My 2019 3500 Cummins Is Dead In My Driveway, At Only 15,000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
When did you purchase your truck Goose? Had to be very late 2019 (or early 2020) if you are still under the warranty?

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Now I have to air up the tires on my bicycle. Only other form of transportation I have. But maybe this is all good. I've been wanting to bike ride again since it's gotten cooler.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I had a truck (not RAM) do something very similar once. Turne out to be the cable between the battery and starter. Apparently that cable had some electronics in it to help with power distribution. Very odd.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My ‘14 Cummins did the same thing in July ‘18, everything lit up fine, headlights, dash, radio, etc. Posted on Cummins forum, all responses was bad drivers side battery.
The problem? The drivers side battery had a bad cell.
Replace them as a pair.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
If it has errors flash, have you pulled the codes? Does not need to be running for that, just in "run".

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
If it has errors flash, have you pulled the codes? Does not need to be running for that, just in "run".
Truck was towed to the Dealership on Friday. Today I mailed them the key fob.

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
OEM (and some aftermarket) batteries have been known to fail within 2-3 years. Mine failed at 39 months old. Granted, I could have attempted to have the dealership pro-rate the batteries toward a new pair, but we had to get on the road that day and the round trip travel cost would have exceeded the cost of a new pair of NAPA AGM batteries. Changed them myself; including the trip to and from the NAPA store, we were on the road in a couple of hours. I was glad the problem occurred at home, as replacing them at the campground would have been more difficult.

The symptoms described by the OP indicate possible battery failure... a complete load test should provide more information.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
OEM (and some aftermarket) batteries have been known to fail within 2-3 years. Mine failed at 39 months old. Granted, I could have attempted to have the dealership pro-rate the batteries toward a new pair, but we had to get on the road that day and the round trip travel cost would have exceeded the cost of a new pair of NAPA AGM batteries. Changed them myself; including the trip to and from the NAPA store, we were on the road in a couple of hours. I was glad the problem occurred at home, as replacing them at the campground would have been more difficult.

The symptoms described by the OP indicate possible battery failure... a complete load test should provide more information.
My Ram is still under the power train warranty. If it is batteries, I'm not paying for it. If I incur a problem, I'm on the horn to Larry H Miller corporate

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
My Ram is still under the power train warranty. If it is batteries, I'm not paying for it. If I incur a problem, I'm on the horn to Larry H Miller corporate
Like I said, they replaced mine for free and it wasn't even my local dealership because were full time rvers.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Like I said, they replaced mine for free and it wasn't even my local dealership because were full time rvers.

They should have my key fob tomorrow. So, we'll see how this goes.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
They should have my key fob tomorrow. So, we'll see how this goes.
Hopefully that's all it is and they replace the battery. Then they'll feel like dumb ***'s for spending ask that transport money getting it back and forth for such a cheap fix

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Hopefully that's all it is and they replace the battery. Then they'll feel like dumb ***'s for spending ask that transport money getting it back and forth for such a cheap fix
Yup. And then they have to send someone all the way down here to pick me up to get the truck. A 190 mile round trip.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Yup. And then they have to send someone all the way down here to pick me up to get the truck. A 190 mile round trip.
After they pick you up tell em you got some running around you got to do before they close and have them take you to run all your errands:D

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
oh sweet jesus, you bought it at a Larry Miller? i can't f'in stand those cucks. I found my truck at a local small family dealer in Sandy, Utah. Amazing folks. I had too many bad experiences and serious lack of authenticity and integrity from dealerships. Plus their process takes soo f'in long. You can spell it out for those idiots and they still ask you questions based on what they want to sell you, not what you want to buy. I don't get how people fall for their stupid tactics.

Last edited:

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
For anyone who reads this and could use some help on how to get the best deal aside from buying at the end of the year, don't ever disclose up front how you plan to buy it (i.e. finance versus cash) or that you are for certain trading in your vehicle. They will adjust their prices a lot of times based on what you tell them and you may not know how they do it. Also, every little charge on the final numbers like any strange fees can be negotiated out. Don't be afraid to leave the dealer because they won't budge for $1k. If you get up and leave and go grab some dinner or wait until the next morning, I'm betting 9/10 times they will call back and tell you "my manager said we can make that work for you!" lmao. It's always fun to ask them why they changed their mind after you've signed and taken possession of the vehicle.