My 3 Month Old Kickers Are Crackling! Time For The Real Audio Build; Help Wanted!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly what your asking is like the tons of people here who ask what muffler sounds best.... its 100% subjective and based on each persons tastes really. youve been told the better brands that make good quality products and also been warned about crap ones to stay away from. weve all helped you out here, any more help and we might as well buy and install it for you to. Ive seen people write you like dang novels of information man, cmon you gotta meet people half way and take what your given then do your own testing and research with what weve given you in mind.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just sayin, my F was pretty dang sick lol.

ok back to your regular scheduled **** show :anitoof:

20160402_161202.jpg

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just sayin, my F was pretty dang sick lol.

ok back to your regular scheduled **** show :anitoof:

View attachment 119871
Love it!
d1be68a67c0379eca5caf6fd1927e3b6.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Honestly what your asking is like the tons of people here who ask what muffler sounds best.... its 100% subjective and based on each persons tastes really. youve been told the better brands that make good quality products and also been warned about crap ones to stay away from. weve all helped you out here, any more help and we might as well buy and install it for you to. Ive seen people write you like dang novels of information man, cmon you gotta meet people half way and take what your given then do your own testing and research with what weve given you in mind.
Okay, we don't have to post anymore. I'll compile a list from what I have and previously researched and try to find some places and demo some equipment.

Sent from my magic 5-inch

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Kicker speakers are terrible. I know of a lot of people on here that use them, and no disrespect to them, but I would never use them in any of my vehicles. As an installer I saw WAYYY too many sets of those things die.

These kind of threads can go into so much info and detail that it can be overwhelming. I’ll try to keep it as simple as possible. There are a million ways to do it, and every single person will have a different opinion of what should be done.

What I did is this, in short. Pioneer double din, Infinity kappa 3 way 6x9’s in the front doors, kappa 5.25 2 ways in the back doors, polk audio tweeters in the factory dash locations with their own crossovers, 4 channel amp under the front passenger seat sending 80w rms per channel to the speakers, alpine type r 10” in a ported fox acoustics box under the rear driver side seat with a 500w rms amp under the front drivers seat. I think that’s it lol.

My advice, DONT try to get any bass out of your door speakers. This is how they get distorted and blown. They’re just not made for that and the construction of a door panel doesn’t lend itself well to creating bass.

Also, unless it’s a straight bolt in, don’t bother changing the backs to 6.5s if you’re getting a sub. The sub will provide all the bass you need and there’s no reason to modify anything to fit a larger speaker in there.

Core-Lokt I think is his name on here has a thread on audio upgrades that me and some other people contributed a lot of information to. It might be worth looking it up and reading through it.

What size tweeters, how were you powering them, and how much power do they get?

I, too, also like the idea of a factory look for speaker locations. But I will do tweets in the pillars like Chris if it'll provide a benefit. That's not too extreme.

Certainly not like the competition guys fiber-glassing everything up to fit boucoup speakers everywhere pointed at the center of the interior...

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I, too, also like the idea of a factory look for speaker locations. But I will do tweets in the pillars like Chris if it'll provide a benefit. That's not too extreme.

Certainly not like the competition guys fiber-glassing everything up to fit boucoup speakers everywhere pointed at the center of the interior...

Utilize the passive crossovers that come with component set. Power will depend on what the set is rated at.

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Utilize the passive crossovers that come with component set. Power will depend on what the set is rated at.

I was asking about his setup in particular. But thank you.

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was asking about his setup in particular. But thank you.

I'd put money he's doing the same. I don't think I've ever seen tweeters ran off of their own amp. Not saying it's never been done, but there's no need.

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
I'd put money he's doing the same. I don't think I've ever seen tweeters ran off of their own amp. Not saying it's never been done, but there's no need.

I dunno, he's running 3-way 6x9 and coax 5.25 with a 10". Nothing there about components at all...

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dunno, he's running 3-way 6x9 and coax 5.25 with a 10". Nothing there about components at all...

A separate tweeter (that he said is mounted in the pillar) = Component set.

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Infinity kappa 3 way 6x9’s in the front doors, kappa 5.25 2 ways in the back doors, polk audio tweeters in the factory dash locations with their own crossovers

Nope. Sounds to me like he's running just some separate tweeters in the 3.5" speaker slots on the dash and multi-way stock sizes the rest of the way around.

I could be wrong, EASILY wrong, but idk of any multi-way speaker that also has a separate tweeter with it.

I have a question about multi-way speakers, though. Do they have inbuilt x-overs or are they played straight up and each individual driver just does the correct job better, and so it sounds good?

Or is it that cheap multi-way speakers are through, and good ones have inbuilt x-overs?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Even though I said I was done in here I’ll go ahead and answer your question.

Short answer is they are ran off of the front channels of my 4 channel amp, along with my front door speakers, but they have passive crossovers inline with them. I believe they are 1” silk dome tweeters. They are getting around 75w rms.

Long answer is they are part of a Polk MOMO component set I had years ago. The original MOMO series stuff from around 11 years ago was awesome. To this day I still can’t find a tweeter that sounds better than these. So I hung on to them, along with the crossovers that came with the component set. I installed these tweeters and used the crossovers just for them. Being that they came from a component set the crossovers have a connection for the woofers as well but they are not used anymore. So yeah, they’re powered from my front left and right channels of my 4 channel amp, go through passive crossovers, and then to the tweeters.

Pretty much anytime you buy tweeters on their own though, they will come with some sort of crossover. Most of the time it’s essentially a “bass blocker” which is basically a capacitor that will cut low frequencies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Even though I said I was done in here I’ll go ahead and answer your question.

Short answer is they are ran off of the front channels of my 4 channel amp, along with my front door speakers, but they have passive crossovers inline with them. I believe they are 1” silk dome tweeters. They are getting around 75w rms.

Long answer is they are part of a Polk MOMO component set I had years ago. The original MOMO series stuff from around 11 years ago was awesome. To this day I still can’t find a tweeter that sounds better than these. So I hung on to them, along with the crossovers that came with the component set. I installed these tweeters and used the crossovers just for them. Being that they came from a component set the crossovers have a connection for the woofers as well but they are not used anymore. So yeah, they’re powered from my front left and right channels of my 4 channel amp, go through passive crossovers, and then to the tweeters.

Pretty much anytime you buy tweeters on their own though, they will come with some sort of crossover. Most of the time it’s essentially a “bass blocker” which is basically a capacitor that will cut low frequencies.
Okay. Thank you. Sorry for being a butt. Though, now I want to ask how you're powering the rear door speakers.

Currently assuming you've spliced them in with the front 6x9s(?)

Edit: wait, no, you're running the 6x9s and tweets on the front channel separately with the tweets getting their bass blockers on their line.

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi

You're right about the subjectivity of it. When I was in best buy, the JBL's sounded really good. They just didn't have a 5.25 there. Or they didn't have a 6x9. And they were costlier compared to the kickers, which were my second-ish pick. [couldn't really decide a second pick. I knew one set sounded bad, and the JBL's sounded great, the rest were in the middle]

In the end I decided on the kickers because they had my sizes, didn't sound bad, and had lots of excursion for bass. Anyway, I've already stated the following, but I'm going to take what you guys have given me, everything else I've read about, and find some audio shops that have as many of these for demos as I can, as well as ask their opinions for non-intrusive [it terms of mounting] speaker setups. IE, do I go stock sizes? 6.5's all around and 3.5's dash? 6.5's all around and bullets in the dash? etc.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay. Thank you. Sorry for being a butt. Though, now I want to ask how you're powering the rear door speakers.

Currently assuming you've spliced them in with the front 6x9s(?)

Edit: wait, no, you're running the 6x9s and tweets on the front channel separately with the tweets getting their bass blockers on their line.

Yes, the front 6x9s and tweeters are running off the front outputs of the amp, and the rear 5.25s are running off the rear outputs of the amp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam