Muffler swap or Cat back?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What are the pros and cons of each for the 5.7 setup?

Trying to decide which route to go. I will eventually add long tube headers down the road.

Thanks for the feed back in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've just got a muffler swap, and am perfectly happy with it. The factory dual setup flows plenty of air.

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got a muffler swap to a Super 10 for the moment but will be going to the Carven catback system. If you do just a muffler swap you will want the resonators taken out. The Super 10 on my 2019 is nowhere near as loud as my 40 series on my 2013.

OP
OP
K

Kfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was all set on the Borla swap next week, then while waiting for a repair at the dealer a 4th gen came in that sounded really good. Talking to the owner it was a Carven swap. Now I am uncertain if the Borla is better.

ddelallata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Mufflex has a few options already on sale. You can go to their website or buy on eBay.
I had one on my 2014 ram r/t and it sounded awesome.
Might go
This route in a few months.

OP
OP
K

Kfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After listening to sound clips of some 19,s and 4th gen options I ordered the Borla. I love the aggressive sound, but I occasionally pull an enclosed trailer on long highway trips. I was concerned with the annoyance of the resonance of the trailer at 65-75 cruising speed. So I decided on the muffler swap.

19Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did a muffler delete this past week on my 19 while I wait for the carven kit to be shipping. It's nowhere near as loud as my 18 was with a flowmaster outlaw series muffler on it. These new cabs are very well insulated and quiet. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the sound yet. It doesn't have that nice clean sound you would get from a muffler. I'm thinking alot of the raspy/airy sound is coming from the resonators

OP
OP
K

Kfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did a muffler delete this past week on my 19 while I wait for the carven kit to be shipping. It's nowhere near as loud as my 18 was with a flowmaster outlaw series muffler on it. These new cabs are very well insulated and quiet. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the sound yet. It doesn't have that nice clean sound you would get from a muffler. I'm thinking alot of the raspy/airy sound is coming from the resonators

Who knows I may update to a carven after I do my first long haul with the Borla. I will get 5” tips before I make a final decision on the Borla.

19Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Who knows I may update to a carven after I do my first long haul with the Borla. I will get 5” tips before I make a final decision on the Borla.

Sent from my iPhone using
Tapatalk

I'm debating on doing a resonator delete and putting a nice muffler back in. Something like borla or corsa. Try and clean up the sound that it has now

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The resonators are the biggest issue. My flowmaster Super 10 is not as loud as my 40 series I had in my 2013. Inside or outside.

19Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I just had my first chance to climb back under the truck and check out what the "exhaust leak" sound was. Both of the resonators look to have a condensation weep hole on the end cap at the bottom. It's the exact sound that Im hearing that I don't like. Do you think I can weld those weeping holes shut? The resonators on my 18 didn't have these holes. I hate that exhaust leak sound that they make

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I just had my first chance to climb back under the truck and check out what the "exhaust leak" sound was. Both of the resonators look to have a condensation weep hole on the end cap at the bottom. It's the exact sound that Im hearing that I don't like. Do you think I can weld those weeping holes shut? The resonators on my 18 didn't have these holes. I hate that exhaust leak sound that they make

Ah that's what it is. I haven't looked at it that close since I'm replacing it all. I don't see why you couldn't. It may build up more in there but should spew it all out when you fire it up

OP
OP
K

Kfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are the resonators bigger on the 5gen vs 4gen?

If so I wonder if they contribute to the operation of the ANC. Curious to hear how those that do catbacks and how they play with the ANC.

19Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are the resonators bigger on the 5gen vs 4gen?

If so I wonder if they contribute to the operation of the ANC. Curious to hear how those that do catbacks and how they play with the ANC.

The resonators on the fifth gens are quite a bit larger. I'm not quite sure what the "anc" you are referring to is though.

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The resonators on the fifth gens are quite a bit larger. I'm not quite sure what the "anc" you are referring to is though.
Active noise cancellation. The resonators shouldn't have anything to do with it, although they do help quite down the exhaust which helps contribute to the overall quiet ride.

19Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Active noise cancellation. The resonators shouldn't have anything to do with it, although they do help quite down the exhaust which helps contribute to the overall quiet ride.

They definitely help quiet down the exhaust alot. There was no way I could handle how loud my 18 was with a muffler delete and just resonators. My 19 with a muffler delete is much much quieter. But I hate the sound the weeping holes make in the resonators. I'm really leaning toward trying to weld them closed and seeing if that helps

OP
OP
K

Kfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Borla going in now. The muffler guy said the resonators are straight through and designed to cut down a specific frequency and don’t affect sound other than at cruising and holding steady rpm. So who knows.
IMG_0154.jpg

Old one, looks like a small trash can.
5897c30420d9aa3fbaf00ff1b2f77d3e.jpg

All done, looks and sounds much better.
6733dfc44d6779c5f92673f04288343f.jpg

Last edited:

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I disagree. The resonators quiet down a lot. The Flowmaster Outlaw on my 2019 is nowhere near as loud as the 40 series on my 2013. I'm putting in a Carven catback as soon as it ships though so it will be resolved shortly.

19Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I disagree. The resonators quiet down a lot. The Flowmaster Outlaw on my 2019 is nowhere near as loud as the 40 series on my 2013. I'm putting in a Carven catback as soon as it ships though so it will be resolved shortly.

I agree completely. I had a flowmaster outlaw series muffler on my 18 and it was way louder then my muffler deleted 19. Do you notice the exhaust leak sound coming from the weeping holes in the resonators? I hate it. Sounds awful until it's warmed up

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree completely. I had a flowmaster outlaw series muffler on my 18 and it was way louder then my muffler deleted 19. Do you notice the exhaust leak sound coming from the weeping holes in the resonators? I hate it. Sounds awful until it's warmed up
Yeah I can't stand it. I was going to go back and take the resonators out but then I decided on doing a full cat back system.