Mustang Engine! picked up a what checks out to be 65-66 289 4bbl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
Looking forward to rebuild this engine, got it mostly disassembled, filthy , but cleaning up well, looking to acid bath the block, heads , and intake, freeze plugs rotted but other than that, not bad. Ring in one cyl was broken!

Should I rebuild Stock? or add improvements?. My inclination is "stock" , but parts availability doesn't always allow that!
Opinions?

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got a nice set of aluminum SB ford heads sitting on the shelf in my garage. Never bolted to anything. They are fully ported and polished Canfield heads that I was supposed to use for my mustang but the car got totaled before I did anything. Dont know where you live but I'm looking to sell them at a reasonable price

OP
OP
S

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
Thanks Rlaf, they would probably be nice, But I have made up my mind to rebuild as original. A stock 65-66 289 4bbl should remain original. It is my intent to eventually sell as original or find a 65 -66 Mustang to put it in.

Last edited:

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Thanks Rlaf, they would probably be nice, But I have made up my mind to rebuild as original. A stock 65-66 289 4bbl should remain original. It is my intent to eventually sell as original or find a 65 -66 Mustang to put it in.
I suspect that unless you find the Mustang the engine came from it will not have much value in original form. Personally, I'd rebuild it in a modern configuration with better horsepower and driveability then put it in a Mustang with better suspension parts and have fun with the combination.

Remember those original engines, unless the factory HO options, were ok but not a lot to write home about performance wise.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Better Performance is what makes Hi Performance more interesting, check those aluminum heads out, he wants to get rid of them and you'll get a great deal in the end.

RaptorHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500HD
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a few interesting engines too, 428CJ, 428PI (correct for a 68 Shelby GT500) have a 429CJ and a 429 Thunderjet in the small blocks I have a 351C 4V motor, I have a set of 351C Aussie 2V heads I want to put on a 351W and make a "Clevor" or Boss style motor..

There are alot of parts for that 289--to keep it stock or to build it up.. 289 is a great little high reving motor.. Go to Auto Crafters, CJ ponies etc,,just google mustang restoration, most places will have what you need..

OP
OP
S

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
I have it disassembled, but have not yet got the camshaft out, having trouble with that for some reason, but have not spent any time yet to see why. Some of the lifters are not coming out either.
But again, haven't spent any time figuring it out yet.

OP
OP
S

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
When I first got it, I was hoping I found a K-code, the block checked out. However I hadn't checked the heads, which I should have, and they didn't check out. After disassembling I knew I didn't, as it didn't have the counter weight and other stuff the Hi-Po came with. The Hi-Po block was used in a lot of models at the time, but itself is no big deal. I didn't pay much anyway so it didn't matter.
However I do have the next best thing which is the 289 4BBl . Not worth near as much, but still a bit of coin.

I am going to rebuild stock and hope I find an era Stang to put it in, or I may sell it. I don't know yet.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
Having built and raced many small block fords......last one being a 302 with aluminum heads at 13:1 compression in my figure 8 car, 289 4 barrel stock seems lame by comparison. Go with the better heads and build it. Have fun.