Muffler delete, drone, and Carvens

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stateofdade

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I did a full delete. It's a mind blowing experience. When I crank up the truck, every dude in a parking lot turns around to see what kind of beast just made all that noise. Every lady that happens to be around smiles at me. My wife doesn't find that part amusing in the slightest. My main issue is drone. At highway speeds, especially between 70 and 80 mph on the interstate, it can absolutely kill you. I've gotten to the point where I set the top gear to 7th so that it keeps the rpm's just above 2k to prevent the drone.

I'm wondering if any of you have the same experience with a Carven Comp series. It still sounds great, but I'm thinking will provide just enough back pressure to keep it from killing us with the drone. Any thoughts from Comp owners? Not interested in a Progressive. Too tame.

Last edited:

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you want no drone with loud cold starts and loud WOT Corsa is the answer. Another great loud option is Borla. They are more expensive but are a full catback that will be loud with out all the drone. Let us know if we can help

OP
OP
stateofdade

stateofdade

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Would I get less drone than with the delete using a high quality muffler? The factory muffler is great for this, however it's as quiet as a mouse.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That depends on the muffler. The Borla Pro XS doesnt drone but is just a universal muffler

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the Flowmaster Outlaw replacement muffler and that ***** does drone at 70 MPH. lol
I love the cold starts and when I step on it, but the drone sucks pretty bad. I don't drive on the highway much anyways, so I can live with it. If I had to do it over again, I would probably just get a Corsa or Borla cat back.

OP
OP
stateofdade

stateofdade

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I've done a lot of reading about how the muffler design has a lot to do with drone reduction as well.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've done a lot of reading about how the muffler design has a lot to do with drone reduction as well.

EXACTLY that is why a quality full catback will drone less or not at all. They tune the muffler o the rest of the exhaust. Corsa is king at this but Borla does a great job as well. Some companies actually put a lot of engineering into this. There is a reason some of the big names cost so much more.

OP
OP
stateofdade

stateofdade

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My wife gives me the stink eye already for the amount of money I pour into mods on the truck as well as the camper so I'm having to stay below 350 to keep this under the radar. LOL

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My wife gives me the stink eye already for the amount of money I pour into mods on the truck as well as the camper so I'm having to stay below 350 to keep this under the radar. LOL

No problem, so that leaves us with either a delete kit
https://gotexhaust.com/i-23647006-s...kit-for-2009-2018-ram-1500-with-5-7-hemi.html

OR go with a Borla Pro XS and have a shop weld in some piping to make it fit. You could grab the muffler from us and should have enough left of the $350 to pay the shop to install the muffler.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963