and mud flaps are mandatory. Just curious 'cause I know Cali has strict rules for vehicles.

Anyone live in Riverside? Good? Bad?

Austin

CC12RamLove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the Best Coast!

I'm sure others can provide better input but I do know they will pick and choose what they will nail you for. Sounds like you know the basics. The easy is mud flaps and head light aim. Tuners and illegal intakes will get caught during smog checks.

CC12RamLove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I believe there is a law for CA based on amount of tread out side if the fender and rocker panel above the axle line. Not 100% on that.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
do urself a favor and find a relative and register that thing out of state. riverside is la county. the cops have way more important things to do then mess with you. The smog is what's a *****.. if u are complaint" have ur cats then u should be fine. I live in a county" only a few left in Cali" where I only have to smog when I buy or sell. On the plus side you will be with in 1 hour of all kinds of speed/ performance shops and a ton of ram dealers. In so cal everyone drives like a *******, and the traffic is awful. Make sure u lock your stuff at night. Not sure how the traffic is where u are from.. but it is gonna be a eye opener. The tuner should be fine, had a Diablo on my 02 Chevy I sold and it passed smog fine. Window tint would normally be a big issue but in so cal, you will be fine. it's when you get into remote areas where they have nothing to do that u get hassled. Welcome to Cali!!!!

Fubar65

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Riverside is in Riverside County. I live in San Bernardino County which is the county North of Riverside. Lots of gangs in both counties that keep LEO busy so don't worry too much about mud flaps. I see a lot more lifted trucks without mud flaps than with. If you do get stopped for no mud flaps it'll be by CHP. Welcome to cali, if you have any other questions about different areas or where to live just hit me up.

Unit_91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got a job offer in Riverside, CA. Moving from Indiana. Question is are there any crazy rules for lifted trucks I should think about? I have a 4.5" lift with a hemi. nothing crazy. I understand the emissions stuff and mud flaps are mandatory. Just curious 'cause I know Cali has strict rules for vehicles.

Austin

Cali's not as bad as people make it out to be, you might get a fix it ticket for flaps, but most cops will let it slide as long as you don't have half or more of the tire sticking out. But keep in mind if you get pulled over for anything they can always hit you with the flap ticket as well. I guess just mind your p's and Q's when talking to them lol.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You don't need to worry about the lift... and I see few lifted guys with mud flaps, most go without. The only thing that will get you pulled over for a lot is a dark tint on the front windows. At least this goes for the LA area.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cali isn't that bad, LOL we are the state of 50k epa fines for fully deleted diesels.. now granit this all depends on where you live. I'n the city u are more likely to get away with stuff. In my neck of the woods you get tint tickets left and right. Also noise pollution tickets are high up on that list. I thought river side county fell under la county- my bad. All in all you are more likely to find ur truck broke into than get hassled by law inforcment in so cal.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine

Austin

I have live my whole life in Socal with the exception of three years in college in Stillwater, OK. I live in Orange County. The OC is a beautiful place although it too is becoming more a more unbearable place to live. If I had to live in any other place in the state other than OC, well, I wouldn't. I am the type of guy who like wide open places, the mountains, the woods, hunting, fishing and lots and lots of acrage.

Now, I'm not trying to sound like an ass but unless your new job or job transfer is paying you a significant amount of money more than you are currently making I would seriously consider not taking it. I'm not too familiar with Fort Wayne but I would imagine it will be 100% different than where you are moving from and I'm not talking 100% for the better. Riverside can get real hot in the summer, traffic is an absolute nightmare 7 days a week. Gangs can be pretty bad, if you are white you will be the minority (do you speak Spanish?). If you live in Riverside county but work in LA or Orange County your commute will be some of the worst traffic in the country. Even though the Riverside is not the greatest place to live the cost of living compared to your part of the country is quite high. Still looking at an average size house in a less than great neighborhood where I would not leave anything unlocked, ever, costing $400k plus. You are going to rent an apt? Might as well live in Mexico City and pick up an illicit "habit".

Does that help? Oh, tinted windows are what will get you pulled over. Tires sticking out past your fenders could if they are obnoxious sticking out.

Honestly, if you have any questions about your move feel free to PM me and we can chat on the phone.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Cali is great, I love it here, if not for the quakes, full blown communism, property taxes from hell, gun laws, drought, and the f'n Raider fans everywhere, this place would be perfect.

D.Snacks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Austin

I don't have mud flaps and NorCal.

D.Snacks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You don't need to worry about the lift... and I see few lifted guys with mud flaps, most go without. The only thing that will get you pulled over for a lot is a dark tint on the front windows. At least this goes for the LA area.

Yeah, I worry about my Tint more than missing flaps.

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Interesting. Over here the tires are not allowed to stick out of the fenders at all, but I still fitted my truck with mud flaps, just because it stays a lot cleaner that way. Before I had them I just had to run through a puddle to have the whole lower half of the driver's door covered in mud.

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Generally if your trucks bumper covers less than half of the back tire you need mud flaps. However SoCal is land of mall queen trucks with ridonkulous lifts, pre runner wanna be's and jeeps. I had lifted jeeps with over sized tires that extended past the fenders and never once had trouble. To sum it up unless you drive like an ******** you'll be ok. Btw I grew up in Moreno Valley which is the next town over.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They even pull you over for having your tow mirrors flipped out on the HD trucks.. I know I got pulled over for it. Pissed off the cop too when I quoted him the vehicle code that gave measurements that shoes legality...

But Cali is a beautiful state but heavily against modified vehicles, its very liberal and laws get passed every year making it harder and harder to even change a air filter and be smog legal. as for your lift your good, mud flaps go either way and tires sticking out, depends on the cop its hit or miss with where in the state you live. There still is alot you can do here and the aftermarket keeps up with cali regs pretty well on some stuff though

and with all that welcome to Comi-fornia I mean california.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Moving out to Cali!

I'm Sorry

and your from Texas. You're going to be really upset about all of California's stupid laws. Oh and hope you brought some water.:roflsquared:

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
They even pull you over for having your tow mirrors flipped out on the HD trucks.. I know I got pulled over for it. Pissed off the cop too when I quoted him the vehicle code that gave measurements that shoes legality...

But Cali is a beautiful state but heavily against modified vehicles, its very liberal and laws get passed every year making it harder and harder to even change a air filter and be smog legal. as for your lift your good, mud flaps go either way and tires sticking out, depends on the cop its hit or miss with where in the state you live. There still is alot you can do here and the aftermarket keeps up with cali regs pretty well on some stuff though

and with all that welcome to Comi-fornia I mean california.

What's so funny to me is you have all these performance parts manufacturers, custom shops etc in California yet you can't use half there **** IN California. I know they service other places but just find it funny.

And yes Parents live in Orange County and are dieing to leave. Moved out there for my dads job and he's been looking for something else for a while.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BlownGP, Not only that but its so expensive to do business here for them. But Socal is the birth place to Drag Racing and alot of other Car related history so it still kinda makes sense they are here even though the controlling types took over later. Its not really too bad as much as we complain, we just have to pay more for parts that have a E0 or CARB# for no other reason than $$$ in my opinion. There is alot of orginizations like SAN (Sema Action Network) which help to fight the uphill political battle.

But as for moving, I'm kinda stuck. Cant grow rice in Nevada or Wyoming.. SO I will just live here with "illegal" mods to my truck and cars