Mud flaps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fivesense

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
I have two neighbors that are LEO. They both said my jurisdiction has a law mandating (rarely enforced) mud flaps on cars and trucks.

It got me thinking; I don't have mud flaps on my 2018 Ram 2500 6.7 but understand the benefit of keeping mud off the body of my truck.

Who here actually uses mud flaps and do they work? Any issues with fuel economy, etc..?

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have installed and used mud flaps on all my trucks going back to my 73 Powerwagon. In the old days, they did not have molded mudflaps like they do today, and you had to do a lot of measuring and drilling. With the mudflaps today, they are so easy to install, and some are even screw-less. To answer your question, YES they do work with keeping your vehicle cleaner, and if there is any fuel economy issues it isn't even noticeable. Most states only require mud flaps if the tires extend past the wheel wells. Here is the ID statue for this, kind of confusing, but I didn't see anything about mud flaps on cars..
Section 49-949 – Idaho State Legislature

https://legislature.idaho.gov › statutesrules › idstat › title49 › sect49-949

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
I use them, have on all my trucks.
Prevents snow build up behind front tires by doors and protects paint behind tires from road rash.
Prefer to flexible rubber ones over the rigid ones.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
mudflapb2.JPG mudflapf2.JPG Please excuse the dirty truck. It has been raining a lot here lately & I haven't had a chance to clean it up. I didn't really want to put flaps on mine. I thought the fender flares would do a good enough job keeping the mud splatters off the sides of the truck. Well it didn't so I bought these at Pep Boys & then added some diamond plate to try & dress them up a bit. They do a great job of keeping the mud off the sides of the truck. No noticeable changes in fuel mileage.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Have mud flaps front and rear on both my 06 SRW and 18 DRW. When I got the 18 it only had rears and the first trip up a forest road had me ordering fronts. They do a good job of reducing rock damage and keeping truck cleaner. I have the Mopar rubber heavy duty flaps rather than molded flaps as I think they provide better coverage.

BTW: in Arizona the law requires all trucks (including pickups) over 10K GVW and all lifted pickups to have rear flaps that go to 6" above the ground. Seldom enforced for non-commercial trucks stock height trucks but I've had a couple friends with lifted trucks get tickets for not having flaps.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They really have no impact for MPG. Purchased mine from DuraFlap. There is a Forum Discount when ordering from them.

staying_tuned

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We run them on everything to prevent salt buildup but also to prevent chips along the entire length of the lower vehicle. The lack of rear flaps by the previous owner of my truck led to tiny chips on the inside corners of my bumper. Dozens of pinhole sized dings that would have eventually succumbed to rusting out if I hadn't treated them.

boxofrokx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I see most with flaps are from the North. IE snow and salt. They are not very common here. So much so that I usually notice when a truck has them.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I could only see a mud flap law(well more of a fender flair law)if you hang your tires out farther than stock.If it's stock I can't see why it would be a law.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I always install mudflaps, not so much for the mud as I never go off road. But for the rocks that always get stuck in the tread of the tires and then go flying.

I went with the RAM OEM flaps both front and rear. Cheaper than the after market ones, and they were molded to fit.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
I used oem on my previous trucks.
They help a little but they're not a silver bullet. I've found fender flares to be generally useless. More of a cosmetic bro-dozer thing. I've had them on a few trucks in the past and didn't feel the love.

Unfortunately the only thing that realy helps are the unsightly(to some) oversized flat no frills flaps.

Brian Lee

US Air Foirce Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I upgraded my wheels and added fender flares and mud flaps from Rokblokz. They were the only ones that made a wider size that matched up with the finer flares and were made to fit on my truck and use existing screws and mounting points. They are a little bit harder rubber but keep everything clean on the side of the truck.

Leonard Russo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My trucks haven’t left dealership lots with them installed upon purchase since I bought my 1st Ram in 1994.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Those actually don't look too bad.
Got a better shot? Long side view or something?

Msquare

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Go with some Duraflaps! They are heavy duty, yet have a very clean look to them. Oh and they function great too!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio