Muffler delete for single exhaust classic?

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Does a simple bolt on pipe exist for single exhaust hemi classics? I've seen some youtube videos over the years, but it seems no one sells one other than for the OEM dual outlets. I'd like to try one on my 2019 classic crew cab, short bed. It would have to be easily DIY-able and I'd like the ability to be able to swap back to the OEM muffler if it's obnoxious. I'd leave the OEM resonator in place. Just swap out the water heater sized muffler. I don't know of any custom exhaust shops in my area these days.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does a simple bolt on pipe exist for single exhaust hemi classics? I've seen some youtube videos over the years, but it seems no one sells one other than for the OEM dual outlets. I'd like to try one on my 2019 classic crew cab, short bed. It would have to be easily DIY-able and I'd like the ability to be able to swap back to the OEM muffler if it's obnoxious. I'd leave the OEM resonator in place. Just swap out the water heater sized muffler. I don't know of any custom exhaust shops in my area these days.
Is that even legal in NY? Its going to be loud as hell for sure. Aren't they pretty strict on loud cars in some areas?

Last edited by a moderator:

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yep, the wonderful People's Republic of NY is strict, but as far as I know, that's only in regards to tampering with the emissions portion of the exhaust system. As long as the rest is in place and not a safety hazard, you're good to go.

It's so hard to tell from any of the youtube videos on it and the sound from my device's speakers, but no one complains of noise in the cabin on any of the videos I've seen. The noise outside the truck isn't any louder than buying an $800 aftermarket exhaust.

I know guys with flowmaster aftermarket systems (and others) on their dual exhaust equipped 4th gens and those seem obnoxiously loud at times, but I wonder if it has to do with the duals, how their positioned and aimed. One guy with a 2018 w/ the flowmaster system says it's loud in the cabin as well.

To me the stock single exhaust outlet is lower and angled somewhat downward, which may not be as noisy? I dunno.

Anyhoo.. I think I've pretty well talked myself out of this insanity anyway. LOL

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I did a simple delete like that on my 2006 with the single exhaust. Just kept the rear most resonator. it was not too loud and had ok sound quality. lasted 2 or 3 years before I changed it up again.
I did get pulled over once for speeding in the time I was running that delete.
After he finished writing up the ticket he was like:
I heard you coming before had a pretty good rumble there, did you modify the exhaust?
no sir all stock
are you sure?
yes this is the dodge 5.7 HEMI v8 motor. it has a big rumble sound naturally
hmm I see can you rev it up a bit for me please?
*taps the gas a lightly as possible *
oh ok sounds good have a nice day sir!

:party36:

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Yep, the wonderful People's Republic of NY is strict, but as far as I know, that's only in regards to tampering with the emissions portion of the exhaust system. As long as the rest is in place and not a safety hazard, you're good to go.

It's so hard to tell from any of the youtube videos on it and the sound from my device's speakers, but no one complains of noise in the cabin on any of the videos I've seen. The noise outside the truck isn't any louder than buying an $800 aftermarket exhaust.

I know guys with flowmaster aftermarket systems (and others) on their dual exhaust equipped 4th gens and those seem obnoxiously loud at times, but I wonder if it has to do with the duals, how their positioned and aimed. One guy with a 2018 w/ the flowmaster system says it's loud in the cabin as well.

To me the stock single exhaust outlet is lower and angled somewhat downward, which may not be as noisy? I dunno.

Anyhoo.. I think I've pretty well talked myself out of this insanity anyway. LOL
Maybe call Mufflex to see if the 2018 will work on the 2019 (might just need to update)

You must be registered for see images attach

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Crap! I kind of wish you hadn't found that. I think a lot of these parts descriptions only go to 2018 so you can't mix it up with a 5th gen Ram 1500. As far as I know, the classic's exhaust system hasn't changed since 2009 and is the same right up till today.

That is really tempting for ~$150, especially if I don't have to saw cut anything on the OEM and have the ability to swap right back to it.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Given the mufflex muffler delete kit is coming tomorrow and I had some time today, I had at removing the factory muffler and rear tailpipe/resonator assembly.

I was concerned about the captive band clamps on the OEM muffler. Two rust belt winters and 37K miles took their toll on them. I couldn't feel a hex on the nuts at first but spraying them down with penetrating oil and scrubbing some of the rust away with a rag allowed a 6pt 15mm socket to fit on. They wouldn't budge with a ratchet, but my 1/2" cordless impact rattled them loose with a shower of rust. They're still usable and don't look horrible with all the rust rattled off. The rubber dongers all slipped off OK once you shoot them with penetrating oil. I bunch of wiggling separated the pipes. As everyone knows, the muffler is huge and heavy. The tailpipe/resonator section is heavy as well. I would guess 40+ lbs between the two? Maybe more.

I ran to pick up a pizza with no muffler and she's LOUD with nothing but the long straight section of 3" exiting about under where the rear seat begins. Wayyyyyy too loud. At warm idle and at easy highway speeds it's not bad at all, but cold starts and accelerating? Hang on to your ear drums LOL! It does sound super cool if you floor it and let it roll through the gears.

I don't have high hopes with this muffler delete. I expect the truck to be louder, but if it's anything like it is now, the OEM muffler will have to go back on.

Attachments

• PPdJVefm.jpg
    PPdJVefm.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 7

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
of course its going to be demolition derby loud like that haha :superhack:
its much quieter when coming out the rear instead of somewhere under your feet!
:favorites13: