Muffler only. Flowmaster or magnaflow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Update. Got a magnaflow installed. Sounds a whole lot better. I can hear every shift now. I suddenly hate MDS though as you can hear it everytime it goes in and out. Not noticing any drone though.
Overall I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
What length and offset?

OP
OP
TheKenster

TheKenster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What length and offset?
I didn't measure but by the looks it's about a foot long. It has 1 inlet, 1 outlet.
It's offset a few inches .

They put one straight piece in after the new muffler to connect to the Y pipe to fill in the gap from the extraordinarily large stock muffler.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
I guess sound is sound...if any muffler lets more of that awesome V-8 sound through, it's going to let more that hideous MDS sound through.

Last edited:

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Try a 22" magnaflow with 5" tips. Nice deep throaty sound. Tips make as much difference as the muffler does.
Jay

Absolutely. I added Moe's 5" tips after putting in a Mufflex/Magnaflow 18 and it made all the difference.

Don't we already have 5" tips stock?

Stock is about 3"

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I guess sound is sound...if the any muffler lets more of that awesome V-8 sound through, it's going to let more that hideous MDS sound through.

Not sure where tuner access is on the 5th Gen yet. I have mine turned off permanently through my DiabloSport T1000.

At worst, you should be able to disable MDS by putting the Tranny in Manual Mode (even at 8), or possibly Tow/Haul mode. Not sure exactly how the 5th Gens are implemented. For a while, as I was waiting to update my tune due to an FCA recall flash, my tune was gone so I automatically put it in manual mode as soon as I hit D.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not sure where tuner access is on the 5th Gen yet. I have mine turned off permanently through my DiabloSport T1000.

At worst, you should be able to disable MDS by putting the Tranny in Manual Mode (even at 8), or possibly Tow/Haul mode. Not sure exactly how the 5th Gens are implemented. For a while, as I was waiting to update my tune due to an FCA recall flash, my tune was gone so I automatically put it in manual mode as soon as I hit D.
The only time I use MDS is when I’m on the highway, I do get 2-3 mpg better with it on. Everywhere else, I lock it out with manual mode.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only time I use MDS is when I’m on the highway, I do get 2-3 mpg better with it on. Everywhere else, I lock it out with manual mode.

Same, been using this method for the last 5 years or so.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Same, been using this method for the last 5 years or so.

You have more patience than me!

I would have paid the $1000 for a new PCM and Tune just to permanently turn off MDS. Getting a custom tune on top is pure gravy.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have more patience than me!

I would have paid the $1000 for a new PCM and Tune just to permanently turn off MDS. Getting a custom tune on top is pure gravy.

Patient and lazy you might say, I do have a tune in it and could permanently shut it off, but I do still use mds on the highway and rather than plugging in the tuner each time to enable it again, I just do this instead.