My 6 year Interstate battery went dead after 2 years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Get the Haz-Mat sheet for the battery you are interested in to see who really makes it.
I jumped off the Interstate band wagon 4 or 5 years ago when the Interstate Guy came out and told me they were nothing special anymore.
Local guy, works at the local Company store, located right next to I-80. that does mostly Wholesale, but the store has a small retail store front.
he was getting ready to retire and he too was ticked about Interstate Quality falling of a steep cliff. His Words.

He is the one who told me to read haz mat sheets and rcommended Decca/East Penn.

CAGEYAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It fits like a glove.
Super.
The battery arrived today, intact, which is always a plus.
I ordered it from FCP Euro in Milford, CT. Three days, free shipping and at $280.99, best price I found.
Here's the cherry on top-read the attached FCP warranty in the attached photo-lifetime replacement!
I don't see a date code on the battery but I'll check more thoroughly tomorrow.IMG_7788.jpegFullSizeRender.jpeg

CAGEYAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Had to go to the Odyssey website to figure out the date code.
Survey says: F - 2, which means June 2022. Not bad.
Fresh battery, great price, free shipping and lifetime replacement guarantee? WIN, WIN, WIN &...WIN.
IMG_7791.jpeg

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
What the heck is FCP Euro?

CAGEYAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a lot of deep cycle batteries. The Interstate ones are below expectations. Even the Walmart batteries last longer. Unfortunately, Interstate is just a name now. I bought one 15 years ago and it lasted 6-7 years! When I bought a camper in 2018, the Interstate failed within a couple years. They don't have any warranty to speak of. It's "a seasonal battery." Something changed with Interstate around 10 years ago. I have an Interstate in my car that I don't drive often. The car sat for 4 weeks and I had some electrical issues. They went away after driving the car around and charging the battery. I have been buying Die Hards. They have been really solid. Bought a new camper this year and they put two interstates in them. ugh!

OP
OP
Tangent

Tangent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You gys have talkedme into either a Die Hard Platinum or an Odessey. thanks!

fourpoint7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have interstate replacements on mine and wifes vehicle no issues, but then again oem gave me 7 years on both cars. Has been the only battery I ever used, so far no issues. But hey, even we have to die, as in nothing is perfect, maybe a bad battery maybe parasitic power loss, so see how the aaa battery holds up. I'm pretty sure that interstate battery should be under warranty. Costco has a no questions asked 36 mo warranty, full refund. They wont even dock you for parasitic power loss, they will just replace it. All you have to do is not alter date code and bring it back.

fourpoint7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 1st cousin works for Firestone. They use to sell interstate batteries back in 2017. Now they switched to Diehard - (Advanced auto bought Diehard from Sears for 45.5 million dollars.) Back in 2017 my cousin got me a interstate battery for my 95 dodge ram. So far the battery is holding up very nicely for it being 5 yrs old. The battery case is black with a lighting bolt picture on the top of battery, not the white & green case battery. I'm hopeing I can get 8 years plus out of it.

dc327

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went with the Odessey also. AGM and up to 1500 cca at starting. Was around the same 275 or so.

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had to call AAA to have them install a replacement at work. The old Interstate battery was completely dead. I have sworn by Interstate since the 80's and am wondering if they have cheapened their product to cut costs? maybe I just got a dud.

I dont plan on keeping the AAA battery very long, but dint know if I will go with an Interstate again.
Battery’s are a crap shoot. New truck factory battery went dead in 26 months. I have a 2020 model still going strong so a toss up. But only 2-3 battery makers make all batteries

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I had to call AAA to have them install a replacement at work. The old Interstate battery was completely dead. I have sworn by Interstate since the 80's and am wondering if they have cheapened their product to cut costs? maybe I just got a dud.

I dont plan on keeping the AAA battery very long, but dint know if I will go with an Interstate again.
You're in Texas. Be happy if your battery lasts longer than 2 years.

CAGEYAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Preemptively went with an Odyssey H8 even though after 5 1/2 years OEM battery still passes load test.
Installed today with a light coat of dielectric grease and a new battery blanket. (field mice thought the old blanket made for a cozy nest....):
IMG_7793.jpeg

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've heard good things about the Odyseey battery too.
Couldn't care less where they're made as long as long as I get the life out of them or 100% replacement value.
That's what I have on my Optima battery, but I have this "snazzy" battery holder that's made just for it so I'll be keeping the Optima's.
About $270ish~ like the Odyseey.
IMG_20150909_190339_843.jpg
IMG_1547.JPG

OP
OP
Tangent

Tangent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Looks like I can get a Die Hard Platinum AGM at Firestone service centers, and I have a credit card there.

10210829_gmp_h6agm_pri_larg.jpg