My 6 year Interstate battery went dead after 2 years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tangent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I had to call AAA to have them install a replacement at work. The old Interstate battery was completely dead. I have sworn by Interstate since the 80's and am wondering if they have cheapened their product to cut costs? maybe I just got a dud.

I dont plan on keeping the AAA battery very long, but dint know if I will go with an Interstate again.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
It happens. They literally produce hundreds of thousands of batteries a year. Most are made by the same few companies. There are bound to be bad ones. I used to run an auto center and saw it often. Did you get to keep the Interstate? Surely it has some warranty left.

OP
OP
Tangent

Tangent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I still have it so I ca trade it in if I get a other one

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I had to call AAA to have them install a replacement at work. The old Interstate battery was completely dead. I have sworn by Interstate since the 80's and am wondering if they have cheapened their product to cut costs? maybe I just got a dud.

I dont plan on keeping the AAA battery very long, but dint know if I will go with an Interstate again.
How long did you get out of the OEm battery?

OP
OP
Tangent

Tangent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The original lasted about 4 years, which is when I got an Interstate battery

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Be sure there isn't something drawing off it when the truck sits. I went through a couple batteries before diving deeper and realizing its not the battery but some electronic "gremlin". It's at the dealer now and they're trying to figure it out.

As an aside, my RV has two Interstate batteries that lasted 6+ years and when I went to replace them I did a bit of research and found people having a bunch of problem with them (Costco reviews mainly). I ended up rolling the dice with them again due to cost/availability but am a bit concerned. So, there may be something to them being made worse lately.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have interstate replacements on mine and wifes vehicle no issues, but then again oem gave me 7 years on both cars. Has been the only battery I ever used, so far no issues. But hey, even we have to die, as in nothing is perfect, maybe a bad battery maybe parasitic power loss, so see how the aaa battery holds up. I'm pretty sure that interstate battery should be under warranty. Costco has a no questions asked 36 mo warranty, full refund. They wont even dock you for parasitic power loss, they will just replace it. All you have to do is not alter date code and bring it back.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Modern vehicles always have parasitic power draw from the electronics. More so when the FOB is within 6 feet proximity. If folks don't use them daily (retired, pandemic, work from home, etc.), it's wise to leave a trickle charger on the battery.

I put in an AGM instead of a conventional flooded wet cell battery for just this reason. Their A-h ratings are generally higher due to their higher density lead. AGM's can sit longer.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Modern vehicles always have parasitic power draw from the electronics. More so when the FOB is within 6 feet proximity. If folks don't use them daily (retired, pandemic, work from home, etc.), it's wise to leave a trickle charger on the battery.

I put in an AGM instead of a conventional flooded wet cell battery for just this reason. Their A-h ratings are generally higher due to their higher density lead. AGM's can sit longer.
I got 4 1/2 on OEM right now. Battery doing OK, but last time put a meter on it, had a lil over 12.2 resting, which is a lil low. So, one of the days kinda soon, will go and get a decent AGM and put in there, since my truck does not run that often and is a Driveway Queen, more in Spring to Fall, run my MC when I can, but winter run the truck. Heck, I just put an AGM in my MC a couple of weeks ago and even a new battery in my Lawn Tractor, so stands to reason will need truck battery, as they seem to all be going a lil weak this year, LMAO.

Elvira

Reaction score
I got 4 1/2 on OEM right now. Battery doing OK, but last time put a meter on it, had a lil over 12.2 resting, which is a lil low. So, one of the days kinda soon, will go and get a decent AGM and put in there, since my truck does not run that often and is a Driveway Queen, more in Spring to Fall, run my MC when I can, but winter run the truck. Heck, I just put an AGM in my MC a couple of weeks ago and even a new battery in my Lawn Tractor, so stands to reason will need truck battery, as they seem to all be going a lil weak this year, LMAO.
That is too funny, i did the same with my Harley with an agm, I replaced battery in my Ram this year too with an agm..makes a big difference because i don't drive it often. I think or should I say i hope I am good for another few years now. lol

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is too funny, i did the same with my Harley with an agm, I replaced battery in my Ram this year too with an agm..makes a big difference because i don't drive it often. I think or should I say i hope I am good for another few years now. lol
Does yer HD look like this? LOL.....
IMG_1188.JPG

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Battery years are similar to dog years, 2 = 6
That's just the way it is.

:deal:

CAGEYAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'm going into my 6th winter with the OEM battery. According to my $15 Harbor Freight load tester, the stock 800 CCA battery is in good shape. There have been no symptoms or issues. But...I don't want to be stranded and AGM batteries can go quickly. So I've been shopping. I can get an Interstate MTX-49/H8 for $199.95 through my wholesale account. However, I have an Odyssey battery, in my BMW motorcycle which gets operated only seasonally, for the last 10 years and it's still going strong.
So..I'm ordering an Odyssey ODP-AGM49 H8 L5 for my RAM 1500.
Normally, Odyssey H8 batteries are in the $330-$350 range. I found a ODP-AGM49 H8 L5 online in CT for $280.99 + tax. With Free Shipping. I pulled the trigger. BTW, the Odyssey H8 weighs 3 lbs. more than the Interstate H8. Odyssey claims they use "pure" (I'm assuming the lead is not recycled but who knows) lead which let's them use thinner and more lead plates than competitors.
I'll let you know what date code is present if any when the battery arrives:
tempImageSixWEq.png

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm going into my 6th winter with the OEM battery. According to my $15 Harbor Freight load tester, the stock 800 CCA battery is in good shape. There have been no symptoms or issues. But...I don't want to be stranded and AGM batteries can go quickly. So I've been shopping. I can get an Interstate MTX-49/H8 for $199.95 through my wholesale account. However, I have an Odyssey battery, in my BMW motorcycle which gets operated only seasonally, for the last 10 years and it's still going strong.
So..I'm ordering an Odyssey ODP-AGM49 H8 L5 for my RAM 1500.
Normally, Odyssey H8 batteries are in the $330-$350 range. I found a ODP-AGM49 H8 L5 online in CT for $280.99 + tax. With Free Shipping. I pulled the trigger. BTW, the Odyssey H8 weighs 3 lbs. more than the Interstate H8. Odyssey claims they use "pure" (I'm assuming the lead is not recycled but who knows) lead which let's them use thinner and more lead plates than competitors.
I'll let you know what date code is present if any when the battery arrives:
View attachment 504850

The lead plates are thinner so more can be jammed in the case - the fiberglass mesh separator is the key to making this work - that is what absorbs the electrolyte liquid. Developed for the military, a more efficient, longer lasting, spill proof, and maintenance free conventional lead-acid battery. Really well designed.