Muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chrisy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have the MBRP dual 4" with the resonator removed cat back stainless steel. It has a wicked amount of drone. I don't mind the drone at all as it tends to drown out my PTSD. I would not trade the ground shaking, earthquake noise the truck makes two blocks away. That's why I did it, to scare old people, small children, and, animals out of my way! LOL

Rbohno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Powerwagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just got back from a trip to the coast 7 hrs each way and the drone was brutal. Especially the drive back, bad oysters = food poisoning = bad head ache among other things = I don’t like it at all, I have to figure our
whether to
change muffler or
Put resonator back on
I don’t have the money to change out entire system right now.
I love the rumble at start up but at this point after that road trip I am missing my factory peace and quiet

Rbohno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Powerwagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It seems like there should be something that sounds deep like my manga flow but with no drone however it seems like the only solution to eliminate drone and keep good sound is complete cat back system.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just put the SOLO performace delete kit on, love the sound EXCEPT there is a drone at highway speeds in 6th gear (it's an rpm thing) that is irritating. I left my resonator on as i understand the purpose is to eliminate any drone sound. Performance "seems" better but that might be because of the exhaust sound.

are you locking out MDS? I only get some drone during MDS but I usually lock it out so I rarely experience any drone.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It seems like there should be something that sounds deep like my manga flow but with no drone however it seems like the only solution to eliminate drone and keep good sound is complete cat back system.

IF Corsa ever actually builds a kit for this application that will be the answer

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I just got back from a trip to the coast 7 hrs each way and the drone was brutal. Especially the drive back, bad oysters = food poisoning = bad head ache among other things = I don’t like it at all, I have to figure our
whether to
change muffler or
Put resonator back on
I love the rumble at start up but at this point after that road trip I am missing my factory peace and quiet

You have 2 choices.
1. Put the resonator back on. This will quite down the drone but not eliminate it completely.

2. Have a muffler shop weld on a resonator tube (about 28" long for 1800 rpm drone). https://www.reddit.com/r/FocusST/comments/2bhxza/fixing_exhaust_drone_with_resonator_tube_aka_j/

Last edited:

Ram Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
are you locking out MDS? I only get some drone during MDS but I usually lock it out so I rarely experience any drone.

The drone from the mds is not as bad as when it's in 6th gear and hits that "sweet" spot in rpms. The radio eliminates a lot of the drone. Still love the exhaust sound though.
I run in the tow/haul mode and the shift points are quicker to help eliminate the drone sooner.
It's a slight irritation but nothing that would make me want to go back to the factory muffler.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
whether to
change muffler or
Put resonator back on

What muffler do you have on your truck? If you have that much drone, I'd put the resonator back on. They don't really restrict the exhaust that much and they do attenuate that drone!

Rbohno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Powerwagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What muffler do you have on your truck? If you have that much drone, I'd put the resonator back on. They don't really restrict the exhaust that much and they do attenuate that drone!
Magnaflow

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Magnaflow

yes, but which size? the shorter you guy, the worst the drone gets.
Reason I choose the 5x8x24 inch version.
slightly deeper, throaty growl. on start up and during acceleration, but settles down nicely when just cruising.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
gofishn is correct. The shorter the muffler, the louder it is and it probably has more resonance as well.

I ran a single in/dual out Magnaflow #12280 on my 2007 5.7L truck with no resonators on the back. I don't know if it was the dual pipes that made a difference or the overall length of the muffler (5x8 oval, 18" long can, 24" overall) but drone was minimal.

Also, I did not have MDS on that truck.