Muffler swap or Cat back?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DIRTRIDER

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 REBEL
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I personally have tried a few different variations. I started by just deleting the factory muffler and left the resonators intact. That was a very subtle exhaust change. Absolutely no drone in the cab at all. These 5th gens do a much better job at keeping the cab quiet. The only downside of deleting the muffler was the sound of the exhaust going through the weeping holes on the resonators.

i'm thinking a muffler delete is going to be too loud for me. That is why I thought removing just the resonators might make a little more tailpipe noise with out making the cab interior noise level go up. What are your thoughts on just removing the resonators ? Or do you think it would even make a difference at all ? Thx.

Max Limited

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The resonators are straight through pipes built to reduce specific frequencies or at least that is my understanding. I think the resonators are what helps delete any drone. As someone has previously stated he removed the muffler and left the resonators with only a minimal increase in sound but no drone. I would be interested to hear if anyone has removed the resonators and left the stock muffler to see if it is louder and if any drone. I am with everyone else wanting more sound but no drone and am trying to be patient to listen to some of the cat-backs coming out and to get updates on drone.

19Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i'm thinking a muffler delete is going to be too loud for me. That is why I thought removing just the resonators might make a little more tailpipe noise with out making the cab interior noise level go up. What are your thoughts on just removing the resonators ? Or do you think it would even make a difference at all ? Thx.

Actually I think removing the resonators may be louder then the muffler. It's hard to tell though. The best all around solution in my optinion would to just replace the muffler with an after-market muffler and leave the resonators in place

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Actually I think removing the resonators may be louder then the muffler. It's hard to tell though. The best all around solution in my optinion would to just replace the muffler with an after-market muffler and leave the resonators in place
I currently have a Flowmaster Outlaw with the resonators still in. It doesn't sound bad but it isn't loud enough for me. Also the resonators give it a kind of exhaust leak type sound that drives me crazy. My Carven kit came in today and should be installed tomorrow.

DIRTRIDER

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 REBEL
Engine
HEMI 5.7
The resonators are straight through pipes built to reduce specific frequencies or at least that is my understanding. I think the resonators are what helps delete any drone. As someone has previously stated he removed the muffler and left the resonators with only a minimal increase in sound but no drone. I would be interested to hear if anyone has removed the resonators and left the stock muffler to see if it is louder and if any drone. I am with everyone else wanting more sound but no drone and am trying to be patient to listen to some of the cat-backs coming out and to get updates on drone.[/QUOTE

Exactly my problem, I do not want to increase cab noise very much and do not want any drone, but would like a little rumble at the tailpipe. I had an 18” mufflex system , magnaflow, on my ‘14 and the drone between 1400-1600 RPM sucked, I even added the mufflex drone suppression pipe on it but did not eliminate all the drone. Was hoping the Mopar Performance system would come out, it has resonators on it and probably what I’m looking for.

19Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I currently have a Flowmaster Outlaw with the resonators still in. It doesn't sound bad but it isn't loud enough for me. Also the resonators give it a kind of exhaust leak type sound that drives me crazy. My Carven kit came in today and should be installed tomorrow.

The exact reason I deleted my resonators was because of that awful exhaust leak sound. I hated it so much. I love the sound of just the mag muffler and no resonators that I have now. I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback about that carven kit

QuasarZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Anyone with just resonator delete yet?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member