Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vova

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6
Hello, my name is Vova and I own a Ram 1500 2014 V6 3.6L. When driving out today, I noticed my truck was shifting in a very alarming way. The rpms went up by a thousand and then down like they are supposed to, causing my truck to sort of shake forward. This was especially true for the shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gear. I assumed it was the transmission/speed sensor, *** went ahead and bought one. When looking for its socket under the vehicle, i saw a lot of spilled oil underneath. The check engine did not go on until 10 minutes ago when I went for another short test drive and decided to scan it. I have three questions:

1. Where is the sensor socket located in the vehicle?

2. Where do I check the transmission fluid levels?

3. Does anyone know what the issue may be based on my description as well as the codes that popped up during an engine check in my attachment below?

Screenshot_20201017-200633.jpg

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Not to claim any expertise here, but you say "a lot of spilled oil" so if I assume you do mean engine oil, not trans fluid, I would suspect the oil cooler/filter unit on the top of the engine is failing. My truck is new so I have not (yet?) had that experience, but it has been posted many times in this forum as a problem.
It also contains the oil filler neck so you can shine a flashlight beside that, looking under the intake manifold to see if there's a puddle of oil. Or maybe take a piece of stiff wire and attach a small rag to it then push it under that manifold to see if there's oil on it. I think old oil with dirt in it could short out the electrical/electronic connectors and give you problems and codes. Good luck.
PS: Someone posted that a fellow overseas was planning on making a metal filter/cooler housing as a replacement for the stock plastic one---if it's out there, you might want to get one if yours is truly busted. I'd like to know if one becomes available too.

OP
OP
V

Vova

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6
You are right, in fact, I did some digging around, and it just seems like coolant fluid, and one of the small pipes is busted. I looked up what kind of coolant fluid goes into the truck and its orange/yellow colored. Getting it replaced today as well as a transmission/speed sensor just for the sake of replacing it. Its a cheap check to see if its not the thing causing my transmission issues.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You also have a permanent recorded fault, U0140, which is communication from the PCM to the BCM (Body Control Module) which could be problematic.

Once you perform your planned repairs clear the codes and check to see if any return.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
You are right, in fact, I did some digging around, and it just seems like coolant fluid, and one of the small pipes is busted. I looked up what kind of coolant fluid goes into the truck and its orange/yellow colored. Getting it replaced today as well as a transmission/speed sensor just for the sake of replacing it. Its a cheap check to see if its not the thing causing my transmission issues.

Good for you, glad it's not something nasty/expensive, happy days!