Musty smell in cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prairieboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just got finished washing my truck with a pressure washer and when I went to drive away, it smelled musty inside the cab. It didn't stick around very long though.

I first noticed when I picked it up at the dealership after they had washed it for me. Only have had the truck a couple of weeks so don't know the whole history but thought I'd check here to see if anyone might know. I'm going to run out and check if it might be the 3rd breaklight issue as well.

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just got finished washing my truck with a pressure washer and when I went to drive away, it smelled musty inside the cab. It didn't stick around very long though.

I first noticed when I picked it up at the dealership after they had washed it for me. Only have had the truck a couple of weeks so don't know the whole history but thought I'd check here to see if anyone might know. I'm going to run out and check if it might be the 3rd breaklight issue as well.

Take notice to see if you get a blast when you start the car. My suspicion is that it is from air sitting for a period of time after shutting the vehicle down in “recirc” mode.

Also, may want to check cabin filter. I have noticed this occur in a Cherokee loaner I had as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Very common, I use Lysol through the vents on the top of the hood. I run the air conditioner, heater, and just fresh air vent and spray every time. The 4th one is recirc, by that time there is so much lysol in there you don't need to spray, just hit recirc and run it on the highest level.

They also have cabin filters with carbon, I think the ones that come from the factory are just paper. I just ordered 4 for my wife's car, her vents are horrible. I do many lysol treats with her car.

abc70444-7303-47b9-bf9f-46bdd5f2f5ba_1.256cef358d6eff21b4b2cfc293d75416.jpeg-16b642c8ba88d906d2ee43d2630de117c36b24c6-optim-450x450.jpg

OP
OP
P

prairieboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Possibly. But I drove to the car wash and never noticed it, only after it was freshly washed.

I thought there was no cabin filter on these trucks.

@Burla, are you referring to the Hood scoops on the outside of the truck?

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Possibly. But I drove to the car wash and never noticed it, only after it was freshly washed.

I thought there was no cabin filter on these trucks.

Depending on year and model, there could be a CAF. Check the build sheet. Many on the forum suggest adding it as MOPAR makes a mod. Had mine done by dealer. Also the CAF protects your evaporator.

Depending on the circumstances and vehicle use, just a hunch on the air air sitting in the system. Especially if it’s not consistent it doesn’t sound like it would me microbial. I wouldn’t suggest masking it with products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjyergler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely check the 3rd brake light. I had the same problem; it went away after I fixed the leak.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Third brake light is the easiest fix ever, everyone should do it when they buy a ram, the oem seal blows donky balls. Here is my thread on it. I miss understood, I thought the smell was coming through the vents.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Common. Most often the musty smell is traced to the AC/heater box under the dash. Inside is our heater core. It is a breeding area for mold and mildew. First, check the drain tube located on the passenger side of the firewall down low at the bottom of the box. Common for that to get clogged. I have used two products that eliminated the odor. A/CPRO Evaporator Odor Eliminator or FJC Inc Evaporator Odor Control. The ACPRO is what my AC tech uses. Last clean out a couple years ago. Another tip "IF" you use a car wash. Set the air control on outside air only, heat and cool off. Fan on. When the dry blowers come on at the end of the car wash, they will force air into the vents in front of the windshield and help keep the system cleaned out.

Stevie5780

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I get a musty smell and it is coming from the doors im thinking that there is mold growing in the doors because when i open the doors and pull the gasket away from the bottom of the doors waters comes out

Any one dealing with this problem ?

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like mentioned above my money is on 3rd brake light. Bomb it with the air freshener bombs at auto parts store and then keep a damprid absorbent in there for a few weeks. The humidity is so bad down here I keep one in pretty much all summer.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@LoadedExpressRam @Hemi395 you realize that this thread is 3 years old and @Stevie5780 is asking about water trapped in the doors?
If water is being trapped in the doors, whatever is blocking the drains needs to be cleaned out. It's not a regularly reported problem.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Doors got mentioned about 8 posts in ,he should have started his own instead of crashing a two year old post maybe he could get more responses

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@LoadedExpressRam @Hemi395 you realize that this thread is 3 years old and @Stevie5780 is asking about water trapped in the doors?
If water is being trapped in the doors, whatever is blocking the drains needs to be cleaned out. It's not a regularly reported problem.
Well im glad I was finally able to help him.