My 04 1500 4.7 rebuild documentary with pics starts today !!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ole Buck

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well I finally got her together this weekend. I want ahead and put new everything, starter alternator battery cables the works. Being that she had not had power in a while after hooking the battery i turned the key on ( man hearing that annoying ding **** was wonderful ) and let it sit for ten seconds. I did this twice. Pulled the fuel pump fuse so i could cycle the engine a few times put the fuse back in turned the key the pump sang a tune and she fired on the second spin. Oh man did she fire, straight to 1200 rpms and would not come down. Oil pressure good volts water temp all good. Shut her down. Got a cup of coffee and staring at the engine, just thinking what would make her idol so high. Did some searching and then boom I found it. I removed the pcv tubes and crap and replaced them with filters on the rear of the block but being that i went from my stock intake manifold to a HO one I had forgot about the how the pcv intake on the back of the manifold next to the fire wall. popped a rubber cap on her and to 600 rpms at idol she went. That thing sounds good with the headers, magna flow cats and a super 44 flow master with two turn downs. The Ho cams give it an old school loping sound. No codes, no engine light nothing.

NOW !! for the bummer, I have an oil leak somewhere. its coming out of the the hole in the very bottom of the bell housing. I replaced the main when i had it pulled. I did change the manual tranny fluid too. drained it from the bottom and filled it through the top of the gear box ( had shifter out ). It was getting dark so i will check again today. Any ideas where it could be coming from? used royal purple in both the engine and tranny so its all purple colored and that makes it kind of difficult.

will post pics tomorrow.

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LOL, that was going to be my question - whether it was engine oil or trans oil. :) You could get one of those dye kits and put it in your engine oil, then run it for a bit to see if the oil has the dye in it or not. At least that will narrow it down for you.

Orange whip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ole Buck I put a new engine in my 05 4.7.. I notice a leak from the head back left side by fire wall that is coming from what looks like a 6 or 7mm allen screw - is this a plug of some kind? The oil is seeping out from that spot? I am thinking it is not sealed properly hence the leak? Anyone familiar with this? Appreciate the help.

OP
OP
Ole Buck

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Boss you got me on this one. Right now i cant think of anything. But I will be under it this evening. If you can take a pic if what you are referring to.

OP
OP
Ole Buck

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My apologies gents. Work, holidays, and again work has held me up a little but she is finished. I have the motor and drive train all back in and she bumps along so nicely with her Ho cams, headers, Ho intake and that super 44 flowmaster. I have an extra job this evening after work so tomorrow ( Sunday ) i will take some pics when i get home. She now has a 3 inch body lift, 5 inch suspension lift and 37's. What still amazes me is I did every bit of it myself. The only thing that i sourced out was the machine work on the heads. This forum, youtube and google helped me through it. the only thing i did not replace under the hood was the power steering pump. And man o man that new flex a lite efan is the ticket. It gave me so much more room and cleaned up the area. I promise pictures are coming in the next few days.

OP
OP
Ole Buck

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
here ya go.

IMG_5999.jpg
IMG_6001.jpg
IMG_6002.jpg
IMG_6003.jpg

please excuse that positive battery cable. my fender inner liners are removed right now that's why all of the open spaces. I took them out for the alignment guy and haven't put them back in yet.

OP
OP
Ole Buck

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Back again !!! well i its been a minute but i hate leaving open documentary's. I found my oil leak. It was my oil pan. Of all the planning, reading, documentation and patience that I tried my best to adhere to the guidelines that I set for myself and I failed. Instead of spending 75 bucks and getting a brand new oil pan ( new everything else) I opted to scrape clean and reuse an old pan and it bit me. And man pulling and replacing that ******* was was harder than just pulling the engine itself. Other than that she has been doing well. After using Mobil One, Royal Purple and Red Line, i have decided on the Red line 5w30. It just sounds and feels better. And when i say sound i mean mechanically quieter as in smooth running. Yep I spent a little cash on oil in the first months but I wanted to know for myself. As of this report right now my truck is in the shop getting her new 4.56's gears front and rear. I cant wait to see how well they do with my 37's and 5 speed manual tranny. I have another endeavor that i am about to embark on and that is a doing a complete raptor lining of the truck. I am going from to the Dodge gold to a GM white. I will be using the kit from u-pol and using their adjustable spray gun. I will do the same documentary for it as I have for this rebuild. See ya soon !!!!!!!!!!!!